@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

I learned not to trust Fox News over the years. But even if there is some truth to the Australian Gun Control results, it beats what we have now.

You learned not to trust Fox News but you trust Science Alert? Good Grief.

I haven't looked into Science Alert so I can't say. But if the Australian Study works even a little, it is a good start.

Did you even read the Fox News Article?

Here is an interesting editorial that will help focus you on differences between America and Australia. And it comes from the New York Times, perhaps that is more trustworthy for you?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/23/opinion/australias-gun-laws-america.html?mtrref=www.google.com&assetType=opinion

I could not trust it if I did.

Why? You haven't even read it or explored the contents for yourself. That is intellectually dishonest. But then again, you go about your whole life that way. That is the way you treat theology "I don't trust anything that comes out of Dallas Theological Seminary". That is the way you treat the church "They have one minor thing that I don't agree with so they are not a biblical church" etc.

If I trusted Fox News, I would take the time.

1. That doesn't even make sense.
    2. You didn't even address what I said to you.

I believe the mind is like a garden. And what we plant shapes our thoughts. But we must keep our heart with all diligence. So I do not meddle with groups I don't trust.

• dct112685
    dct112685 Posts: 1,114

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

I learned not to trust Fox News over the years. But even if there is some truth to the Australian Gun Control results, it beats what we have now.

I haven't looked into Science Alert so I can't say. But if the Australian Study works even a little, it is a good start.

Here is an interesting editorial that will help focus you on differences between America and Australia. And it comes from the New York Times, perhaps that is more trustworthy for you?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/23/opinion/australias-gun-laws-america.html?mtrref=www.google.com&assetType=opinion

Why? You haven't even read it or explored the contents for yourself. That is intellectually dishonest. But then again, you go about your whole life that way. That is the way you treat theology "I don't trust anything that comes out of Dallas Theological Seminary". That is the way you treat the church "They have one minor thing that I don't agree with so they are not a biblical church" etc.

I believe the mind is like a garden. And what we plant shapes our thoughts. But we must keep our heart with all diligence. So I do not meddle with groups I don't trust.

So who do you trust Dave?

• Dave_L
    Dave_L Posts: 2,362

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

I don't trust any of the present media. In fact, I haven't had a TV or radio for decades. No Talk Radio.... So I read my bible and read news excerpts from various sources not expecting too much from them.

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

I don't trust any of the present media. In fact, I haven't had a TV or radio for decades. No Talk Radio.... So I read my bible and read news excerpts from various sources not expecting too much from them.

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

So basically you are a modern monk living in isolation?

• Dave_L

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

So basically you are a modern monk living in isolation?

If I had a cave, I might think about doing that.

• Bill_Coley
    Bill_Coley Posts: 2,675

@davidtaylorjr said:
    You said name calling is disgusting. Therefore you must call Jesus' use of name calling disgusting or you have a double standard.

Because precision matters when we summarize each other's points of view, please note my previous post's use of the word "disgusting": (emphasis added)

"It reports a stark difference between us that between those two outcomes - mischaracterizing another person's views and calling him or her "an idiot" - I find the name calling far more disgusting."

The words I use far more often to describe name-calling are immature, childish, and juvenile.

As for Jesus, on the subject of name-calling, I suppose I take my lead from his teaching in the Sermon on the Mount.... (emphasis added)

21 “You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder; and whoever murders will be liable to judgment.’ 22 But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire.

The Holy Bible: English Standard Version. (2016). (Mt 5:21–22). Wheaton: Standard Bible Society.

The phrase "whoever insults" in v.22 is the ESB's translation of the word "Raca," an Aramaic term of abuse and contempt that the New Living Translation renders "call someone an idiot."

I grant that Jesus called the Pharisees names. But I don't see in his teaching a command to go and do likewise. Do you?

• dct112685

@Bill_Coley said:

@davidtaylorjr said:
    You said name calling is disgusting. Therefore you must call Jesus' use of name calling disgusting or you have a double standard.

Because precision matters when we summarize each other's points of view, please note my previous post's use of the word "disgusting": (emphasis added)

"It reports a stark difference between us that between those two outcomes - mischaracterizing another person's views and calling him or her "an idiot" - I find the name calling far more disgusting."

The words I use far more often to describe name-calling are immature, childish, and juvenile.

As for Jesus, on the subject of name-calling, I suppose I take my lead from his teaching in the Sermon on the Mount.... (emphasis added)

21 “You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder; and whoever murders will be liable to judgment.’ 22 But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire.

The Holy Bible: English Standard Version. (2016). (Mt 5:21–22). Wheaton: Standard Bible Society.

The phrase "whoever insults" in v.22 is the ESB's translation of the word "Raca," an Aramaic term of abuse and contempt that the New Living Translation renders "call someone an idiot."

I grant that Jesus called the Pharisees names. But I don't see in his teaching a command to go and do likewise. Do you?

Not in that passage, but I see you took it out of context.

• Bill_Coley

@davidtaylorjr said:

Your comment here is not as helpful to me as you might have thought it was when you posted it, David. First, I didn't mean to restrict to the Sermon on the Mount your response to my question about Jesus' commands to call people names. Please draw from any of Jesus' teachings to show where Jesus so commanded us.

And second, please explain how I took the Matthew 5 teaching "out of context." The text seems to me clearly to refer to forms of name calling.

• dct112685

@Bill_Coley said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

Your comment here is not as helpful to me as you might have thought it was when you posted it, David. First, I didn't mean to restrict to the Sermon on the Mount your response to my question about Jesus' commands to call people names. Please draw from any of Jesus' teachings to show where Jesus so commanded us.

And second, please explain how I took the Matthew 5 teaching "out of context." The text seems to me clearly to refer to forms of name calling.

We are to follow Christ's example. The sermon on the mount refers to specific things, not always general guidelines. That is the same reason self-defense doesn't apply with the Sermon on the Mount

• Dave_L

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Bill_Coley said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

We are to follow Christ's example. The sermon on the mount refers to specific things, not always general guidelines. That is the same reason self-defense doesn't apply with the Sermon on the Mount

I hate to butt in, but every Christian in the NT followed the Sermon's non violence and you cannot provide even a hint that any did not.

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Bill_Coley said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

I hate to butt in, but every Christian in the NT followed the Sermon's non violence and you cannot provide even a hint that any did not.

You don't hate to butt in, but you are wrong on this point. I've pointed this out, just because it is not in the NT doesn't mean it is not applicable.

• Dave_L

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Bill_Coley said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

You don't hate to butt in, but you are wrong on this point. I've pointed this out, just because it is not in the NT doesn't mean it is not applicable.

I'm not wrong or you would have proven me wrong by now. Saying I'm wrong does not count.

• Bill_Coley
    edited March 2018

@davidtaylorjr said:

I disagree strongly with you that Jesus' teaching about anger and name-calling in Matthew 5 is a "specific (thing)" not a "general guideline." But perhaps I don't understand your point. Please explain...

• Why in your view that teaching is "specific" not "general"
    • What "specific" circumstances, in your view, it applies to, and on what grounds you apparently believe calling other CD posters names is not one of them.
  • GaoLu
    GaoLu Posts: 1,368

1.Wrangle them words!
    https://christiandiscourse.net/uploads/editor/d7/gt3hhmhe78h0.jpg
    2. No one will come to my church and I won't go theirs--the heretics! So I'll just wash my own feet.

https://christiandiscourse.net/uploads/editor/cc/v5v6goyo42a7.jpg