Deadly shooting at Maryland newspaper

By Meg Wagner, Veronica Rocha and Brian Ries, CNN
Updated 3 min ago6:03 p.m. ET, June 28, 2018

At least 5 dead: A shooting inside the newsroom at the Capital Gazette newspaper office in Annapolis, Maryland has claimed the lives of at least five people.

Shooter in custody: **A law enforcement official tells CNN that one person, believed to be the shooter, is in custody.
**"It's bad":
A crime reporter for the paper tweeted the "gunman shot through the glass door" and added, "It's bad.”

Guns Kill! NRA Supports guns. Gun dues support the NRA. Commonsense gun laws and accountability must be required of all gun owners. Pray for the families... CM

Comments

• reformed
    reformed Posts: 3,176

@C_M_ said:

At least 5 dead: A shooting inside the newsroom at the Capital Gazette newspaper office in Annapolis, Maryland has claimed the lives of at least five people.

Shooter in custody: **A law enforcement official tells CNN that one person, believed to be the shooter, is in custody.
    **"It's bad":
    A crime reporter for the paper tweeted the "gunman shot through the glass door" and added, "It's bad.”

Guns Kill! NRA Supports guns. Gun dues support the NRA. Commonsense gun laws and accountability must be required of all gun owners. Pray for the families... CM

Do you think people should be allowed to have a shotgun?

• Dave_L
    Dave_L Posts: 2,362

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:

**"It's bad":

A shotgun is one of the deadliest weapons available. You could get the perp and three or four other people with one shot. Is that your calling?

• reformed

@Dave_L said:

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:

**"It's bad":

A shotgun is one of the deadliest weapons available. You could get the perp and three or four other people with one shot. Is that your calling?

You didn't answer the question.

• C Mc
    C Mc Posts: 4,463

@reformed said:

Here is how I will answer you in words, in your mind, I hope it would stay. You may call it what you may. You may call it poetry, a poem, or something underway. You can read it any time, anyway, any day.

Guns Were Made To Kill by CM

Guns Were Made To Kill, rather big, long or small if shot in the woods, malls or schools' halls.

Guns Were Made To Kill, although many say they collect them just for fun, even by the tons.

Guns Were Made To Kill, even if you like the feel, shape or sound;
    Oh, into the air, you just like to get off a few rounds.

Guns Were Made To Kill, you love the smell of gunpowder and the power in your hands; ignoring the spent shells that litter the ground.

Guns Were Made To Kill, whether opened carried or concealed;
    Once shot, what it hits is real.

Guns Were Made To Kill, rather in the home, churches or the battlefield;
    they shatter hearts, knees, and windshields.

Guns Were Made To Kill, whether made long ago or today;
    no fabrications would be acceptable from the NRA.

Guns Were Made To Kill, despite the lobbyists' passionate bifurcation;
    "We need more guns" they cry, for recreation and protection.

Guns Were Made To Kill, regardless of the voluminous mendacious good they can do;
    heartbreak comes when death takes a loved one close to you.

Guns Were Made To Kill, I am not saying anything new;
    I am just reminding you of what hospitals, churches, policemen, and cemeteries long knew.

Guns Were Made To Kill, seven lives were taken not far from Capitol Hill.
    Guns Were Made To Kill, and the shooter was not mentally ill.

Guns Were Made To Kill, don't try to say it's for something else;
    everybody knows it's false because guns were made to kill. CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said:

Here is how I will answer you in words, in your mind, I hope it would stay. You may call it what you may. You may call it poetry, a poem, or something underway. You can read it any time, anyway, any day.

Guns Were Made To Kill by CM

Guns Were Made To Kill, rather big, long or small if shot in the woods, malls or schools' halls.

Guns Were Made To Kill, although many say they collect them just for fun, even by the tons.

Guns Were Made To Kill, even if you like the feel, shape or sound;
    Oh, into the air, you just like to get off a few rounds.

Guns Were Made To Kill, you love the smell of gunpowder and the power in your hands; ignoring the spent shells that litter the ground.

Guns Were Made To Kill, whether opened carried or concealed;
    Once shot, what it hits is real.

Guns Were Made To Kill, rather in the home, churches or the battlefield;
    they shatter hearts, knees, and windshields.

Guns Were Made To Kill, whether made long ago or today;
    no fabrications would be acceptable from the NRA.

Guns Were Made To Kill, despite the lobbyists' passionate bifurcation;
    "We need more guns" they cry, for recreation and protection.

Guns Were Made To Kill, regardless of the voluminous mendacious good they can do;
    heartbreak comes when death takes a loved one close to you.

Guns Were Made To Kill, I am not saying anything new;
    I am just reminding you of what hospitals, churches, policemen, and cemeteries long knew.

Guns Were Made To Kill, seven lives were taken not far from Capitol Hill.
    Guns Were Made To Kill, and the shooter was not mentally ill.

Guns Were Made To Kill, don't try to say it's for something else;
    everybody knows it's false because guns were made to kill. CM

What about hunting?

• C Mc

@reformed said:
    What about hunting?

People or animal? They both God made.

Have you not read what I have written? CM

• GaoLu
    GaoLu Posts: 1,368
  • Dave_L

@reformed said:

@Dave_L said:

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:

**"It's bad":

Why would a Christian want a shot gun other than for shooting skeet? Or hunting animals?

• reformed

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said:
    What about hunting?

Of course I read what you wrote. It was "cute" but doesn't really add to the debate.

@Dave_L said:

@reformed said:

@Dave_L said:

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:

**"It's bad":

Why would a Christian want a shot gun other than for shooting skeet? Or hunting animals?

So you think it is ok for people to have shotguns then?

• Dave_L

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said:
    What about hunting?

Of course I read what you wrote. It was "cute" but doesn't really add to the debate.

@Dave_L said:

@reformed said:

@Dave_L said:

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:

**"It's bad":

I'm asking why a Christian would want one.

• C Mc

@GaoLu said:
    Clay pigeons?

Yeah, right! Some of them are harmful to animals.

I guess Clay Pigeons justifies the manufacture and ownership of long guns, pistols, AR-15 Bush Master Rifles, Automatic Rifles, bum stocks, etc.

You seem to master the art of what the old people would say, "you draw a good bucket of milk" (good post in another thread) "and turn around and kick it over" (say something insensitive about a tragic incident).

GaoLu, seven people are dead and families are grieving. You seem to have a love affair with guns and dismissive of the pain and loss it causes of those left behind. You well know guns kill! It's insensitive to the recent "shooting inside the newsroom at the Capital Gazette newspaper office in Annapolis, Maryland." It's not yet fully three days, is it too much for a little empathy and compassion for the situation and the families? For one who claims to have concern for what's in another woman's womb, beyond the advice of her doctor and pastor, seems to be estranged to death by guns, to protect gun ownership and possibly the NRA.

Perhaps, your responsive question above was given for humor where some may find out of place. If you're being serious, to others, you seem to be out of touched and disconnected. If I were to advise you, I suggest you find another time and topic to horn would be humorous skills. Appropriate. CM

• reformed

@Dave_L said:

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said:
    What about hunting?

@Dave_L said:

@reformed said:

@Dave_L said:

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:

**"It's bad":

I'm asking why a Christian would want one.

Hunting/Sport/Defense> @C_M_ said:

@GaoLu said:
    Clay pigeons?

I guess Clay Pigeons justifies the manufacture and ownership of long guns, pistols, AR-15 Bush Master Rifles, Automatic Rifles, bum stocks, etc.

You seem to master the art of what the old people would say, "you draw a good bucket of milk" (good post in another thread) "and turn around and kick it over" (say something insensitive about a tragic incident).

GaoLu, seven people are dead and families are grieving. You seem to have a love affair with guns and dismissive of the pain and loss it causes of those left behind. You well know guns kill! It's insensitive to the recent "shooting inside the newsroom at the Capital Gazette newspaper office in Annapolis, Maryland." It's not yet fully three days, is it too much for a little empathy and compassion for the situation and the families? For one who claims to have concern for what's in another woman's womb, beyond the advice of her doctor and pastor, seems to be estranged to death by guns, to protect gun ownership and possibly the NRA.

Perhaps, your responsive question above was given for humor where some may find out of place. If you're being serious, to others, you seem to be out of touched and disconnected. If I were to advise you, I suggest you find another time and topic to horn would be humorous skills. Appropriate. CM

The guns did not leave the pain, the shooter did. That's the problem. You focus on the tool and not the actual problem. People. People are the problem. The one's without empathy and compassion are liberals and the media who immediately politicize every gun related event. That isn't compassion, that is selfish. That isn't caring, it's taking advantage of a situation.

• GaoLu

@C_M_ said:

@GaoLu said:
    Clay pigeons?

That is quite an emotional outburst. Calm. Peace. Breathe.

Having traveled in other parts of the world I find your response disingenuous and frankly silly. Seed of truth, maybe...but you should talk to my friends from Rwanda. Dude, you conspicuously ain't even HEARD of nuthin', much less seen it. I could tell you more, so, so much more that I couldn't stomach typing here.

My Rwandan friend Marc told me about a week ago, "American's don't even want to know the truth." He is right. Instead, we make emotional/political drama out of isolated American incidents. Respond to this knowledgeably if you have the gall. Otherwise just spew your emotions--whatever.

• C Mc

@GaoLu said:

Having traveled in other parts of the world I find your response disingenuous and frankly silly. Seed of truth, maybe...but you should talk to my friends from Rwanda. Dude, you conspicuously ain't even HEARD of nuthin', much less seen it. I could tell you more, so, so much more that I couldn't stomach typing here.

My Rwandan friend Marc told me about a week ago, "American's don't even want to know the truth." He is right. Instead, we make emotional/political drama out of isolated American incidents. Respond to this knowledgeably if you have the gall. Otherwise just spew your emotions--whatever.

Mr. GaoLu,
    Do you need to be told or reminded that you're not the only one who has traveled to other parts of the world or have "friends from Rwanda." End this nonsense. Stay focused. I'm talking about the most recent shooting in the USA and guns. Stop being afraid of the truth. Guns kill! Guns were not primarily made to shoot "Clay Pigeons."

Why do you think the death of seven people "inside the newsroom at the Capital Gazette newspaper office in Annapolis, Maryland", an emotional/political drama" and "isolated American incident?" You're really on a role when it comes to dismissing gun-deaths in the USA. Real people are dead. This is not a TV show of fake blood and pyrotechnics display. After the shooting of a gun, things are never the same, even for a "Clay Pigeons."

"Respond to this knowledgeably if you have the gall. Otherwise just spew your emotions--whatever."

I don't know what this is all about. Perhaps, you need to take heed to your own counsel:

Calm. Peace. Breathe.

CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:

@GaoLu said:

Mr. GaoLu,
    Do you need to be told or reminded that you're not the only one who has traveled to other parts of the world or have "friends from Rwanda." End this nonsense. Stay focused. I'm talking about the most recent shooting in the USA and guns. Stop being afraid of the truth. Guns kill! Guns were not primarily made to shoot "Clay Pigeons."

Why do you think the death of seven people "inside the newsroom at the Capital Gazette newspaper office in Annapolis, Maryland", an emotional/political drama" and "isolated American incident?" You're really on a role when it comes to dismissing gun-deaths in the USA. Real people are dead. This is not a TV show of fake blood and pyrotechnics display. After the shooting of a gun, things are never the same, even for a "Clay Pigeons."

"Respond to this knowledgeably if you have the gall. Otherwise just spew your emotions--whatever."

I don't know what this is all about. Perhaps, you need to take heed to your own counsel:

Calm. Peace. Breathe.

CM

Knives kill too, do you want to ban knives? What about trucks, planes, fertilizer, rat poison, etc....

• C Mc

@reformed said:

Knives kill too, do you want to ban knives? What about trucks, planes, fertilizer, rat poison, etc....

Let see, what about hands, feet, and words? Don't be ridiculous.

On the other hand, did I say, "ban"? When it comes to guns-- leave it to the military, guards and law enforcement. If the citizenry demands (to my chagrin) them-- strict commonsense guns laws: background check, license, registration, ban bum stock, limit number and certain types. Prevent those with mental health problems, no sales across state lines, etc. CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said:

Let see, what about hands, feet, and words? Don't be ridiculous.

On the other hand, did I say, "ban"? When it comes to guns-- leave it to the military, guards and law enforcement. If the citizenry demands (to my chagrin) them-- strict commonsense guns laws: background check, license, registration, ban bum stock, limit number and certain types. Prevent those with mental health problems, no sales across state lines, etc. CM

We already have background checks. They don't always work. License? What kind of license? Registration? We already have that. Bump Stocks are a red herring. You don't even need a bump stock to get the same functionality. Limit number and certain types? Why and what types? Who determines which mental health problems? No sales across state lines? Why? I live on the border of a state. That's a ridiculous proposition with no basis in safety.

• C Mc

"Where there's a will, there's a way." CM

• Bill_Coley
    Bill_Coley Posts: 2,675
    edited July 2018

@reformed said:

As I'm sure you know, reformed, the number of homicides caused by knives and other cutting instruments each year is significantly less than the number of homicides caused by firearms (about one-seventh as many, according to FBI statistics for 2016.) The number of homicides related to poisonings of all forms is far less still (523 TOTAL identified in the seven years, 1999-2005)

If there comes a time when knives or rat poison kills 11,000 people a year, as firearms do now, my guess is we'll hear a much louder cry for "common sense" knife and rat poison controls.

We already have background checks. They don't always work.

What's your point here? That because background checks "don't always work," we shouldn't use or strengthen them?

Laws against murder don't always work - people still commit murder. Do you argue that we therefore shouldn't use or strengthen such laws?

License? What kind of license? Registration? We already have that. Bump Stocks are a red herring. You don't even need a bump stock to get the same functionality. Limit number and certain types? Why and what types? Who determines which mental health problems? No sales across state lines? Why? I live on the border of a state. That's a ridiculous proposition with no basis in safety.

The rest of your response reads to me like a placard hung on the door of this thread: However you propose to "improve" or "strengthen" gun control in the U.S. I will have a question, a doubt, and/or a reason not to try it.

Are there ANY proposed enhancements to or efforts to strengthen gun control laws that you support?

• GaoLu

Mmmhmmm. How about 55,700,000 million abortions each year. Yet you defend that.

• C Mc

@GaoLu said:
    Mmmhmmm. How about 55,700,000 million abortions each year. Yet you defend that.

Is this number in the USA alone or in the world?

Could it possibly be that you are suggesting gun deaths don't matter because they are not as high as your number cited above? CM

• GaoLu
    • Yeah, that would be 125,000 babies killed each day around the world.
    • Ony 3000 are killed each day in America, or
    • 157 each hour or
    • 2.6 every minute.
    • Certainly, every life matters, even the relatively few taken by guns and knives.

Somehow the callous response to this reveals the unplumbed depths of evil in the world and even by those who call themselves Christians.

http://www.numberofabortions.com/

• C Mc

@GaoLu said:

Somehow the callous response to this reveals the unplumbed depths of evil in the world and even by those who call themselves Christians.

It's unfortunate your statement is applicable to those who carried out and supported the policy of separating children and infants from their mothers at the U S Borders. I endorse your statement to some of the American people. It shows their:

"...callous response...reveals the unplumbed depths of evil in the world and even by those who call themselves Christians."

It's sad, one day's count of abortion in the USA is about the same number separated from their mothers. One wonders, which is worst: an aborted fetus (consent, private, personal, consultation with doctor and pastor) or Aborted Families (WITHOUT knowledge, consultation of their doctor, pastor or consent)? America's modern-day shame! CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:

@GaoLu said:

It's unfortunate your statement is applicable to those who carried out and supported the policy of separating children and infants from their mothers at the U S Borders. I endorse your statement to some of the American people. It shows their:

"...callous response...reveals the unplumbed depths of evil in the world and even by those who call themselves Christians."

It's sad, one day's count of abortion in the USA is about the same number separated from their mothers. One wonders, which is worst: an aborted fetus (consent, private, personal, consultation with doctor and pastor) or Aborted Families (WITHOUT knowledge, consultation of their doctor, pastor or consent)? America's modern-day shame! CM

Right...because abortion and border control are equivalent... What universe do you live in?

• GaoLu

It is the callousness mentioned above that we observe in a growing number today, an emotional leper unable to feel.

• reformed

@GaoLu said:
    It is the callousness mentioned above that we observe in a growing number today, an emotional leper unable to feel.

So true. @C_M_ OBVIOUSLY, a murdered baby is worse than a child being taken from its criminal parents.

• GaoLu
    edited July 2018

Ps 119:70 says, "Their heart is insensitive like fat." Just happened to be reading that.

• C Mc

@reformed said:

@GaoLu said:

So true. @C_M_ OBVIOUSLY, a murdered baby is worse than a child being taken from its criminal parents.

Are you saying "criminal parents" don't deserve children or babies? CM

• C Mc

@reformed said:

Right...because abortion and border control are equivalent... What universe do you live in?

I was referring only to GaoLu's numbers. What are you trying to say? CM

• C Mc

@GaoLu said:

Again, when it comes to the US Southern borders there is so much "callousness" of "an emotional leper unable to feel." It's unfortunate that so much of it is from the US heads of government and "so-called Christians. CM