Alcohol Worse Than Opioids?

C Mc
C Mc Posts: 4,463

When the truth is told, "Happy Hour" is a deadly hour. CM

Worse than opioids: Alcohol deaths soar among the middle aged, women

Alcohol kills more people each year than overdoses through cancer, liver cirrhosis, pancreatitis and suicide, among other ways.

Author: Jayne O'Donnell, USA TODAY
Published: 8:34 PM EST November 17, 2018
Updated: 8:35 PM EST November 17, 2018

The last time lawyer Erika Byrd talked her way out of an alcohol rehab center, her father took her to lunch.

"Dad, I know what alcohol has done to me," she told him that day in January 2011. "I know what it has made me do to you and mom. But that wasn’t me."

By the time she died three months later, Byrd had blocked her parents' calls because they kept having her involuntarily committed. They once had a magistrate judge hold a hearing at her hospital bed. He ordered herto undergo a month of in-patient treatment.

As opioid overdoses, which kill about 72,000 people a year, grabbed America's attention, the slower moving epidemic of alcohol accelerated, especially in Southern states and the nation's capital. About 88,000 people die each year from alcohol.

Making matters worse, alcoholism is trickier to treat – and criticize – than opioid addiction.

"Culturally, we’ve made it acceptable to drink but not to go out and shoot up heroin," Miller says. "A lot of people will read this and say 'What's the problem?' "

It might be a more socially acceptable addiction, but alcoholism is at least three times costlier to treat than opioid addiction, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. And it's a far more complicated midlife crisis to address.

The proven approaches – taxes on alcohol and limits on where and when alcohol is sold – are often rejected because the liquor industry has considerable clout with policymakers.

Ron Byrd says his daughter Erika was "beautiful inside and out."

To him, there's no question about what caused her death.

That's despite the fact there was no alcohol in her system when she was found dead at home. She was so sick, Byrd says, she hadn't been able to eat or drink for days.

"The death certificate never says alcoholism," he says. "It said heart arrhythmia and heart valve disease. But nobody in our family had heart problems."

Attorney Lisa Smith has been in recovery from alcohol and cocaine addiction for a decade. The New York City woman wrote the memoir "Girl Walks Out of a Bar" and co-hosts the podcast Recovery Rocks.

Smith speaks at legal conferences and law firms such as Byrd's about the hazards of lawyers' high-stress days and booze-fueled dinners with clients. But she's fighting forces far larger than her profession.

"It is poison, and we’re treating it like it's something other than that because there‘s big corporate money behind it," she says. "A lot of people are getting really rich on something that is toxic to us."

Deaths of despair

In its Pain in the Nation report this year, the Well Being Trust called losses from drugs, alcohol, and suicide "despair deaths."

We need to rethink our counsel to teens and personal consumption of alcohol. CM

Comments

• Dave_L
    Dave_L Posts: 2,362

Some say booze is the gateway drug to other drugs.

• C Mc

@Dave_L said:

Dave,
    Base on the above article, it's "the gateway drug to" DEATH! The Bible is true once again, see Prov. 20:1. Why is it that so many still rationalizes its promotion and recreational usage. Parents and the US Government are the two biggest cheerleaders. CM

• reformed
    reformed Posts: 3,176

Jesus and the disciples drank wine....

• Dave_L

@C_M_ said:

@Dave_L said:

Dave,
    Base on the above article, it's "the gateway drug to" DEATH! The Bible is true once again, see Prov. 20:1. Why is it that so many still rationalizes its promotion and recreational usage. Parents and the US Government are the two biggest cheerleaders. CM

I agree and don't use any drugs including medicine.

• reformed

@Dave_L said:

@C_M_ said:

@Dave_L said:

Dave,

Which you can't find anywhere in Scripture....

• Dave_L

@reformed said:

@Dave_L said:

@C_M_ said:

@Dave_L said:

Dave,

I'm blessed.

• reformed

@Dave_L said:

@reformed said:

@Dave_L said:

@C_M_ said:

@Dave_L said:

Dave,

I'm blessed.

???

• Dave_L

@reformed said:

@Dave_L said:

@reformed said:

@Dave_L said:

@C_M_ said:

@Dave_L said:

Dave,

I'm blessed.

???

The Lord has blessed me with good health.

• C Mc

@reformed said:

Watch it! Jesus used Grape Juice. It was the "fruit of the vine". There were two wines in the Bible-- Fermented and Unfermented. Jesus used the latter. CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said:

Watch it! Jesus used Grape Juice. It was the "fruit of the vine". There were two wines in the Bible-- Fermented and Unfermented. Jesus used the latter. CM

There is absolutely ZERO evidence that Jesus' wine was grape juice.

• C Mc

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said:

1. Are you saying there were not two wines in the Bible?
    2. Why would Jesus provide fermented substance to institute a holy service or the miracle of Cana of Galilee in the Book of John? CM
  • reformed

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said:

I'm saying when wine is used in the Bible it is always talking about fermented drink.

1. Why would Jesus provide fermented substance to institute a holy service or the miracle of Cana of Galilee in the Book of John? CM

Why would he not? It is not prohibited anywhere in Scripture.

• C Mc
    edited November 2018

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said:

I'm saying when wine is used in the Bible it is always talking about fermented drink.

1. Why would Jesus provide fermented substance to institute a holy service or the miracle of Cana of Galilee in the Book of John? CM

See my thread and posts "Good-Wine -vs- Bad-Wine". After a careful read my thread/posts what is your view now? If different, what is your justification? Come on, be serious. CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said:

See my thread and posts "Good-Wine -vs- Bad-Wine". After a careful read my thread/posts what is your view now? If different, what is your justification? Come on, be serious. CM

That link doesn't work...

• C Mc

Go to home or type in wine in the find box. Look for the thread "Wine Usage in the Bible: Encouraged or Be avoided at all cost?", stroll down to "Good-Wine -vs- Bad-Wine" post. CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:
    Go to home or type in wine in the find box. Look for the thread "Wine Usage in the Bible: Encouraged or Be avoided at all cost?", stroll down to "Good-Wine -vs- Bad-Wine" post. CM

Or I could just study the Greek

• C Mc

You still can't find it? CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:

I didn't look because I don't really care. It wasn't grape juice, there is zero evidence culturally or textually for it being grape juice.

If it was grape juice why does the Bible specify to not be drunk with wine? Grape juice can't get you drunk so why would it make this distinction?

Never once does the Bible prohibit the consumption of alcohol except in very specific situations (such as the Nazarite vow). It simply says do not be drunk. You don't get drunk after a single drink.

• C Mc

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:

I didn't look because I don't really care. It wasn't grape juice, there is zero evidence culturally or textually for it being grape juice.

If it was grape juice why does the Bible specify to not be drunk with wine? Grape juice can't get you drunk so why would it make this distinction?

Never once does the Bible prohibit the consumption of alcohol except in very specific situations (such as the Nazarite vow). It simply says do not be drunk. You don't get drunk after a single drink.

Reformed,
    Wow, what great humility!

You pretend to want to know but just couldn't find it. Quite misleading. This is the Bible, not politics.

Regardless, the answer to your most recent question is in that thread. This is all the more that you need to read what the Bible says. What are you afraid of, the truth or you may have to change your views and maybe drinking habits? CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:

Reformed,
    Wow, what great humility!

You pretend to want to know but just couldn't find it. Quite misleading. This is the Bible, not politics.

Regardless, the answer to your most recent question is in that thread. This is all the more that you need to read what the Bible says. What are you afraid of, the truth or you may have to change your views and maybe drinking habits? CM

I have read the Bible which is why I don't really care about your post. I have studied the Greek and the culture. It was fermented whether you like to think it was or not.

• C Mc

Sorry, Mr. Know it all. CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:

Sorry, Mr. Know it all. CM

Ok, to appease you I did a search for it and cannot find this thread. Please give the exact link. But I assure you, there is zero evidence to suggest this was anything less than fermented drink.

• C Mc

Stay tuned! CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:
    Stay tuned! CM

Ok, when you find the working link let me know.

• C Mc

See the thread: "Wine Usage in the Bible: Encouraged or Be avoided at all cost?" Please read all of it, to follow the flow.

https://www.christiandiscourse.net/discussion/comment/8721#Comment_8721

See especially, my post, "The two types of wines are: BAD WINE ------ GOOD WINE".

• reformed

@C_M_ said:
    See the thread: "Wine Usage in the Bible: Encouraged or Be avoided at all cost?" Please read all of it, to follow the flow.

See especially, my post, "The two types of wines are: BAD WINE ------ GOOD WINE".

Thanks for that. Where do you get your two headings Good Wine and Bad Wine? I don't see any evidence for this you just made two headings and put your statements under each and then expect everyone to accept it despite there being no textual evidence for such distinctions.

• C Mc

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:

Thanks for that. Where do you get your two headings Good Wine and Bad Wine? I don't see any evidence for this you just made two headings and put your statements under each and then expect everyone to accept it despite there being no textual evidence for such distinctions.

Reformed,
    Please read the entire thread.

@reformed said: Where do you get your two headings Good Wine and Bad Wine?

• Context, common sense, reasoning, vocabulary (Heb/Gk), and positive/negative texts on wine in the Bible.

Take your time. CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:

Reformed,
    Please read the entire thread.

@reformed said: Where do you get your two headings Good Wine and Bad Wine?

• Context, common sense, reasoning, vocabulary (Heb/Gk), and positive/negative texts on wine in the Bible.

Take your time. CM

I read through the thread. And still, I have the questions I asked. The Greek/Hebrew is clear that when wine is spoken of in Scripture it is talking about fermented wine, not grape juice. Please give textual evidence to the contrary or stop this nonsense.

• C Mc

Reformed,

Is this not two wines of the Bible?

On the one hand, the Bible strongly disapproves the use of wine:

• “Do not look at wine” Prov. 23:31
    • “Wine is treacherous” Hab. 2:5
    • “Drink no wine nor strong drink” Lev. 10:9

On the other hand, the Bible fully approves the use of wine as a divine blessing for people to enjoy:

• “God gives wine to gladden the heart” (Ps 104:15).

In the 18th and 19th Centuries most churches and influential preachers like John Wesley boldly taught total abstinence as biblical, moral imperative.

With a deeper look, three major explanations are generally given for the drinking of Alcohol or wine:

1. The Moderationist View -- believe Scripture condemns the immoderate use (abuse) of alcoholic beverages, but it approves their moderate use.
      • The moderationist view rests on the fundamental assumption that the Bible knows only of fermented wine, which it considers a divine blessing to be freely enjoyed with moderation.
      • Consequently any condemnation of wine in the Bible refers not to the kind of wine (alcoholic), but to the amount consumed.
        Recent research has shown the “one wine” theory, by showing that the Hebrew and Greek words (Yayin and Oinos) which are uniformly rendered “wine” throughout the Scripture, can refer to either unfermented grape juice or to fermented wine.
    2. The Concessionist View -- try to resolve the apparent contradiction between the Biblical approval and disapproval of wine by viewing the positive references as a divine concession to human failings. Similar to the concession of divorce.
    3. The Prohibitionist View -- believe that the Bible condemns the use of fermented wine and approves unfermented grape juice. The solution is not the quantity of wine used, but its quality.

Which of these applies to you or your church? CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:
    Reformed,

Is this not two wines of the Bible?

On the one hand, the Bible strongly disapproves the use of wine:

• “Do not look at wine” Prov. 23:31

Taken out of context.

• “Wine is treacherous” Hab. 2:5

Again, out of context.

• “Drink no wine nor strong drink” Lev. 10:9

And again to no surprise, taken out of context.

When you read these in full context you see that not a single one of these verses actually prohibits the use of alcohol.