Trump laughed at by world leaders at the UN

Trump's introductory behavior and statement before the general assembly of the UN are more of an embarrassment for the USA than anything else. The world leaders at large seem to recognize how they are being lied to by the USA and its president and "answered" the president's false claims as appropriate for what they were => a rather bad joke

Trump boast gets laugh at UN...

Comments

• reformed
    reformed Posts: 3,176

Wait, what happened?

• C Mc
    C Mc Posts: 4,463

So sad, he seems to be a total embarrassment to the American people minus a small group. "You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time". --Abraham Lincoln

It's painful for the sober-minded people around the world. CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:
    So sad, he seems to be a total embarrassment to the American people minus a small group. "You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time". --Abraham Lincoln

What exactly happened that was so embarrassing?

• Bill_Coley
    Bill_Coley Posts: 2,675

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:

The president of the United States began his speech to the United Nations General Assembly with the outrageous claim that "In less than two years, my administration has accomplished more than almost any administration in the history of our country.” In an unheard of reaction at General Assembly gatherings, multiple and growing snickers arose around the hall, snickers the president acknowledged with the words "So true," and, after a few seconds, "Didn't expect that reaction, but that's okay."

• reformed

@Bill_Coley said:

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:

The president of the United States began his speech to the United Nations General Assembly with the outrageous claim that "In less than two years, my administration has accomplished more than almost any administration in the history of our country.” In an unheard of reaction at General Assembly gatherings, multiple and growing snickers arose around the hall, snickers the president acknowledged with the words "So true," and, after a few seconds, "Didn't expect that reaction, but that's okay."

Wow, so I watched the video and the event is not nearly like you are trying to make it sound. Good grief. No wonder this is the first place I had heard about it....

• Bill_Coley

@reformed said:

Wow, so I watched the video and the event is not nearly like you are trying to make it sound. Good grief. No wonder this is the first place I had heard about it....

Please identify specific ways in which my description of the GA's reaction to the president's claim about his administration's accomplishments was inaccurate.

• reformed

@Bill_Coley said:

@reformed said:

Please identify specific ways in which my description of the GA's reaction to the president's claim about his administration's accomplishments was inaccurate.

I don't see any indication that people were mocking him. Obviously, you didn't say that they did but it was implied. For all we know the people were talking about how true it was and he then said "So True" Then he even received applause when he said he wasn't expecting a reaction.

So I think this is a whole lot of banter about absolutely nothing. Which has been the MO for liberals during this presidency.

• Bill_Coley

@reformed said:

I don't see any indication that people were mocking him. Obviously, you didn't say that they did but it was implied.

Nice of you to acknowledge that I didn't claim people were "mocking" him, though I must say I think the laughs were expressions of mocking.

For all we know the people were talking about how true it was and he then said "So True" Then he even received applause when he said he wasn't expecting a reaction.

Have you ever watched addresses to the GA by foreign leaders? The audiences are uniformly attentive and respectful, but they hardly ever make a sound! Those were derisive laughs that rose from a noticeable smattering to a much louder presence after the president said "So true." They weren't saying "How true!"

The applause? Trump's "Not the reaction I was expecting" was a funny and well delivered line that as much admitted they had just laughed at him. Had Trump thought they were saying "How true," he would have had a VERY different response.

And check out the visuals of the German delegation's response as Trump dumped on their nation. They weren't laughing in support of the ignorance the president was displaying.

So I think this is a whole lot of banter about absolutely nothing. Which has been the MO for liberals during this presidency.

You claimed that Trump's UN speech was "not nearly like (I was) trying to make it sound" in my description of it. So I asked you for specific ways my description of the GA's reaction was inaccurate. In response, all you say is that your interpretation of the event is different from mine. You're entitled, of course. But you have clearly failed to show that any part of my description was inaccurate.

• Bill_Coley

AND WE SHOULD POINT OUT.....

During his FoxNews interview on Monday, Judge Kavanaugh said,

"Yes, there were parties, and the drinking age was 18, and yes, the seniors were legal and had beer there. And yes, people might have had too many beers on occasion and people generally in high school — I think all of us have probably done things we look back on in high school and regret or cringe a bit."

The problem is Maryland's drinking age was NOT 18 in 1983, when he was a senior; it was 21. The state had changed its age to 21 in July 1982. Yes, that law change grandfathered in people who were 18 at the time of the law change, BUT Kavanaugh was NOT 18 at the time of the law change. He was 17.

That means ANY drinking he did in Maryland between July 1982 and the time he turned 21 was illegal.

Did Kavanugh lie about the drinking age in his home state during his FoxNews interview, or did he, a nominee for the highest court in the land, just not know that the law changed while he was 17, and therefore prohibited him from drinking until he was 21? (Or perhaps all the drinking people who knew him say he did affected his memory of the drinking age in Maryland?)

BTW, the drinking age in Connecticut when he started school at Yale was 19, and rose to 20 a month into his freshman year, meaning he had at least two more years of illegal drinking before he became of age.

Let's hope he tells the truth about at least some of this when questioned on Thursday.

NOTE: You might claim lots of college student drink illegally! True. But not every college student is nominated to the nation's highest court, and is therefore expected to tell the truth about his or her personal- and state's drinking history.

_

• listening to the whole Trump speech, it is becoming evident that most of the world's leaders no longer believe the lies propagated by the USA administration ... they have seen and some have felt the hegemon's dictatorial threats (bombs) to any country pursuing a sovereign policy independent of the USA's world hegemon "exceptional country" military enforced mandates.

The "universal enemy" the USA president was trying to paint with his "hot air words" about Iran (at the last UN assembly it had been North Korea) were in fact describing the very policy and military actions of his own masters (the deep state) against any country that doesn't submit to the USA dictatorship.

Some may think, alright, they just laughed at the fool Trump who doesn't know how to really talk as a seasoned politician - like Hillary Clinton -- would have talked ... however, the world (except for the USA vassal countries in Europe, Australia, etc.) is beginning to not only see through the deception but also recognizes the USA/NATO bombings and wars for the terrorisst wars of aggression which they are ... since the USA is now even openly supporting ISIS, al Nusra, etc terrorist organizations which supposedly they are fighting in their "war on terror".

• C Mc

@Bill_Coley said:

"Yes, there were parties, and the drinking age was 18, and yes, the seniors were legal and had beer there. And yes, people might have had too many beers on occasion and people generally in high school — I think all of us have probably done things we look back on in high school and regret or cringe a bit."

The problem is **[Maryland's drinking age was NOT 18 in 1983, when he was a senior; it was 21]...

Privileged and alcoholic. Is Kavanaugh more an upright alcoholic than he is a would-be rapist? Is this what Kavanaugh is really trying to hide, in not asking for the FBI Investigation? Could Kavanaugh be right in his denial about the attempted rape because he was so drunk? Just a thought. See my thread on wine. CM

• Bill_Coley

@C_M_ said:
    Privileged and alcoholic. Is Kavanaugh more an upright alcoholic than he is a would-be rapist? Is this what Kavanaugh is really trying to hide, in not asking for the FBI Investigation? Could Kavanaugh be right in his denial about the attempted rape because he was so drunk? Just a thought. See my thread on wine. CM

From what I understand about the law, people who are drunk are just as guilty of sexual assault as people who are sober at the time of their offense.

In my view, Kavanaugh is trying to hide a personal history that is stained deeply and significantly, but not solely, by alcohol.

• C Mc

@Bill_Coley said:

@C_M_ said:

From what I understand about the law, people who are drunk are just as guilty of sexual assault as people who are sober at the time of their offense.

In my view, Kavanaugh is trying to hide a personal history that is stained deeply and significantly, but not solely, by alcohol.

You may have a point. Drinking and driving don't go together; like Alcohol and the law shouldn't mix. I hope someone would ask Kavanaugh about his current drinking habits this Thursday.

@Bill_Coley said: "...Kavanaugh is trying to hide a personal history..."

Upon second thought, Bill, you may be on to something. I'll hold my piece, but you may be on to something. CM

• reformed

@Bill_Coley said:

Some of the Seniors could have been 18 and legal which means this would not be a lie.

The problem is Maryland's drinking age was NOT 18 in 1983, when he was a senior; it was 21. The state had changed its age to 21 in July 1982. Yes, that law change grandfathered in people who were 18 at the time of the law change, BUT Kavanaugh was NOT 18 at the time of the law change. He was 17.

That means ANY drinking he did in Maryland between July 1982 and the time he turned 21 was illegal.

He never said he drank legally (unless I missed something) he said the alcohol was there legally.

Did Kavanugh lie about the drinking age in his home state during his FoxNews interview, or did he, a nominee for the highest court in the land, just not know that the law changed while he was 17, and therefore prohibited him from drinking until he was 21? (Or perhaps all the drinking people who knew him say he did affected his memory of the drinking age in Maryland?)

Perhaps, perhaps not.

BTW, the drinking age in Connecticut when he started school at Yale was 19, and rose to 20 a month into his freshman year, meaning he had at least two more years of illegal drinking before he became of age.

Let's hope he tells the truth about at least some of this when questioned on Thursday.

NOTE: You might claim lots of college student drink illegally! True. But not every college student is nominated to the nation's highest court, and is therefore expected to tell the truth about his or her personal- and state's drinking history.

_

We don't know that he actually lied Bill.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2018

A question: what do these posts about "Kavanaugh" have to do with what happened at the speech of the USA president at the UN general assembly?????????????????????

Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • C Mc

@Wolfgang said:
    A question: what do these posts about "Kavanaugh" have to do with what happened at the speech of the USA president at the UN general assembly?????????????????????

The common denominator is President Trump! He's debasing himself before the World Leaders at the UN and Kavanaugh is doing the same before the American People in the USA.

Wolfgang, you're right to raise the question above. We deviated from the OP.

Brethren,
    Let's be considerate and respect the thread subject. There are other threads on Kavanaugh. Sorry, Wolfgang. CM

• reformed

@Wolfgang said:

Nothing, my apologies for continuing @Bill_Coley off topic conversation.

@C_M_ said:

@Wolfgang said:

The common denominator is President Trump! He's debasing himself before the World Leaders at the UN and Kavanaugh is doing the same before the American People in the USA.

Hardly

• Bill_Coley

@Wolfgang said:

The Kavanaugh posts have nothing to do with what happened at the UN, Wolfgang. I apologize for inadvertently initiating an exchange about Kavanaugh in your thread. I did so quite unintentionally, for some reason never stopping - until now - to notice that I had selected an obviously wrong thread for the initiating post. If I could move the entire Kavanaugh exchange from your thread to one of the Kavanaugh threads, I would.

I apologize for my mistake.

• Bill_Coley

In my view, Ambassador Haley's explanation/rationalization of the GA's laughter is, itself, laughable. She contends that the GA audience expressed its "respect" for the president's "honesty" by laughing at him? Anyone who watched the speech knows that's not what happened.

GA audiences don't respond with laughter to the honesty of world leaders. They hardly ever respond to anything any speaker says.

Then again, desperate measures are sometimes required to defend desperately foolish and incompetent people. So, to that extent, her explanation makes sense.

• seems we got back on topic ... thanks to everyone.

• In my opinion, the speech of USA president Trump at the UN general assembly was a rather sorry display not so much of Trump's whatever personality, but rather an open display of an over the top arrogant country whose "exceptionality" and "we are God's preferred nation" arrogance was shown with no disguise any longer.
    The USA claims that it is the world hegemon and any country that doesn't submit to them is "the world's enemy" and must be forced by war (sanctions or terrorism or military bombing, etc) to get in line. Anyone not following the dictates of the hegemon will be sanctioned as well ...

Hypocrisy and lies to no end .... talk about "sovereignty" of countries, but any country that insists on its sovereignty rather than USA dictatorship is blackmailed and threatened with sanctions (=> economic warfare). Bullying is a weak term to describe what the USA representatives are throwing at the world community.

• reformed
    edited September 2018

@Wolfgang said:
    In my opinion, the speech of USA president Trump at the UN general assembly was a rather sorry display not so much of Trump's whatever personality, but rather an open display of an over the top arrogant country whose "exceptionality" and "we are God's preferred nation" arrogance was shown with no disguise any longer.
    The USA claims that it is the world hegemon and any country that doesn't submit to them is "the world's enemy" and must be forced by war (sanctions or terrorism or military bombing, etc) to get in line. Anyone not following the dictates of the hegemon will be sanctioned as well ...

Hypocrisy and lies to no end .... talk about "sovereignty" of countries, but any country that insists on its sovereignty rather than USA dictatorship is blackmailed and threatened with sanctions (=> economic warfare). Bullying is a weak term to describe what the USA representatives are throwing at the world community.

Oh brother...

Post edited by reformed on
  • C Mc

@Wolfgang said:
    ... The USA claims that it is the world hegemon and any country that doesn't submit to them is "the world's enemy" and must be forced by war (sanctions or terrorism or military bombing, etc) to get in line. Anyone not following the dictates of the hegemon will be sanctioned as well ...

Some Americans may take issues with you of your description of America.

I thought Nikki Haley was better than this. CM

• reformed

@Wolfgang said:
    In my opinion, the speech of USA president Trump at the UN general assembly was a rather sorry display not so much of Trump's whatever personality, but rather an open display of an over the top arrogant country whose "exceptionality" and "we are God's preferred nation" arrogance was shown with no disguise any longer.

Comes from the same guy who believes that 9/11 was committed by the government. I bet you do not believe the USA landed on the moon either? In fact, anything that comes out of America must be terrible right? We are evil beyond evil. We don't do any good in this world. Right?

• @reformed said:
    Comes from the same guy who believes that 9/11 was committed by the government.

I don't recall having made such a claim ... I have indeed said that the official statements and report commissioned by the government about the event is rather obviously incorrect and misleading the American people. I think that the events since then speak loudly as well ... going by my grandma's advice of taking a look at who either had benefits from or uses such a crime as excuse for further crimes.

I bet you do not believe the USA landed on the moon either?

I visited Cape Kennedy Space Center once many moons ago ... and was wondering how some of the exhibits there could have actually been on the moon. But then, I have not given it further thought, since I don't really care whether someone has been on the moon or not ... what difference did and/or does it make?

In fact, anything that comes out of America must be terrible right?

Actually, I do not think that my wife is terrible ... But then, she comes from Texas, and I've heard in the past that perhaps Texas is not "America" ??? :wink:

We are evil beyond evil. We don't do any good in this world. Right?

You know, neither evil (nor good) are determined by citizenship to a particular nation ... such is determined by WORDS AND DEEDS committed by individuals. At times, individuals subject national powers (such as military forces, economic forces, etc) and use them for evil, such as wars in order to satisfy greed for dominion and riches.
    Take a look at what has happened in recent decades ...

I can tell you from my own experience that the USA is by far not the same country of liberty as it was even in the 1970ies ... when I enter at any USA airport, I (a visitor from Germany, supposedly a friendly country and ally) am processed as if I was entering a facility for a prison term; even USA citizens no longer have the same liberties and freedoms they had then but rather quite many of their liberties have been scrapped and taken from them (under the disguise of "security") ... and only few of the many seem to see it. while the rest still thinks they are free and have justice.

It most likely doesn't do too much for your consolation, but I tell you that Germany - as a USA vassal under the dominion of the same deep state powers - is in no better condition, but has lost even more of its culture, language, morals, etc. under the influences of the supposedly so wonderful "Western values" propaganda and the evil forces currently enslaving the country .... evil here is as widespread.

• C Mc

Only Americans can criticize America? If so, who's an American? CM

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2018

@C_M_ said:
    Only Americans can criticize America? If so, who's an American? CM

Good questions indeed ...

Unfortunately, the vast majority of USA folks I have met over almost 5 decades now are of the opinion that their country is "very exceptional", "above other countries", "on the side of the good", "most powerful", etc. etc. etc. To some extent, they appear to believe that they actually are "the world" with the rest of the globe only minors and only lookers on at the sidelines".
    It seems that only those who've actually traveled and/or lived in other countries for a while begin to realize that their previous "world view" is rather "prejudice colored" and does by no means fit reality.

It seems to me that for this same reason, many USA folks just can't grasp that the majority of the world nations and leaders had a good laugh at Trump and his "far from truth and reality USA" presentation, but instead rather believe that the world's leaders and their laughing actually agreed with the USA picture Trump was trying to paint.

• C Mc

Trump becomes a punchline at the U.N.

By Ishaan Tharoor
    September 27 at 12:59 AM
    Want smart analysis of the most important news in your inbox every weekday along with other global reads, interesting ideas and opinions to know? Sign up for the Today’s WorldView newsletter.

Slights of the round table (Eduardo Munoz)
    Even the most bullish of President Trump’s supporters would have a tough time classifying his performance at the United Nations this week as a success.

His Tuesday address to the U.N. General Assembly will be remembered for the mocking laughter that followed his claim that the Trump administration has, so far, “accomplished more than almost any administration in the history of our country.”

It didn’t get much better the next day: Trump chaired a session of the U.N. Security Council on weapons of mass destruction and nonproliferation, hoping to gin up support for his administration’s hard-line stance on the Iran nuclear deal. “This horrible, one-sided deal allowed Iran to continue its path toward a bomb and gave the regime a cash lifeline when they needed it the most,” Trump complained. “They were in big, big trouble. They needed cash. We gave it to them.”

Instead, virtually every other member country took turns scolding the United States for its undermining of the nuclear deal with Tehran. Trump’s withdrawal from the Iran deal and reimposition of sanctions on Iran was condemned by politicians ranging from the president of Peru to the vice president of the Ivory Coast to the foreign minister of Kazakhstan.

Bolivian President Evo Morales launched the most scathing attack, citing decades of malign American interference in the Middle East and then lashing out at Trump for acts such as separating migrant parents from their children at the U.S.-Mexico border. The United States, Morales said, “could not care less about human rights or justice." Trump could only thank Morales for his remarks.

Is Trump taking the US down or is the USA's past is catching up with her? CM