Back-to-School and the Encounter with Guns --by CM

13»

Comments

• GaoLu
    GaoLu Posts: 1,368
    edited August 2018
    Are you writing responses that your own posts now?

Ok.........
  • reformed
    reformed Posts: 3,176

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said:
    @C_M_ said:
    @reformed said:

There will also be no medicine. I guess you shouldn't use medicine. You still have yet to answer the question how you can have faith and use [the] medicine at the same time.
    You are absolutely Right! Satan, Sin and the effects of sin will be done away (Rev 21). No more sickness (medicine). The leaves of the tree will be for the healing of the nation (people). So, Get rid of your gun and start living lives like heaven on earth. ;) CM
    So do you vow to never take medicine again?
    ## Wrong question!
    1. Are you going give up your gun?
    No

Many in America are joined to their "guns, bullets, and religion".

Be a true disciple, live without a gun, and enjoy the Son! CM

That's not the definition of a "true disciple"

You're right. I am sorry you misread it so literally.

1. According to Webster's dictionary, it is "a person who believes in and helps disseminate the teachings of a master."
    2. The biblical word for 'disciple' means learner or student. "When a disciple is fully taught, he will be like his teacher" according to Luke 6:40.
      • Kittel'sTheological Dictionary of the New Testament tells us, "disciples" denotes the men who have attached themselves to Jesus as their Master."
      • The word ’disciple' also means follower. In Jesus' day, it was customary for a teacher to travel around while his students literally followed him. They would ask questions and dialogue as they walked along with him. Thus, a disciple was one who followed Christ, who walked in his ways and sought to imitate him.

This statement clearly reflects what is seen in Scripture. When Jesus Christ called men into a discipleship relationship with Him He said, "Follow Me” (John 2:43).

1. "Disciples made sacrifices to adjust their lifestyles to obey Christ; they were a breed apart. A disciple was and is a person of concrete action and commitment."
    2. Hull says, "Jesus described a disciple as one who abides in Him, is obedient, bears fruit, glorifies God, has joy, and loves (John 15:7-17)."
    3. In today's business world, the closest synonym would be an apprentice. A disciple receives on-the-job training.

To be a disciple is to be a follower. Jesus carried nor used a gun. He gave live not take it. So, likewise his disciples.

Be a true disciple ["Learner", "student", "follower"] live without a gun [a weapon designed to kill], and enjoy [live, praise, be an example, at peace] the Son [Jesus, the Christ]! CM

SOURCES:

• -- Webster's II New Riverside Dictionary. Office Edition (New York: Berkley Books, 1984), 201.
    • -- Gerhard Kittel, ed., Theological Dictionary of the New Testament, Vol. 4 (Grand Rapids: Michigan, Eerdmans Publishers, 1967), 441.
    • -- Josh Hunt with Dr. Lany Mays. Disciple-Making Teachers (Loveland, Colorado: Vital Ministry, 1998), 13.
    • -- Bill Hull. The Disciple Making Pastor (GrandRapids: Fleming H. Revell Co., 1988),56.

Jesus also never had a phone. I guess we shouldn't use those either. Jesus never played baseball, I guess that is out.

• C Mc
    C Mc Posts: 4,463
    edited August 2018

@reformed said:

Jesus also never had a phone. I guess we shouldn't use those either. Jesus never played baseball, I guess that is out.

I find your point to be very elementary. Just in case you haven't made the connection or you just being facetious; Phones were not made to kill or football. I am sorry I failed to make clear what's a true disciple of Christ is. I hope your response is just "Sunday morning funnies".

Guns were made to kill! CM

• GaoLu

Guns are a vastly more humane way of taking animals for food than other methods. Guns have made life far easier and perhaps saved the lives of millions from starvation and injury. They are wonderful for sporting and building relationships (male in particular--but we mustn't forget Annie Oakley) and for expression of talents. Guns have been used for evil as well. Some humans are like that.

Vegans have yet to find a humane way of taking cabbage. They just hack it to death. Disturbing.

• C Mc

@GaoLu said:
    Guns are a vastly more humane way of taking animals for food than other methods. Guns have made life far easier and perhaps saved the lives of millions from starvation and injury. They are wonderful for sporting and building relationships (male in particular--but we mustn't forget Annie Oakley) and for expression of talents. Guns have been used for evil as well. Some humans are like that.

Vegans have yet to find a humane way of taking cabbage. They just hack it to death. Disturbing.

GaoLu,

More people died today, from a gun, in Jacksonville, FL. Eleven injured, the gunman and others are dead.

I wonder how comforting your post would be to the grieving families. School is not in session in many pleases. Oh, what loss yet to come, because of too many so-called disciples of Christ, talk life, but depends upon and promote gun usage and sales. An instrument of death does what they do best--kill.

• GaoLu

You didn't address any points I raised. Of course. Just a blind man with a rusty trumpet.

• reformed

@C_M_ said:

@GaoLu said:

GaoLu,

More people died today, from a gun, in Jacksonville, FL. Eleven injured, the gunman and others are dead.

I wonder how comforting your post would be to the grieving families. School is not in session in many pleases. Oh, what loss yet to come, because of too many so-called disciples of Christ, talk life, but depends upon and promote gun usage and sales. An instrument of death does what they do best--kill.

More people died from Abortion today.

• GaoLu
    edited August 2018
    1. Guns are made to kill?
    2. 70 children every year die from choking on hot dogs. Hotdogs were made to Kill!
    3. Well, maybe, but not by choking.
    Post edited by GaoLu on
  • C Mc

Guns were made to kill! Now, you believe?

Dallas officer Amber Guyger, who killed a black man in his apartment, shot a man last year

John BaconUpdated 1:14 p.m. ET Sept. 9, 2018
    A Dallas police officer returning home from work shot and killed a neighbor after she said she mistook his apartment for her own, police said Friday. (Sept. 7) AP

The Dallas police officer who says she fatally shot a black man in his apartment believing that it was her own apartment also shot another man last year, according to court documents.

Police say Amber Guyger, a four-year veteran of the force, told investigators she was returning home from her shift Thursday night and accidentally entered Botham Jean's apartment. Guyger, who is white, believed Jean was an intruder and shot him, police said. Police have released few other details.

"Right now there are more questions than answers," Police Chief Renee said. "We understand the concerns of the community. That is why we are working as vigorously and meticulously as we can to ensure the integrity of the case and the department is upheld."

In May 2017, Guyger was called to assist another officer searching for a suspect. An affidavit indicates a man identified as Uvaldo Perez got out of a car and became combative with Guyger and another officer. A struggle began and Guyger fired her Taser at Perez, who wrested the weapon away from her. Guyger then drew her gun and shot Perez in the abdomen, the affidavit says. Guyger was not charged in the case.

Jean's family is demanding charges against Guyger in Jean's death. Guyger has been placed on paid administrative leave.

Hall announced Friday that investigators were preparing a warrant for a manslaughter charged. She also turned the case over to the Texas Rangers, citing the need for transparency in the investigation. A day later, however, she said the Rangers had asked her to hold off on the charges. The Rangers, she said, had interviewed Guyger and wanted to further investigate information obtained from her.

Mayor Mike Rawlings defended Hall's "wisdom" in turning the investigation over to the Rangers. The family, however, wants to see resolution.

“She took my life away, like my very own life,” said Jean's mother, Allison. “She has to face whatever the law says. The very Bible says to render to Caesar that which is Caesar so if Caesar says to pay a penalty for a life, then she has to pay.”

More: Dallas police officer fatally shoots man after entering wrong apartment.

Shameful loss. CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:
    Guns were made to kill! Now, you believe?

Dallas officer Amber Guyger, who killed a black man in his apartment, shot a man last year

John BaconUpdated 1:14 p.m. ET Sept. 9, 2018
    A Dallas police officer returning home from work shot and killed a neighbor after she said she mistook his apartment for her own, police said Friday. (Sept. 7) AP

The Dallas police officer who says she fatally shot a black man in his apartment believing that it was her own apartment also shot another man last year, according to court documents.

Police say Amber Guyger, a four-year veteran of the force, told investigators she was returning home from her shift Thursday night and accidentally entered Botham Jean's apartment. Guyger, who is white, believed Jean was an intruder and shot him, police said. Police have released few other details.

"Right now there are more questions than answers," Police Chief Renee said. "We understand the concerns of the community. That is why we are working as vigorously and meticulously as we can to ensure the integrity of the case and the department is upheld."

In May 2017, Guyger was called to assist another officer searching for a suspect. An affidavit indicates a man identified as Uvaldo Perez got out of a car and became combative with Guyger and another officer. A struggle began and Guyger fired her Taser at Perez, who wrested the weapon away from her. Guyger then drew her gun and shot Perez in the abdomen, the affidavit says. Guyger was not charged in the case.

Jean's family is demanding charges against Guyger in Jean's death. Guyger has been placed on paid administrative leave.

Hall announced Friday that investigators were preparing a warrant for a manslaughter charged. She also turned the case over to the Texas Rangers, citing the need for transparency in the investigation. A day later, however, she said the Rangers had asked her to hold off on the charges. The Rangers, she said, had interviewed Guyger and wanted to further investigate information obtained from her.

Mayor Mike Rawlings defended Hall's "wisdom" in turning the investigation over to the Rangers. The family, however, wants to see resolution.

“She took my life away, like my very own life,” said Jean's mother, Allison. “She has to face whatever the law says. The very Bible says to render to Caesar that which is Caesar so if Caesar says to pay a penalty for a life, then she has to pay.”

More: Dallas police officer fatally shoots man after entering wrong apartment.

Shameful loss. CM

Tragic accident, but this doesn't change my view of firearms.

• C Mc

@reformed said:

Tragic accident, but this doesn't change my view of firearms.

Understandable, it's not your loved one. Guns were made to kill. CM

• C Mc

HERE WE GO AGAIN! GUNS WERE MADE TO KILL (ANY AND EVERYWHERE):

Westside High School student critically injured in shooting

School bus driver rushes student shot in chest to nearby fire station

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - A student from Westside High School was shot Wednesday morning while walking to his bus stop, and a school bus driver rushed him to a nearby fire station, according to the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office.

Lt. Will Janes said a black vehicle approached the boy as he was walking on Lane Avenue toward his bus stop around 6:15 a.m. and someone inside opened fire. The student was hit one time, but was able to get to the bus stop and was loaded onto the bus, Janes said.

“The bus driver made a split-second decision to transport him to the fire station you see behind me,” Janes said. “It was likely very important (that the driver did that). The immediate medical care that he got very likely saved his life.”

Janes said the boy was taken to a hospital with critical injuries.

Duval County School Board member Scott Shine said the boy was shot in the chest.

Police did not have any description of the shooter....

Gun lovers, what if this were your child? CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:
    HERE WE GO AGAIN! GUNS WERE MADE TO KILL (ANY AND EVERYWHERE):

Westside High School student critically injured in shooting

School bus driver rushes student shot in chest to nearby fire station

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - A student from Westside High School was shot Wednesday morning while walking to his bus stop, and a school bus driver rushed him to a nearby fire station, according to the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office.

Lt. Will Janes said a black vehicle approached the boy as he was walking on Lane Avenue toward his bus stop around 6:15 a.m. and someone inside opened fire. The student was hit one time, but was able to get to the bus stop and was loaded onto the bus, Janes said.

“The bus driver made a split-second decision to transport him to the fire station you see behind me,” Janes said. “It was likely very important (that the driver did that). The immediate medical care that he got very likely saved his life.”

Janes said the boy was taken to a hospital with critical injuries.

Duval County School Board member Scott Shine said the boy was shot in the chest.

Police did not have any description of the shooter....

Gun lovers, what if this were your child? CM

Still wouldn't change my opinion of guns. It's a terrible thing that happened. But that doesn't mean you should take away guns.

• C Mc

NEW UPDATE! Guns, It's bad business.

Accidental School Shooting Prompts Possible Clear Bag Policy

A school district in Alabama is considering implementing a clear backpack policy following the accidental shooting of a student who brought a gun to his elementary school.

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. (AP) — A school district in Alabama is considering implementing a clear backpack policy following the accidental shooting of a student who brought a gun to his elementary school.

WHNT-TV reports Huntsville City Schools Superintendent Christie Finley says the policy will make it difficult for students to bring prohibited items on campus.

Huntsville Police Chief Mark McMurray has said a "small student" brought the gun to school Monday and was shot in the hand while showing it to other students. He says the shooting at the Blossomwood Elementary School was accidental.

Police say the firearm was traced to the child's father, 41-year-old Letroy Cole Jr. Cole was then charged with receiving stolen property and being a convicted felon in possession of a firearm. It's unclear if he has a lawyer.

Information from: WHNT-TV, http://whnt.com/

Copyright 2018 ********

Instruments of Death, Guns. Are students loosing privacy with a clear backpack policy? CM

• C Mc

Judge Blocks Guns In Schools In Uinta County

By MELODIE EDWARDS • SEP 18, 2018

Last winter, the Uinta County School Board voted to allow teachers and staff to carry guns in schools. But now a judge has blocked that decision, saying the school board didn’t follow Wyoming’s rules for policymaking under the Wyoming Administrative Procedures Act. Sweetwater County Judge Nena James ruled last week the board should have posted the proposal 45 days before voting on it.

Sheila McGuire is a parent in the school district and a reporter for the local newspaper covering the story. She said, the school board was making changes to the policy minutes before both of the votes they took on the proposal.

“I did ask them--even publicly asked them--to slow down and look at research on gun safety and statistics and whether or not this would actually make any kind of a difference, and to allow more time for the public to be involved,” said McGuire.

McGuire said, part of the problem came from the state. When lawmakers passed the bill allowing school districts to arm teachers, she said they didn’t give enough guidance to districts on how to make that decision.

“There’s a lot of, I think, confusion about the best way to go about doing this,” said McGuire. “And given that our district was the first in the state to actually adopt such a policy, it’s not surprising that there was legal action.”

But McGuire said the school district moved forward with the plan and has been paying to have staff trained on an individual basis and approving several to carry guns in schools.

Now however, the district has agreed to comply with the judge’s demand to halt the program, although McGuire says they may choose to appeal the decision with the Wyoming Supreme Court.

The school district did not respond to Wyoming Public Radio’s request for comment.

Finally, commonsense rules the day. CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:

Judge Blocks Guns In Schools In Uinta County

By MELODIE EDWARDS • SEP 18, 2018

Last winter, the Uinta County School Board voted to allow teachers and staff to carry guns in schools. But now a judge has blocked that decision, saying the school board didn’t follow Wyoming’s rules for policymaking under the Wyoming Administrative Procedures Act. Sweetwater County Judge Nena James ruled last week the board should have posted the proposal 45 days before voting on it.

Sheila McGuire is a parent in the school district and a reporter for the local newspaper covering the story. She said, the school board was making changes to the policy minutes before both of the votes they took on the proposal.

“I did ask them--even publicly asked them--to slow down and look at research on gun safety and statistics and whether or not this would actually make any kind of a difference, and to allow more time for the public to be involved,” said McGuire.

McGuire said, part of the problem came from the state. When lawmakers passed the bill allowing school districts to arm teachers, she said they didn’t give enough guidance to districts on how to make that decision.

“There’s a lot of, I think, confusion about the best way to go about doing this,” said McGuire. “And given that our district was the first in the state to actually adopt such a policy, it’s not surprising that there was legal action.”

But McGuire said the school district moved forward with the plan and has been paying to have staff trained on an individual basis and approving several to carry guns in schools.

Now however, the district has agreed to comply with the judge’s demand to halt the program, although McGuire says they may choose to appeal the decision with the Wyoming Supreme Court.

The school district did not respond to Wyoming Public Radio’s request for comment.

Finally, commonsense rules the day. CM

They didn't really rule against guns in schools, they ruled on a procedural objection.

• C Mc

Who cares, anything that keeps guns out of the schools is a good day. CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:
    Who cares, anything that keeps guns out of the schools is a good day. CM

Should there be police officers in schools? Should they have guns?

• C Mc

The first line of defense is the perimeter. No teachers with guns! CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:

I'll note you didn't answer the question. Although, I do agree the first line of defense is the perimeter. But what happens if that perimeter fails?

• C Mc

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:

I'll note you didn't answer the question. Although, I do agree the first line of defense is the perimeter.

I answered your question. You don't want to accept my answer. Sad.

But what happens if that perimeter fails?

The same thing if a teacher fails to stop an intruder in the building or classroom. Let the police do their job in the community and around the school and let the teacher do their job, teach. CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:

I'll note you didn't answer the question. Although, I do agree the first line of defense is the perimeter.

I answered your question. You don't want to accept my answer. Sad.

No you didn't. I asked about police officers, not teachers

But what happens if that perimeter fails?

The same thing if a teacher fails to stop an intruder in the building or classroom. Let the police do their job in the community and around the school and let the teacher do their job, teach. CM

You think a teacher's only job is to teach? Actually for the 8 hours they are with a student a teacher is a primary care giver and responsible for the well being of each child.

• C Mc

@reformed said:

I told you where I think police officers should be when it comes to schools. What part of this you don't understand? CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said:

I told you where I think police officers should be when it comes to schools. What part of this you don't understand? CM

Actually you didn't. Go back and read your post.