@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:
    Shouldn't we ask if school shootings are becoming more common and deadlier?

We have and they aren't.

I do not recall anything like the frequency and deadliness of today's school shootings before.

Um that's what this thread is actually about....

But they are more common now.

No, they aren't. That is what the article that started this thread shows. They are actually declining. They are over-reported now.

I'm sorry, but one a week or so is nothing like the zip-gun thugs of the 50s popping a kid in the stomach.

There isn't one a week.

Just sayin', I believe we are reaching a point where it might exceed that.

That doesn't even make sense to say since we are nowhere near 1 a week. Not even close, not even approaching a hint of it. So to say we are approaching a point where we exceed that is nonsense.

Everything entropies. If it is bad now, it will be worse tomorrow unless laws change to keep step with technology.

Except this whole thread is about the fact that they are DECLINING not INCREASING.

• Dave_L
    Dave_L Posts: 2,362

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:
    Shouldn't we ask if school shootings are becoming more common and deadlier?

We have and they aren't.

I do not recall anything like the frequency and deadliness of today's school shootings before.

Um that's what this thread is actually about....

But they are more common now.

No, they aren't. That is what the article that started this thread shows. They are actually declining. They are over-reported now.

I'm sorry, but one a week or so is nothing like the zip-gun thugs of the 50s popping a kid in the stomach.

There isn't one a week.

Just sayin', I believe we are reaching a point where it might exceed that.

That doesn't even make sense to say since we are nowhere near 1 a week. Not even close, not even approaching a hint of it. So to say we are approaching a point where we exceed that is nonsense.

Everything entropies. If it is bad now, it will be worse tomorrow unless laws change to keep step with technology.

Except this whole thread is about the fact that they are DECLINING not INCREASING.

I believe the thread is wrong drawing that conclusion.

• Dave_L

This shows that school shootings are becoming common.

If you think mass shootings are becoming more frequent, and worse — you're right

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-hiltzik-mass-shootings-20171120-story.html

• dct112685
    dct112685 Posts: 1,114

@Dave_L said:

If you think mass shootings are becoming more frequent, and worse — you're right

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-hiltzik-mass-shootings-20171120-story.html

No it doesn't. This shows mass shootings, not just school shootings.

• Dave_L

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

If you separate the school shootings from the other mass killings, they are becoming common.

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

If you separate the school shootings from the other mass killings, they are becoming common.

School shootings? No they are not. We have already shown actual evidence to prove that is not the case.

• Dave_L

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

School shootings? No they are not. We have already shown actual evidence to prove that is not the case.

We can "doctor shop" the Internet and prove anything. But in my personal experience school shootings are far more frequent than when I began school in the 50s.

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

We can "doctor shop" the Internet and prove anything. But in my personal experience school shootings are far more frequent than when I began school in the 50s.

We aren't talking about the 50's Dave. We are talking about a decline from the 90's.

• Dave_L

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

We aren't talking about the 50's Dave. We are talking about a decline from the 90's.

Which is up from the 50s = becoming common.

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

There are so many things wrong with this statement and the mindset behind it I don't even know what to say.

• Dave_L

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

There are so many things wrong with this statement and the mindset behind it I don't even know what to say.

Are there more shootings in the post 50s? If so, they are becoming common, not uncommon.

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

Are there more shootings in the post 50s? If so, they are becoming common, not uncommon.

Common means often. That is not true. They are still rare. More frequent than the 50's may be accurate, but not common.

• Dave_L

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

Common means often. That is not true. They are still rare. More frequent than the 50's may be accurate, but not common.

Becoming common still means not common. Just moving in that direction.

• C Mc
    C Mc Posts: 4,463

@GaoLu said:
    By the way, based on what is going on in Austin, looks like we need better bomb-control laws. Raise the age, background checks or something. Maybe outlaw them altogether. That would totally stop violence of this nature. Right?

I am certain you are being facetious. I got the light moment. ;)

Just in case you're not: Does the Second Amendment permits all Americans the right to bombs? Is it supported by the NRA? Is Mr. Trump considering that teachers to have one in the classroom? Can a person under 21yrs of age can purchase and own as many bombs he can afford? Do they sell bombs at Dick's, Walmart and gun shows (Bombs Shows)?

Certainly, more bombs are not the answer. Just like more guns are not the answers. Yes, review the law. Something certain political leaders and the NRA would not even allow. Yes, bombs, "outlaw them all together." They are not needed to protect one's home, property or personhood. Bombs belong on the battlefield.

Greater detection and prevention are the way forward. CM

PS. I offered in CD to collectively brainstorm to make schools safe without teachers having a gun in the classroom. It was rejected as if I were to ask the Pope to endorse abortions. CM

• GaoLu
    GaoLu Posts: 1,368
    edited March 2018

@C_M_ said:

@GaoLu said:
    By the way, based on what is going on in Austin, looks like we need better bomb-control laws. Raise the age, background checks or something. Maybe outlaw them altogether. That would totally stop violence of this nature. Right?

I am certain you are being facetious. I got the light moment. ;)

Good. Uh....was it light? I was serious.

Just in case you're not: Does the Second Amendment permits all Americans the right to bombs? Is it supported by the NRA? Is Mr. Trump considering that teachers to have one in the classroom? Can a person under 21yrs of age can purchase and own as many bombs he can afford? Do they sell bombs at Dick's, Walmart and gun shows (Bombs Shows)?

Tough questions. Maybe Research Bill can ferret out answers to those tough questions.

Times have changed. As a kid we made all manner of bombs. My dad taught me. We made a few together. My grandpa even helped. My Dad warned me to be careful because he once accidentally killed a chicken with one when he was a kid. He also took some shingles off the roof of the house at a family reunion back in the 40's. His dad whipped him for that.

My grandpa once filled an innertube with--I better not say what in case kids ever read this--but it was readily available in any mechanic's home garage. Anyway, we hung the innertube on a wooden fence post (which no longer exists) and set it off with a dynamite cap (which you could readily get in those days). I remember, after the tremendous explosion, my grandpa jumping up and down, whooping and laughing and saying, "I bet that blew out some windows in town!" It probably didn't.

I could tell you so many more--a few of which I sort of regret. I'd love to tell you the great one about the Constable's car---but another time (no one was harmed--and as far as I know the car was ok).

By the way, CM were you a city kid?

Certainly, more bombs are not the answer. Just like more guns are not the answers. Yes, review the law. Something certain political leaders and the NRA would not even allow. Yes, bombs, "outlaw them all together." They are not needed to protect one's home, property or personhood. Bombs belong on the battlefield.

Cute. Guns and bombs are classified the same when it fits your agenda and classified differently when it does not. Well, we take that into account as we consider the credibility of arguments.

Greater detection and prevention are the way forward. CM

The only way? Ha! Wake up! You may create a brief disturbance in incidence, at best. No, CM. There is only one cure and that is a change of heart. Put most of your berries in that basket and you will get results.

PS. I offered in CD to collectively brainstorm to make schools safe without teachers having a gun in the classroom. It was rejected as if I were to ask the Pope to endorse abortions. CM

Rejection doesn't feel good. Need a therapy kitten? Better therapy yet is a grandpa or a dad to help you blow up an innertube. Trust me, it clears a lot of emotional cobwebs.

I don't think you had much response and here is why:

We already know that...
    1. Gun Control has little effect--maybe a teensy bit, at least temporarily, if properly applied. We don't give real guns to kids to use as toys, etc.
    2. Heart Control is the best solution.

I suppose there are some other ideas with minimal effect. We could bat those around, but the problem is the heart. A little common-sense safety doesn't hurt either. Hang you gun high, don't leave it lying around loaded, lock it up if kids might get too it. What else?

• C Mc

Thanks, whoever you are. Where is the old GaoLu? CM

• GaoLu
    GaoLu Posts: 1,368
    edited March 2018

Right here. Same person, same place.

You asked for ideas. I gave some. Did you have something constructive to add?

• C Mc

@GaoLu said:
    Right here. Same person, same place.

You asked for ideas. I gave some. Did you have something constructive to add?

Thanks for suggestions. It wasn't the suggestions I had in mind when I said: "Thanks, whoever you are. Where is the old GaoLu?" It was your tone that startled me.

GaoLu, when you said, "Rejection doesn't feel good. Need a therapy kitten? Better therapy yet is a grandpa or a dad to help you blow up an innertube. Trust me, it clears a lot of emotional cobwebs"; please know, I am not as petty as you set out to make me. I don't suffer from the childish behavior of your President.

So, in future, let's not go there. It cheapens the conversation. Remember, "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things" (1 Cor 13:11). CM