School Shootings Aren't Common

Comments

• Bill_Coley
    Bill_Coley Posts: 2,675

Am I correct to assume that you created this thread today because there was another school shooting today?

• dct112685
    dct112685 Posts: 1,114

@Bill_Coley said:

Am I correct to assume that you created this thread today because there was another school shooting today?

No. But let's wait for the actual details of that incident come in before you start on your gun control rants please...

• Bill_Coley
    Bill_Coley Posts: 2,675

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Bill_Coley said:

No. But let's wait for the actual details of that incident come in before you start on your gun control rants please...

No rants, David. I just thought your thread was particularly timely, given the events of the day. I bet you'll agree with me that the more often we have school shootings, the more important it is to be reminded that we don't have school shootings very often.

• dct112685

@Bill_Coley said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Bill_Coley said:

No rants, David. I just thought your thread was particularly timely, given the events of the day. I bet you'll agree with me that the more often we have school shootings, the more important it is to be reminded that we don't have school shootings very often.

Honestly I think it is over sensationalized. Now I know that will sound heartless but it is true. There are much bigger problems in this country that happen with much more frequency and much higher death tolls.

• C Mc
    C Mc Posts: 4,463
    1. What intelligent man would believe this unpersuasive report?
    2. Who is so gullible to think the NRA is not behind the researchers, data, or the funding of such a report?
    3. This report is putrefying garbage in the nostrils of the parents whose loved ones rest in the cemetery.
    4. Taking this nonsense-report at face value, why spend money on training and arming teachers if school shootings are so few?

Those who are seeking to carry Mr. Trump's bad idea (guns in the classrooms), supported by NRA, in light of today's shooting should bow their heads in shame; and while at it, pray. They need to stop carrying this dirty water against these families and endangering multiple children. CM

• dct112685

@C_M_ said:
    1. What intelligent man would believe this unpersuasive report?
    2. Who is so gullible to think the NRA is not behind the researchers, data, or the funding of such a report?
    3. This report is putrefying garbage in the nostrils of the parents whose loved ones rest in the cemetery.
    4. Taking this nonsense-report at face value, why spend money on training and arming teachers if school shootings are so few?

Those who are seeking to carry Mr. Trump's bad idea (guns in the classrooms), supported by NRA, in light of today's shooting should bow their heads in shame; and while at it, pray. They need to stop carrying this dirty water against these families and endangering multiple children. CM

sigh

• Dave_L
    Dave_L Posts: 2,362

Shouldn't we ask if school shootings are becoming more common and deadlier?

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:

We have and they aren't.

• Dave_L

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

We have and they aren't.

I do not recall anything like the frequency and deadliness of today's school shootings before.

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

We have and they aren't.

I do not recall anything like the frequency and deadliness of today's school shootings before.

Um that's what this thread is actually about....

• Dave_L

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

We have and they aren't.

But they are more common now.

• @Dave_L said:

and there were the same gun control laws in effect before ... which would indicate that changes in gun control laws are beside the point and the causes for school shootings are not related to the gun control laws.

• Dave_L

@Wolfgang said:

@Dave_L said:

and there were the same gun control laws in effect before ... which would indicate that changes in gun control laws are beside the point and the causes for school shootings are not related to the gun control laws.

Or that laws need changed to compensate for the deteriorating morality in people.

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

We have and they aren't.

No, they aren't. That is what the article that started this thread shows. They are actually declining. They are over-reported now.

• Dave_L

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

We have and they aren't.

No, they aren't. That is what the article that started this thread shows. They are actually declining. They are over-reported now.

I'm sorry, but one a week or so is nothing like the zip-gun thugs of the 50s popping a kid in the stomach.

• C Mc
    edited March 2018

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

We have and they aren't.

As long as the number of school shootings (children's death) doesn't come close to the number of abortions, this nonsense report, cited above, would always be relevant. Some people value what's in the womb (???) of more value than the child outside the womb, in the classroom. CM

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

We have and they aren't.

I'm sorry, but one a week or so is nothing like the zip-gun thugs of the 50s popping a kid in the stomach.

There isn't one a week.

@C_M_ said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

We have and they aren't.

As long as the number of school shootings (children's death) doesn't come close to the number of abortions, this nonsense report cited above would always be relevant. Some people value what's in the womb (???) of more value than the child outside the womb, in the classroom. CM

And how again is the report nonsense?

• GaoLu
    GaoLu Posts: 1,368

Thanks for sharing that amazing report from Northeastern, one of America's premier institutes of higher learning since 1898, an R1 research institute as defined by the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education.

That report says it all.

• C Mc

@GaoLu said:
    Thanks for sharing that amazing report from Northeastern, one of America's premier institutes of higher learning since 1898, an R1 research institute as defined by the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education.

That report says it all.

The President of USA was once a respectable and moral leader in the world with dependable creditability. Not so today.

• The House and Senate were committed to protecting the American People of all enemies foreign and domestic. Not so, when it comes to Russia.

• Tax laws are reasonably developed. not so today.

• Firing of Federal Judges and employing people who can't and don't have top secret clearance.

• Selection of Supreme Court justice given a hearing, not so, etc.

Who can trust any Institution in America today? Prove to me this organization is independent of the White House, Cork Brothers, Mercer Family, and the NRA. Until then, "I have a bridge to sell you, called Brooklyn."

At best, this report is too convenient to be effective. It gives the appearance of being a good distraction for Trump and the White House. Besides, too many people are willing to carry this Administration's dirty waters. shame! CM

• GaoLu

Thanks for sharing your views. Now, back on topic:

"Armed school employee stops shooter, prevents massacre"

• C Mc

@GaoLu said:

My, my, my, GaoLu,

1. For a pro-lifer, you seem to be happy there was a killing at the school.
    2. It was NOT a mass-shooting situation. It was a targeted-personal relationship ordeal, equally sad.
    3. A long gun or an AR-15 rifle WAS NOT used.
    4. The defense shot was NOT by a teacher. It was by a trained officer whose sole duty to protect from the outside.
    5. The shooting was outside and NOT in a classroom.
    6. Instead of gloating you should be emphasizing prayers for the victims family and the family of the dead.
    7. Trained officers on the outside are not my position, to begin with. I am deeply opposed to arming teachers or guns in the classroom. The officer on the outside is an arm of the State Law Enforcement Department.
    8. A real life was lost today. His family deserves no prayers or compassion? WWJD?

GaoLu, and David, please, don't let this and other shooting causes you to lose your perspective or your Christian love and compassion for the families of victims of evil acts. CM

• dct112685

@C_M_ said:

@GaoLu said:

My, my, my, GaoLu,

2. It was NOT a mass-shooting situation. It was a targeted-personal relationship ordeal, equally sad.
    3. A long gun or an AR-15 rifle WAS NOT used.
    4. The defense shot was NOT by a teacher. It was by a trained officer whose sole duty to protect from the outside.
    5. The shooting was outside and NOT in a classroom.
    6. Instead of gloating you should be emphasizing prayers for the victims family and the family of the dead.
    7. Trained officers on the outside are not my position, to begin with. I am deeply opposed to arming teachers or guns in the classroom. The officer on the outside is an arm of the State Law Enforcement Department.
    8. A real life was lost today. His family deserves no prayers or compassion? WWJD?

GaoLu, and David, please, don't let this and other shooting causes you to lose your perspective or your Christian love and compassion for the families of victims of evil acts. CM

The ones without compassion are the ones who immediately politicize the event and scream for gun control.

• C Mc

@davidtaylorjr said:

The ones without compassion are the ones who immediately politicize the event and scream for gun control.

• If true, does this justify gloating? I don't agree with your assessment above.
    • You seem to express more compassion for what's in a woman's womb (which is none of your business) than a child in a classroom or children in a schoolyard. Don't go down that ramp. Stay on the highway of reasonableness. CM
  • dct112685

@C_M_ said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

• If true, does this justify gloating? I don't agree with your assessment above.

Who's gloating?

• You seem to express more compassion for what's in a woman's womb (which is none of your business) than a child in a classroom or children in a schoolyard. Don't go down that ramp. Stay on the highway of reasonableness. CM

A baby is everyone's business if the woman wants to murder it. And you brought that up, not me.

• C Mc

A baby is everyone's business if the woman wants to murder it. And you brought that up, not me.

You have a point. There are laws of the land for babies on the land, outside the womb, in her mother's hands. There are also laws of the land that permits a woman to have an abortion in consultation with her Pastor, family, doctor, and spouse. Even the conservative State of Mississippi affirmed this today, albeit restrictive.

Would you and others in CD respect the woman's right to an abortion as you dogmatically promotes and defends an American right to purchase and own as many guns as possible? You bought up the "everyone's business", "not me." CM

• GaoLu
    edited March 2018

@C_M_ said:

@GaoLu said:

My, my, my, GaoLu,

Your, your your...what, CM?

Do you honestly believe that or are you not being honest?

1. It was NOT a mass-shooting situation. It was a targeted-personal relationship ordeal, equally sad.

I see. Which one? How many people means "mass to you? I thought we were talking about mass shootings? Integrity matters.

1. A long gun or an AR-15 rifle WAS NOT used.

Oh. So. Did you have a point? Who mentioned anything about that? (Recently a Canadian customs officer asked if I had a long gun and I said I did and he waved me through. I am still not sure if that was ok or not).

1. The defense shot was NOT by a teacher. It was by a trained officer whose sole duty to protect from the outside.

Yes. Astute. That would be my point.

1. The shooting was outside and NOT in a classroom.

Would you prefer that it was inside? That is how we keep it outside.

1. Instead of gloating you should be emphasizing prayers for the victims family and the family of the dead.

Is that what I should do? OK. Good idea. See above where I have a few times already. And I emphasize prayer and compassion again now.

1. Trained officers on the outside are not my position, to begin with. I am deeply opposed to arming teachers or guns in the classroom. The officer on the outside is an arm of the State Law Enforcement Department.

Tell you a little secret, I am not for arming teachers either. I think there are even better ways to prevent such problems and if you go back you will see that I have mentioned those multiple times.

1. A real life was lost today. His family deserves no prayers or compassion? WWJD?

Sometimes I wonder from where you conjure this stuff up. Who on earth on planet earth do you actually know (other than Hawkings and it's too late for him) that would think the family deserves no prayers or compassion? Your implications are kind of negative. It comes down to Honesty, CM. I know it was Bill that declared himself honest and not you. But I still think it's a good idea.

Wise counsel. But then again, why on earth would it?

• GaoLu

By the way, based on what is going on in Austin, looks like we need better bomb-control laws. Raise the age, background checks or something. Maybe outlaw them altogether. That would totally stop violence of this nature. Right?

• Dave_L

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

We have and they aren't.

There isn't one a week.

Just sayin', I believe we are reaching a point where it might exceed that.

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

We have and they aren't.

There isn't one a week.

That doesn't even make sense to say since we are nowhere near 1 a week. Not even close, not even approaching a hint of it. So to say we are approaching a point where we exceed that is nonsense.

• Dave_L

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

We have and they aren't.

There isn't one a week.

That doesn't even make sense to say since we are nowhere near 1 a week. Not even close, not even approaching a hint of it. So to say we are approaching a point where we exceed that is nonsense.

Everything entropies. If it is bad now, it will be worse tomorrow unless laws change to keep step with technology.