Can Your Genes Predict Whether You'll Be a Conservative or a Liberal?

13»

Comments

• Dave_L
    Dave_L Posts: 2,362

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:
    If God does not heal, why pray before you go to the doctor?

Who said God does not heal?

If you pray before going to the doctor, what is wrong with praying for supernatural healing as James instructs? If God can heal supernaturally apart from the atonement then Christ's death was in vain.

Ok let's get something straight:

1. There is nothing wrong with praying for supernatural healing. I have never claimed that there is.
    2. The atonement has nothing to do with God supernaturally healing someone. Is. 53.5 has NOTHING to do with physical healing.
    3. Did you read the article I posted to you? https://www.gty.org/library/blog/B160817

I did not read the GTY article.

Isaiah includes physical healing in the atonement. If he is not speaking about physical healing and spiritual only, then we must spiritualize the rest which is obviously physical.

• dct112685
    dct112685 Posts: 1,114

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

If you pray before going to the doctor, what is wrong with praying for supernatural healing as James instructs? If God can heal supernaturally apart from the atonement then Christ's death was in vain.

1. There is nothing wrong with praying for supernatural healing. I have never claimed that there is.
    2. The atonement has nothing to do with God supernaturally healing someone. Is. 53.5 has NOTHING to do with physical healing.
    3. Did you read the article I posted to you? https://www.gty.org/library/blog/B160817

Isaiah includes physical healing in the atonement. If he is not speaking about physical healing and spiritual only, then we must spiritualize the rest which is obviously physical.

If you aren't going to read the article don't respond to the post. That's dishonest.

• Dave_L

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

If you aren't going to read the article don't respond to the post. That's dishonest.

I scanned it and think McA is using a strawman argument against scripture.

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

No he is using common sense. No credible theologian uses Is 53.5 for physical healing. That, as the article states, goes more with the charismatic scene that have all sorts of theology out of whack.

• Dave_L

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

No he is using common sense. No credible theologian uses Is 53.5 for physical healing. That, as the article states, goes more with the charismatic scene that have all sorts of theology out of whack.

I'm not Charismatic. I do not think you can use their errors to undermine Isaiah.

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

I'm not Charismatic. I do not think you can use their errors to undermine Isaiah.

I'm not. I'm saying that isn't what was talked about in Isaiah.

https://www.gotquestions.org/by-His-stripes-healed.html

53:5 we are healed. The sufferings of Christ remove the penalty that His people otherwise owe, and as a result He will undo the effects of sin in them. Death itself will be undone at last (1 Cor. 15:26). (Reformation Study Bible)

53:5 pierced. See Ps 22:16; Zec 12:10; Jn 19:34. crushed. In spirit (see Ps 34:18; cf. Isa 57:15). The sins of the world weighed heavily upon him. healed. Here equivalent to “forgiven” (see 6:10; Jer 30:17; see also note on 1Pe 2:24). (Concordia Self-Study Bible)

The term “healing” is used in 19:22 to describe both the physical (from a plague) and spiritual restoration (they will turn to the Lord and he will respond) of a nation. Since the problems in 53:5 are rebellious acts and iniquities, it appears that the healing relates primarily to the healing of the people’s spiritual relationship to God. (New American Commentary)

In his wound (or, in his medicine) we have healing. He again directs us to Christ, that we may betake ourselves to his wounds, provided that we wish to regain life. Here the Prophet draws a contrast between us and Christ; for in us nothing can be found but destruction and death; in Christ alone is life and salvation. (John Calvin's Commentary)

With his stripes we are healed; by his sufferings we are saved from our sins, and from the dreadful effects thereof. (Matthew Poole's Commentary)

I could keep going....

• Dave_L
    edited March 2018

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

I'm not. I'm saying that isn't what was talked about in Isaiah.

https://www.gotquestions.org/by-His-stripes-healed.html

53:5 we are healed. The sufferings of Christ remove the penalty that His people otherwise owe, and as a result He will undo the effects of sin in them. Death itself will be undone at last (1 Cor. 15:26). (Reformation Study Bible)

53:5 pierced. See Ps 22:16; Zec 12:10; Jn 19:34. crushed. In spirit (see Ps 34:18; cf. Isa 57:15). The sins of the world weighed heavily upon him. healed. Here equivalent to “forgiven” (see 6:10; Jer 30:17; see also note on 1Pe 2:24). (Concordia Self-Study Bible)

The term “healing” is used in 19:22 to describe both the physical (from a plague) and spiritual restoration (they will turn to the Lord and he will respond) of a nation. Since the problems in 53:5 are rebellious acts and iniquities, it appears that the healing relates primarily to the healing of the people’s spiritual relationship to God. (New American Commentary)

In his wound (or, in his medicine) we have healing. He again directs us to Christ, that we may betake ourselves to his wounds, provided that we wish to regain life. Here the Prophet draws a contrast between us and Christ; for in us nothing can be found but destruction and death; in Christ alone is life and salvation. (John Calvin's Commentary)

With his stripes we are healed; by his sufferings we are saved from our sins, and from the dreadful effects thereof. (Matthew Poole's Commentary)

I could keep going....

But if sin causes sickness, and God forgives us and the sin no longer causes the sickness, are we not healed by Jesus' stripes? How many times does God heal when they repent of the sins causing the sickness?