Can Your Genes Predict Whether You'll Be a Conservative or a Liberal?

Scientific research shows political partisanship transcends economics, environment, and upbringing.

AVI TUSCHMAN OCT 24, 2013

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2013/10/can-your-genes-predict-whether-youll-be-a-conservative-or-a-liberal/280677/

Also: Can genes make us liberal or conservative?
August 4, 2015

https://phys.org/news/2015-08-genes-liberal.html

Or: Study Predicts Political Beliefs With 83 Percent Accuracy

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/study-predicts-political-beliefs-with-83-percent-accuracy-17536124/

Comments

• Dave_L
    Dave_L Posts: 2,362

@davidtaylorjr said:
    No

Thanks for your reply, I thought the thread went unnoticed. I think the articles are interesting since they reflect scripture about people choosing according to their nature, and never apart from it.

• GaoLu
    GaoLu Posts: 1,368

Genes don't determine choice. Even nature does not determine choice.

• Dave_L

@GaoLu said:

Thanks for sharing. One thing that stands out in my mind is how much children are like their grandparents. Or family traits that seem as though they are passed down. Identical twin studies show strong personality traits in those separated at birth. Including political bias.

• GaoLu

@Dave_L said:

@GaoLu said:

Thanks for sharing. One thing that stands out in my mind is how much children are like their grandparents. Or family traits that seem as though they are passed down. Identical twin studies show strong personality traits in those separated at birth. Including political bias.

Good point. I suppose many traits including personality are inherited genetically. Environment and preferences handed down by influence would also be factors. REligious beliefs would be powerful. Given all that, there is an amazing range of choice available.

• Dave_L

@GaoLu said:

@Dave_L said:

@GaoLu said:

Good point. I suppose many traits including personality are inherited genetically. Environment and preferences handed down by influence would also be factors. REligious beliefs would be powerful. Given all that, there is an amazing range of choice available.

Thanks for the reply. I believe God saves families. And we can see long histories of Christians in our family trees. Always with some exceptions. Some might think there is a genetic disposition that perceives Christ. But I think it is more a regeneration for the sakes of the fathers.

• GaoLu
    I don’t disagree with what you say and see those trends. My own family is entirely Christian ( even the loose cannons) presently and as far back as I recorded. There are a few very distant relatives with the right last name but unknown (to me) lineage that don’t appear to be Believers.

My question is if you have any basis other than observation for your belief.

I think it is at least proverbial true and rather interesting.
  • Dave_L

@GaoLu said:
    I don’t disagree with what you say and see those trends. My own family is entirely Christian ( even the loose cannons) presently and as far back as I recorded. There are a few very distant relatives with the right last name but unknown (to me) lineage that don’t appear to be Believers.

My question is if you have any basis other than observation for your belief.

I think it is at least proverbial true and rather interesting.

I think of the Ten Commandments where God visits wrath on the children of those who hate him to the second and third generation (ongoing if each generation incurs fresh guilt). A type of generational curse? But also showing mercy to thousands of them who love him.

In line with this Paul teaches about wives being sanctified by their believing husbands, and children too.

He also said: “...“Believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved, you and your household.”” (Acts 16:31)

Also Romans 11 where God grafts broken off Jews back into Israel through faith in Christ, for the father's sake.

I sometimes wonder if heaven would be heaven without some we cherish.

• GaoLu

Good points all around. Thanks.

• Dave_L

@GaoLu said:

I haven't come to a conclusion about this yet. But I notice Jesus made sure all whom he healed were atoned for by seeking out and challenging their faith. And when faith was there he sometimes healed their kin based on their faith. And in Greek, salvation and healing are the same. So I'm wondering if some who are married to unbelievers will not also see them in heaven too, since they are one flesh in God's sight. Like I said, I don't know where I stand on this but it does occur to me every so often.

• GaoLu

I think that is a stretch and doubt it strongly. On the other hand, my 84-year-old mother has been stewing about grace for months now and knows her Bible, knows God very well and prays like there was no tomorrow; and she is thinking that the grace of God might just cover some things that will surprise us all.

• Dave_L

@GaoLu said:
    I think that is a stretch and doubt it strongly. On the other hand, my 84-year-old mother has been stewing about grace for months now and knows her Bible, knows God very well and prays like there was no tomorrow; and she is thinking that the grace of God might just cover some things that will surprise us all.

Thanks, I agree with her.

• dct112685
    dct112685 Posts: 1,114

@Dave_L said:

@GaoLu said:

I haven't come to a conclusion about this yet. But I notice Jesus made sure all whom he healed were atoned for by seeking out and challenging their faith. And when faith was there he sometimes healed their kin based on their faith. And in Greek, salvation and healing are the same. So I'm wondering if some who are married to unbelievers will not also see them in heaven too, since they are one flesh in God's sight. Like I said, I don't know where I stand on this but it does occur to me every so often.

Absolutely not. You are not saved via your spouse. One flesh doesn't mean one soul. There is no room in Scripture for this and it shouldn't even be a debate.

• Dave_L

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@GaoLu said:

Absolutely not. You are not saved via your spouse. One flesh doesn't mean one soul. There is no room in Scripture for this and it shouldn't even be a debate.

What if God regenerates the spouse?

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@GaoLu said:

Dave, if the unbeliever believes then they are no longer an unbeliever. Every person must choose Christ and repent of their own sin or face Hell. It doesn't matter who you are related to, who you are married to.

Jesus said "No man comes to the Father but by me."

• Dave_L
    edited March 2018

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@GaoLu said:

Dave, if the unbeliever believes then they are no longer an unbeliever. Every person must choose Christ and repent of their own sin or face Hell. It doesn't matter who you are related to, who you are married to.

Jesus healed children based on their parent's faith. So why not regenerate (heal their spirit) based on their parent's faith? They still come to Christ in the end.

• GaoLu
    edited March 2018

If they come to Christ it's a moot point. Or rather, no point at all.

I think the more significant question, the one that has my attention is how families do tend to come to Christ even generationally. On the other hand, God has no grandchildren. He only has children. Each person is accountable to God alone regarding soul salvation.

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@GaoLu said:

Jesus healed children based on their parent's faith. So why not regenerate (heal their spirit) based on their parent's faith? They still come to Christ in the end.

Physical healing and spiritual salvation are two very different things. The Scriptures lay out how one must be saved. It is dangerous to even consider other possibilities.

• Dave_L
    edited March 2018

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@GaoLu said:

Physical healing and spiritual salvation are two very different things. The Scriptures lay out how one must be saved. It is dangerous to even consider other possibilities.

All healing, spiritual or physical depends on sins being atoned for by Christ. Which is easier to say, pick up your bed and walk, or your sins are forgiven you?

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@GaoLu said:

All healing, spiritual or physical depends on sins being atoned for by Christ. Which is easier to say, pick up your bed and walk, or your sins are forgiven you?

Um, that simply is not true. People have healing all the time and are not saved.

• Dave_L

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@GaoLu said:

Um, that simply is not true. People have healing all the time and are not saved.

I'm speaking of Divine or Faith healing.

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@GaoLu said:

And is there any Scripture to suggest that cannot happen to someone who is not saved? You are making up some pretty crazy theology here.

• Dave_L

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@GaoLu said:

And is there any Scripture to suggest that cannot happen to someone who is not saved? You are making up some pretty crazy theology here.

Remember the times Jesus could not do too many healings because of their unbelief?

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@GaoLu said:

Remember the times Jesus could not do too many healings because of their unbelief?

No. Reference?

• Dave_L

“And he did not do many miracles there because of their unbelief.” (Matthew 13:58)

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:
    “And he did not do many miracles there because of their unbelief.” (Matthew 13:58)

Ok that does not say he could not do it. There is a big difference there.

• Dave_L

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

If someone is not atoned for, God cannot justly save or heal them. If so, Christ died for nothing.

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

If someone is not atoned for, God cannot justly save or heal them. If so, Christ died for nothing.

That is a totally different subject and has nothing to do with physical healing or miracles.

• Dave_L

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

That is a totally different subject and has nothing to do with physical healing or miracles.

Not at all. Healing and salvation are the same word in Greek.

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

Not at all. Healing and salvation are the same word in Greek.

Dave that is just bad langauge work. Example:

I saw a bear.
    I can no longer bear it.

Same exact word, two different senses. Greek works the same way. The sense it is used and also context give the overall meaning, not the word itself.