Guns in The News: The Numbing of America

The Second Amendment is the way to go, so say gun lovers and homeowners.
We feel safer in our homes and don't care if an intruder comes;
We simply stand our ground with a .45 Magnum.
If the one who was shot, not truly set to harm, we join the other moaners.

On the road, we drive and enjoy the breeze;
but as soon as someone cuts us off, we become uneased.
Hand gestures, shouts, and blaring horns, we will have none;
We'll show who's boss, with one flash of the gun.

More guns, we cry, for marshalls on flights, shows, and county fairs;
Hunting, practicing, get in a few fights over beers and dares.
If I am injured in my affairs, my gun carrying son would set it right, as bagging bears.
Many would say prayers and share baby tears.

When I hear of gun fired, drive-bys at schools, theaters, malls or grassy knolls;
Not to bear arms is what I fear most;
I am sorry for the poor soul, but I don't want any gun control.
Reserving the Second Amendment is what's utmost.

When Americans hear of a gun shooting, far or near, on the news;
We wonder who was out of place or needed to be schooled.
We say words of care for hearts with grief succumbed;
In a day or so, there will be another one--bum, thrum, thrum, thrum. __by CM

Tagged:

Comments

• GaoLu
    GaoLu Posts: 1,368

Aside from 5th-grade poetry, I will take you seriously when you take abortion serious (you probably won't be trumpeting this nonsense then). Until then, the hypocrisy is overwhelming.

• C Mc
    C Mc Posts: 4,463

Weepy NRA: Thank God for New York State!

NRA says New York 'blacklisting campaign' is driving it out of business

Is the nation's biggest gun-rights group on the ropes?

by Jon Schuppe / Aug.03.2018 / 4:52 PM ET
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/nra-says-new-york-blacklisting-campaign-driving-it-out-business-n897521

The heart of the National Rifle Association’s mission is to block the government from taking people’s guns.

Now the Second Amendment advocacy group says the government is trying to put it out of business. The NRA said in a recent court filing that New York state’s campaign to push insurance companies and banks to cut ties with the organization had already cost it “tens of millions of dollars” this year and could ultimately make it “unable to exist as a not-for-profit or pursue its advocacy mission.”

Unless the courts step in and stop New York, “the NRA will suffer irrevocable loss and irreparable harm if it is unable to acquire insurance or other financial services,” the group said in a complaint submitted in federal court on July 20.

Even before the fight with New York, the NRA was struggling financially, reporting a $45 million budget deficit in 2016 tax documents.

And yet the NRA appears to remain at the peak of its powers, able to mobilize its millions of members to support state and federal political candidates who share its gun-rights agenda. It spent heavily on President Donald Trump’s 2016 campaign, and now has an avowed supporter in the White House.

But the NRA’s legal arguments make it appear that it is now at the edge of doom.

Its lawsuit accuses New York of a “blacklisting campaign” comprised of “selective prosecution, backroom exhortations, and public threats” that “will imminently deprive the NRA of basic bank-depository services, corporate insurance coverage, and other financial services essential to the NRA’s corporate existence and its advocacy mission.”

While the NRA and New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo have a long history of antagonism, the current dispute relates to a set of actions he began this spring that he invited other states to join on Saturday...

Back in April, Cuomo ordered the state Department of Financial Services, which regulates all banks and insurance companies doing business in New York, to urge those companies to reconsider its ties to the NRA. The DFS complied with an industry memo that cited a public and corporate backlash against the NRA following the Feb. 14 massacre at a high school in Parkland, Florida ─ essentially telling them to join the backlash.

God has a way of changing the tide in its own time. I am encouraged! CM

• reformed
    reformed Posts: 3,176

@C_M_ said:
    Weepy NRA: Thank God for New York State!

NRA says New York 'blacklisting campaign' is driving it out of business

Is the nation's biggest gun-rights group on the ropes?

by Jon Schuppe / Aug.03.2018 / 4:52 PM ET
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/nra-says-new-york-blacklisting-campaign-driving-it-out-business-n897521

The heart of the National Rifle Association’s mission is to block the government from taking people’s guns.

Now the Second Amendment advocacy group says the government is trying to put it out of business. The NRA said in a recent court filing that New York state’s campaign to push insurance companies and banks to cut ties with the organization had already cost it “tens of millions of dollars” this year and could ultimately make it “unable to exist as a not-for-profit or pursue its advocacy mission.”

Unless the courts step in and stop New York, “the NRA will suffer irrevocable loss and irreparable harm if it is unable to acquire insurance or other financial services,” the group said in a complaint submitted in federal court on July 20.

Even before the fight with New York, the NRA was struggling financially, reporting a $45 million budget deficit in 2016 tax documents.

And yet the NRA appears to remain at the peak of its powers, able to mobilize its millions of members to support state and federal political candidates who share its gun-rights agenda. It spent heavily on President Donald Trump’s 2016 campaign, and now has an avowed supporter in the White House.

But the NRA’s legal arguments make it appear that it is now at the edge of doom.

Its lawsuit accuses New York of a “blacklisting campaign” comprised of “selective prosecution, backroom exhortations, and public threats” that “will imminently deprive the NRA of basic bank-depository services, corporate insurance coverage, and other financial services essential to the NRA’s corporate existence and its advocacy mission.”

While the NRA and New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo have a long history of antagonism, the current dispute relates to a set of actions he began this spring that he invited other states to join on Saturday...

Back in April, Cuomo ordered the state Department of Financial Services, which regulates all banks and insurance companies doing business in New York, to urge those companies to reconsider its ties to the NRA. The DFS complied with an industry memo that cited a public and corporate backlash against the NRA following the Feb. 14 massacre at a high school in Parkland, Florida ─ essentially telling them to join the backlash.

God has a way of changing the tide in its own time. I am encouraged! CM

sigh liberals are super-idiots.

• C Mc

@reformed said:

It takes one to know one. I don't know any. CM

• GaoLu

Of course not. How could you?

• C Mc

What do know is that the NRA is going own! :D CM

• Bill_Coley
    Bill_Coley Posts: 2,675

@reformed said:

I remember that back in my college days, as I read the prospectus before deciding to invest in liberalism I felt uncertain about the purchase because the political philosophy promised ONLY conventional idiocy. I believed - perhaps naively - that liberalism offered a deeper, richer, more refined version of idiocy than that, so I committed myself to its pursuit as long as perceptive online forum posters called us "idiots." Your post's reference to "super-idiots," reformed, reports the satisfying conclusion of my pursuit (not to mention the devolution of a political movement). Thank you.

I just wish there were super-conservatives.

• GaoLu

Mission achieved.

• reformed

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said:

It takes one to know one. I don't know any. CM

HAHAHAHAHAHA you ARE one.

@Bill_Coley said:

@reformed said:

I remember that back in my college days, as I read the prospectus before deciding to invest in liberalism I felt uncertain about the purchase because the political philosophy promised ONLY conventional idiocy. I believed - perhaps naively - that liberalism offered a deeper, richer, more refined version of idiocy than that, so I committed myself to its pursuit as long as perceptive online forum posters called us "idiots." Your post's reference to "super-idiots," reformed, reports the satisfying conclusion of my pursuit (not to mention the devolution of a political movement). Thank you.

I just wish there were super-conservatives.

Oh trust me, you are living proof of liberal idiocy.

• C Mc
    edited August 2018

THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT "conventional idiocy, "super-idiots," liberalism, or "super-conservatives", but about GUNS AND THE FEAR OF THE NRA. Some of the characteristics may be found among gun owners, but again, it's not the main topic. Let's not name call ourselves into meaninglessness. "Let's keep the main thing, the main thing."

A warning to potential shooters: These schools are armed

Lori Higgins, Detroit Free Press Published 6:00 a.m. ET March 9, 2018 | Updated 7:34 p.m. ET March 9, 2018

Loaded Glock 19 guns are kept secured in safes that are hidden throughout the school buildings in Sidney City Schools in Ohio. Staff who are trained to be first responders can use the guns to respond in an active shooter situation (Photo: John Scheu)

It's no secret that guns exist in Ohio's Sidney City Schools. All you have to do is read the signs prominently displayed outside.

"Inside this building our children are protected by an armed and trained response team," says one sign that serves as a warning to visitors.

Here, in this district just a few dozen miles north of Dayton, loaded Glock 19s are strategically hidden in school buildings, tucked inside biometric safes that can only be opened with a thumbprint — ready for trained staff to use if the unthinkable happens.

For Hailey New, a sophomore at Sidney High School, knowing the guns exist provides comfort at a time when the idea of a school shooting seems "always a possibility."

"I don't have to worry about waiting for the police or the SWAT team to get there," the 16-year-old said. "There's a teacher there ... to help me."

As the debate over arming school personnel rages throughout the U.S. — a response to the Feb. 14 school shootings in Parkland, Fla., that left 17 students and adults dead —attention is turning to schools like the ones in Sidney, Ohio, and elsewhere that already allow guns to be on the premises in some form. President Donald Trump waded into the debate in the days after the Florida shooting when he said teachers should be armed.

In Michigan, the idea of arming teachers has bred controversy, with some school leaders, such as Detroit Superintendent Nikolai Vitti, being vocally opposed. At the same time, two state lawmakers are drafting legislation that would make it a reality. They'll meet resistance from the state's largest teacher's union.

"More guns in schools is not a solution for keeping students and staff safe," said Doug Pratt, spokesman for the Michigan Education Association. "There's too many different scenarios where this can go horribly wrong."

THIS IS WHY GUNS SHOULD NOT BE IN SCHOOLS! CM

Across the U.S., there already are a wide variety of state policies surrounding the presence of guns in schools. A Feb. 26 report from the Denver-based Education Commission of the States noted that in its review of state policies, it didn't find any states with a blanket provision allowing teachers to carry weapons. But here's what it did find:

In South Dakota, the law allows school boards to permit employees to be armed as "school sentinels" to defend schools and their staffs should a violent threat emerge.
    In Texas, some school employees can be designated as "school marshals" whose "sole purpose ... is to prevent the act of murder or serious bodily injury on school premises," according to the website of the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement. The marshals — who must undergo a psychological exam to be considered for the job — receive 80 hours of training in active shooter response, weapons proficiency, use of force and physical security.

Utah allows anyone with a concealed carry permit to carry a gun in a school if approved by a school administrator.

Ohio law allows anyone "who has written authorization from the board of education or governing body of a school" to carry a weapon in school.
    And in Florida within the last week, the state legislature passed sweeping legislation that in part would allow some teachers and other school employees to be armed. Gov. Rick Scott signed the legislation Friday.

The Sidney City district is among seven in Shelby County, Ohio, that beefed up security after the 2012 shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut — urged by a proactive county sheriff who wanted to ensure the schools in his communities are properly protected...

What have we come too? Our schools have become a battlefield. Who gets to the gun first, determines who lives. Please, parents reconsider homeschooling, please! It's no longer safe for your children to be in some public schools. CM

• GaoLu

There are far worse reasons not to send your kids to public schools.

• reformed

@C_M_ said:
    THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT "conventional idiocy, "super-idiots," liberalism, or "super-conservatives", but about GUNS AND THE FEAR OF THE NRA. Some of the characteristics may be found among gun owners, but again, it's not the main topic. Let's not name call ourselves into meaninglessness. "Let's keep the main thing, the main thing."

A warning to potential shooters: These schools are armed

Lori Higgins, Detroit Free Press Published 6:00 a.m. ET March 9, 2018 | Updated 7:34 p.m. ET March 9, 2018

Loaded Glock 19 guns are kept secured in safes that are hidden throughout the school buildings in Sidney City Schools in Ohio. Staff who are trained to be first responders can use the guns to respond in an active shooter situation (Photo: John Scheu)

It's no secret that guns exist in Ohio's Sidney City Schools. All you have to do is read the signs prominently displayed outside.

"Inside this building our children are protected by an armed and trained response team," says one sign that serves as a warning to visitors.

Here, in this district just a few dozen miles north of Dayton, loaded Glock 19s are strategically hidden in school buildings, tucked inside biometric safes that can only be opened with a thumbprint — ready for trained staff to use if the unthinkable happens.

For Hailey New, a sophomore at Sidney High School, knowing the guns exist provides comfort at a time when the idea of a school shooting seems "always a possibility."

"I don't have to worry about waiting for the police or the SWAT team to get there," the 16-year-old said. "There's a teacher there ... to help me."

As the debate over arming school personnel rages throughout the U.S. — a response to the Feb. 14 school shootings in Parkland, Fla., that left 17 students and adults dead —attention is turning to schools like the ones in Sidney, Ohio, and elsewhere that already allow guns to be on the premises in some form. President Donald Trump waded into the debate in the days after the Florida shooting when he said teachers should be armed.

In Michigan, the idea of arming teachers has bred controversy, with some school leaders, such as Detroit Superintendent Nikolai Vitti, being vocally opposed. At the same time, two state lawmakers are drafting legislation that would make it a reality. They'll meet resistance from the state's largest teacher's union.

"More guns in schools is not a solution for keeping students and staff safe," said Doug Pratt, spokesman for the Michigan Education Association. "There's too many different scenarios where this can go horribly wrong."

THIS IS WHY GUNS SHOULD NOT BE IN SCHOOLS! CM

Across the U.S., there already are a wide variety of state policies surrounding the presence of guns in schools. A Feb. 26 report from the Denver-based Education Commission of the States noted that in its review of state policies, it didn't find any states with a blanket provision allowing teachers to carry weapons. But here's what it did find:

In South Dakota, the law allows school boards to permit employees to be armed as "school sentinels" to defend schools and their staffs should a violent threat emerge.
    In Texas, some school employees can be designated as "school marshals" whose "sole purpose ... is to prevent the act of murder or serious bodily injury on school premises," according to the website of the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement. The marshals — who must undergo a psychological exam to be considered for the job — receive 80 hours of training in active shooter response, weapons proficiency, use of force and physical security.

Utah allows anyone with a concealed carry permit to carry a gun in a school if approved by a school administrator.

Ohio law allows anyone "who has written authorization from the board of education or governing body of a school" to carry a weapon in school.
    And in Florida within the last week, the state legislature passed sweeping legislation that in part would allow some teachers and other school employees to be armed. Gov. Rick Scott signed the legislation Friday.

The Sidney City district is among seven in Shelby County, Ohio, that beefed up security after the 2012 shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut — urged by a proactive county sheriff who wanted to ensure the schools in his communities are properly protected...

What have we come too? Our schools have become a battlefield. Who gets to the gun first, determines who lives. Please, parents reconsider homeschooling, please! It's no longer safe for your children to be in some public schools. CM

Right, because school shootings happen every day. You are more likely to die in a car wreck.