OT feasts in the OT Law ... to still be kept today?

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited September 2021 in Bible Questions

In light of the teaching in Hebrews (e.g. Heb 8:25 or Heb 10:1) as well as teaching in Pauline epistles (cp Gal), I would like some input on practice and teaching of some groups who teach more or less extensively that Christians today should be keeping the various OT feasts in some kind of remembrance and consideration of the Jewish roots of Christendom.

Asking a bit bluntly: Are Christians in New Covenant age still under the Old Covenant instructions? What about keeping those feasts? Also, are those folks even keeping the feasts, seeing that they do not travel to Jerusalem and that there is no temple there where to keep various prescribed rituals?

Comments

• Are Christians in New Covenant age still under the Old Covenant instructions?

No. They can if they want, but don't have to.

What about keeping those feasts?

They can if they want, but don't have to.

Also, are those folks even keeping the feasts, seeing that they do not travel to Jerusalem and that there is no temple there where to keep various prescribed rituals?

Yes. In their own way.

• C Mc
    C Mc Posts: 4,463

What are the major feast days in the Bible? What were their original purposes? Identifying the OT feast days will give us an indication that it is necessary today.

What is the Old Covenant? And, What is the New Covenant? Defining the two covenants is the first step to answer the OP intelligently. What do you say? CM

• Ugh. Do you have a standard Bible dictionary?

• C Mc
    C Mc Posts: 4,463

My Friend,

This is beside the point. We have Bibles too. We can get off on the most nebulous points or terms with a cursory reading of the threads. There needs to be a clear understanding and mutual acceptance of terms and context. Why do you have something against this? Given, I assume, you have "a standard Bible dictionary," it's all the most state or quotes your understanding in the post and go from there.

Let's be mindful every silent reader or participant in these forums is not as informed, perhaps, as you are. Be considerate of others. Is this asking too much? CM

PS. We may be a small group of participants, but the readership exceeds our numbers here. Understand?

• Some things are so fundamental that we don't really need to redefine them forever, don't you think? I propose we have conversation and not second guess who may or may not be reading the forums. Speaking into the ether of possibilities is absurd.

I suspect the audience here knows the feasts and covenants. If not, such information is extremely fundamental and readily available. I don't want to rehash such things, personally. If you want to, have at it.