Prophecy by prophet ... can there be "double fulfillments" ???

Quite often I've heard people speak about "double fulfillments" of prophecy given by a prophet .... BUT these folks seem to disregard what is stated in Deu 18.

Deu 18:20-22 (KJV)

20 But the prophet, which shall presume to speak a word in my name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or that shall speak in the name of other gods, even that prophet shall die. 21 And if thou say in thine heart, How shall we know the word which the LORD hath not spoken? 22 When a prophet speaketh in the name of the LORD, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the LORD hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him.

If there were a multiple fulfillments, in a sense it would be the same as no fulfillment because there would be no definite way if a prophets' words have really come to pass. If they have come to pass, how can they come to pass another time, especially since the prophet mentioned nothing about two or more fulfillments??

Comments

• Another recently started thread on biblical matters which also seems of no real interest ...

• C Mc
    C Mc Posts: 4,463

Wolfgang said:

Not so, for starters, let's clarify what is prophecy, its nature, and its purpose. Biblical prophecy is threefold: 

1. Explains the PAST
    2. Counsels for the PRESENT
    3. Foretells the FUTURE.

The purpose of prophecy is to reform not simply to inform. then we can see every prophetic “restoration” picture as establishing the principle of restoration. The details will differ according to the differing needs of each audience. The great restoration pictures of Scripture, Ezekiel 40-48Isaiah 65-66Zechariah 14Revelation 21-22, all confirm the hope of restoration, yet the details differ, sometimes dramatically. Recognizing the principle of conditionality explains why some were not fulfilled in the Old Testament.

Types of prophecies:

• Classical prophecies
    • Apocalyptic (Literature) Prophecy
    • Predictive Prophecy 
    • “Restoration” Prophecy
    • Symbolic Prophecy

Classical prophecies are conditioned on the human response to a divine invitation, apocalyptical prophecies are not.

Predictive prophecy is

a declaration of the divine purpose and its fulfillment in history is conditional upon the response of those to whom it is addressed, non-fulfillment within the original historical context makes these predictions subject to reinterpretation by later inspired writers.” 

The real purpose of condi­tional prophecy is not to provide information about the future. It is intended to evoke a positive responseof the people to God in the present. This prophecy may require a separate thread.

Let's be mindful that a prophet is a "mouthpiece" or "one who speaks for God." What he or she says, can be classified as one of the prophetic types mentioned above such as "classical" (e.g., Hosea 3:4, 5; Amos 8:11; Zechariah 9:1; and Zech 14:4and "apocalyptic" prophecy (e.g., Daniel and Revelation). They show: 

1.     First, God uses a variety of approaches to communicate prophetic truth (Heb. 1:1). 

2.     Secondly, it helps one to better appreciate the beauty and complexity of the Bible. 

3.     Thirdly, it helps us interpret biblical prophecies consistent with the testimony of the entire Bible and rightly explains "the word of truth" (2 Tim. 2:15). 

In Classical Prophecy, God is acting within history to restore the world according to the geographic and ethnic framework of the covenant established with Israel. 

• Has a limited amount of symbolism
    • The prophet receives "the Word of the Lord" (which can include visions).
    • The fulfillment is often dependent on the human response in God's covenant with Israel. 

In Apocalyptic (e.g., the books of Daniel and Revelation), primary purposes are:

1. To deal with God's sovereignty in history and His broad, historical plan for the redemption of His covenant people and final judgment on their enemies. 
    2. Vast sweep and emphasis on the end time, among other things. This means we can see the broad outlines of history. All history is moving toward this end and should be seen from this perspective. 
    3. The symbolism is extensive and composite, challenging us to understand it at a symbolic level. 
    4. It has both a theological and an urging purpose to the book. The appeal is very personal. 
    5. It's unconditional. It may have multiple spiritual or homiletic applications, but it points to a single prophetic fulfillment

Apocalyptic prophecy is highly symbolic and should be interpreted accordingly. In interpreting symbols, the following methods may be used:

• Look for interpretations (explicit or implicit) within the passage itself (for example, Dan. 8:20, 21; Rev. 1:20).
    • Look for interpretations elsewhere in the book or in other writings by the same author.
    • Use a concordance, study the use of symbols in other parts of Scripture.
    • A study of ancient Near Eastern documents may throw light on the meaning of symbols, although scriptural use may alter those meanings.

2 Peter 1:19-21:

All prophecies are of God (This means the prophet does not injects his own interpretation. A closer look at this verse, it's clear:

• Verse 19 -- underscores the trustworthiness of Scripture: it is “the prophetic word made more sure.” 
    • In verse 20, says why this is so? Because the prophecy is not a matter of the prophet’s own interpretation; that is, the prophet does not intrude with his own interpretation.
    • Verse 21, elaborates on this point: prophecy does not come by the "thelema"—the initiative, the impulse, the will—of the human agents; the prophets are not communicating on their own. Rather, the Bible writers were prophets who spoke as they were moved, carried along, even driven by the Holy Spirit.

I can't stress enough:

• The Bible is truly inspired by God (2 Timothy 3:16-17; 2 Peter 1:19-21).
    • Besides this fact, sometimes the writers themselves did not fully understand the visions they were given (e.g. Daniel 8:27; 12:4, 8-9). It's only after a prophecy is fulfilled, a clear understanding of the prophecy itself (John 13:19; 14:29; Luke 21:31) is made plain.

Keep studying. CM

• @C Mc , after all that information in your post , how does that relate to or answer to my original post's point and question, which was:

Deu 18:20-22 (KJV)

20 But the prophet, which shall presume to speak a word in my name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or that shall speak in the name of other gods, even that prophet shall die. 21 And if thou say in thine heart, How shall we know the word which the LORD hath not spoken? 22 When a prophet speaketh in the name of the LORD, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the LORD hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him.

which scripture I then followed up with:

If there were a multiple fulfillments, in a sense it would be the same as no fulfillment because there would be no definite way if a prophets' words have really come to pass. If they have come to pass, how can they come to pass another time, especially since the prophet mentioned nothing about two or more fulfillments??

What in your bountiful information actually addresses my question and concern?

• C Mc
    C Mc Posts: 4,463

@Wolfgang said:

What in your bountiful information actually addresses my question and concern?

Wolfgang,

1. Re-read my post.
    2. Background information to the prophet, prophecy, types, purpose local or long-range views should have spoken to your heart.
    3. Some prophets didn't understand the message he was given.
    4. All prophecy points and necessary pin-points. Prophecy is to reform not just to inform. e.g. Jonah, etc.

Come on Wolfgang, be reasonable. You're an intelligent man. You are far beyond a concrete-thinker of a child. Let truth permeate your soul. CM