Who is Michael in the Book of Daniel?

C Mc
C Mc Posts: 4,463

The name Michael, what does it means or designates? Is Michael a man, an angel or what? Let's keep in mind the Book of Daniel is a prophetic book (written in the 6th Century B. C.) with correlation to the Book of Revelation (prophetic in nature). What importance does this figure have to do with the Last Book of the Bible (Rev) and today's Christians? CM

Comments

• reformed
    reformed Posts: 3,176

@C_M_ said:
    The name Michael, what does it means or designates? Is Michael a man, an angel or what? Let's keep in mind the Book of Daniel is a prophetic book (written in the 6th Century B. C.) with correlation to the Book of Revelation (prophetic in nature). What importance does this figure have to do with the Last Book of the Bible (Rev) and today's Christians? CM

He is an Archangel.

• theMadJW
    theMadJW Posts: 168

What name did Jesus have before being GIVEN the name "Jesus" when he came to earth?

To understand this issue, one must understand what an angel is in the FIRST place!

Angel in Hebrew means simply "Messenger"- thus the elders of the congregations addressed in Revelation (Chapter 2) are referred to as- you guessed it- angels!

Jesus was himself an ANGEL - the greatest messenger (angel) of all time! 

Mal 3:1- "Behold, I send my messenger to prepare the way before me, and Jehovah whom you seek will suddenly come to his temple; the ANGEL of the covenant in whom you delight, behold, he is coming, says Jehovah of hosts. 2- But who can endure the day of his coming, and who can stand when he appears?"

Michael is described with the authority that only Christ is shown  to have. The confrontation with Satan over Moses body (Jude 9)  was long before Jesus was given the HIGHEST authority of his  Father (after his death & resurrection)- AND before the Son of God  was GIVEN the name "JESUS"!

Daniel 12:1- refers to Michael standing up for God's people at  the time of the end during the Great Tribulation, as Christ later REVEALED HE HIMSELF WOULD DO! "Jesus the Son of  God" WAS COMPLETELY UNKNOWN TO GOD'S PEOPLE (Israel) at that time.

Then comes the further revelations thru the inspired Christian records: 

Paul at 1 Thess 4:16 tell us Christ acts with the voice (authority) OF THE ARCHANGEL- and he's LEADING an army of angels   (2 Thess1:9)! That authority wasn't given to him by an archangel! That authority was straight from God Himself- the authority/ voice of the Angels' Leader was Christ- he IS the Archangel. Finally, 

The name! Michael means, in Hebrew, "Who Is Like God?" Even  tho men on Earth have been given that name- ONLY ONE PERSON ANYWHERE is TRULY LIKE God...Guess who?! Bingo! 

JESUS is the ONLY one!!! You know the scriptures! 

God inspired John to refer to Jesus by his original name, Michael, in Revelation to verify that Daniel's prophecy of Michael protecting God's people- would still take place!

Jesus is indisputably the one who leads God's angels at this time (Last Days)- and that is what the title "Archangel" means!

• The name! Michael means, in Hebrew, "Who Is Like God?" Even  tho men on Earth have been given that name- ONLY ONE PERSON ANYWHERE is TRULY LIKE God...Guess who?! Bingo! 

Indeed, the meaning of the name "Michael" means "Who is like God?" ... the answer to this rhetorical question and what is thus conveyed by that name is "NO ONE is like God!"

Jesus himself made clear plenty of times that he did not regard himself to be like God, rather always made a clear distinction between himself and God.

JESUS is the ONLY one!!! You know the scriptures!

Do YOU really know the Scriptures? Jesus taught that God is GREATER than he was, Jesus taught that God IS SPIRIT which he was not, etc. etc.

• theMadJW

Part of the Truth, with the rest ignorance...

• Brother Rando
    Brother Rando Posts: 1,300

"During that time {Jesus Christ} will stand up, the Great Prince who is standing in behalf of your people. And there will occur a time of distress such as has not occurred since there came to be a nation until that time. And during that time your people will escape, everyone who is found written down in the book." (Daniel 12:1)

Thankful for Google transliterates יהוה in English as Jehovah. Visit JW.org about whom Jesus Christ calls the Only True God in (John 17:3)

• theMadJW

As Christ in the Great Tribulation!

• C Mc

Revelation 12:7, 9 -- “And war broke out in heaven: Michael and his angels fought with the dragon, and the dragon and his angels fought...So the great dragon was cast out, that serpent of old called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was cast to the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.” Revelation 12:7, 9. NKJV.

Michael
    The Bible mentions Michael (his name means “Who is like God?”) in five passages:
    1. In Dan 10:13, Michael is presented as one of the chief princes.
    2. In Dan 10:21, Michael is the only one who is able to help Gabriel in his battle over the minds of the Persian leaders. He is also portrayed as the Prince of God’s people.
    3. Dan 12:1, depicts Michael as the One who stands for His people, i.e., he is their intercessor, protector, and help in the time of trouble. He is pictured as the great Prince.
    4. According to Jude 1:9, Michael has authority to resurrect Moses and is characterized as an archangel.
    5. In Rev 12:7, Michael is the leader of the heavenly army and defeats Satan and his fallen angels. His victory is described in a colorful manner. When the above texts are connected with 1 Thess 4:16–18 and John 5:26–29, it becomes evident that Michael’s voice is the voice of the archangel, and this is the voice of Jesus at the resurrection day. On the basis of his role, authority, position, and mission one may conclude that Michael is Christ.

For starters, consider the biblical account. CM

• theMadJW

And consider Jesus is an ANGEL (Messenger of God)~

Mal 3:1- "Behold, I send my messenger to prepare the way before me, and Jehovah whom you seek will suddenly come to his temple; the ANGEL of the covenant in whom you delight, behold, he is coming, says Jehovah of hosts. 2- But who can endure the day of his coming, and who can stand when he appears?"

1 Thess 4:16-For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. -KJV

• C Mc

@theMadJW

And consider Jesus is an ANGEL (Messenger of God)~

Not so fast. Let's continue mining the text.

In Daniel, two of the angelic beings have names. This is the only book in the Hebrew Bible in which this is so.
    1. Gabriel (גבריאל)
    2. Michael (מיכאל) are both named in the book of Daniel (Dan 8:16, 9:21, 10:13, 10:21, 12:1). Though they are not actually called “angels” in the text. On the identification of a “man” as an angel, you may want to consider the following:

• Sullivan, Kevin P. Wrestling with Angels: A Study of the Relationship between Angels and Humans in Ancient Jewish Literature and the New Testament., 2004, pp 37-85.
    • Schöpflin, Karin. “YHWH's Agents of Doom. The Punishing Function of Angels in Post- Exilic Writings of the Old Testament.” Pages 125-137 in Angels: The Concept of Celestial Beings-Origins, Development and Reception. Edited by Friedrich V. Reiterer, Tobias Nicklas, and Karin Schöpflin. Deuterocanonical and Cognate Literature Yearbook. Berlin: de Gruyter, 2007, pp 125-126.

In addition, please note the names Gabriel (גבריאל) and Michael appear again later in the NT (Luke 1:19, 26; Jude 9; Rev 12:7). as well as in extra-biblical literature:

• In 1 En. alone we find numerous occurences: 1 En. 9:1, 10:9, 10:11, 20:5, 20:7, 24:6, 40:9, 54:6, .71:13 ,71:8-9 ,71:3 ,69:14-15 ,68:2-4 ,67:12 ,60:4-5

Michael is said to be opposing the Prince of Persia (שׂר מלכות פּרס) in Dan 10:13, which is similar to his role of opposing the devil in the NT (Jude 9, Rev 12:7). Within the Book of Daniel, there is also an indication of a type of hierarchy within the celestial sphere. There is a mention of שׂר־הצבא, “the Prince of the Host” (Dan 8:11), [“prince of princes” in Dan 8:25].

Michael is described variously as one of the chief princes” (or “the first of the chief princes,” [אחד for the ordinal number “first.”] Dan“ אחד השׂרים הראשׁנים .)12:1 the great prince” (Dan“ ,השׂר הגדול your prince” (Dan 10:21), and“ ,שׂרכם , )10:13 While these descriptions of Michael are new to the Hebrew Bible, the terminology “Prince of the Host” is not. This title is used in Josh 5 by a mysterious being who is called שׂר־צבא יהוה, “Prince of the Host of YHWH” (Josh 5:14), thus implying that these beings in Joshua and Daniel are one and the same (Daniel 8:11 and 10:5).

More on Michael later. CM

SOURCES:

• John J. Collins, “The Mythology of Holy War in Daniel and the Qumran War Scroll: A Point of Transition in Jewish Apocalyptic,” VT 25.3 (1975): 601 n. 20
      *Aleksander R. Michalak, Angels as Warriors in Late Second Temple Jewish Literature, p 43.

• Benedikt Otzen, “Michael and Gabriel. Angelological Problems in the Book of Daniel,” in The Scriptures and the Scrolls: Studies in Honour of A. S. Van Der Woude on the Occasion of His 65th Birthday, eds. F. García Martínez, A Hilhorst, and C. J. Labuschagne, Supplements to Vetus Testamentum 49 (VTSup) (Leiden: Brill, 1992), 120-121.

• Brother Rando

C Mc writes: "Michael is said to be opposing the Prince of Persia (שׂר מלכות פּרס) in Dan 10:13, which is similar to his role of opposing the devil in the NT (Jude 9Rev 12:7). Within the Book of Daniel, there is also an indication of a type of hierarchy within the celestial sphere. There is a mention of שׂר־הצבא, “the Prince of the Host” (Dan 8:11), [“prince of princes” in Dan 8:25].

Michael is described variously as one of the chief princes” (or “the first of the chief princes,” [אחד for the ordinal number “first.”] Dan“ אחד השׂרים הראשׁנים .)12:1 the great prince” (Dan“ ,השׂר הגדול your prince” (Dan 10:21), and“ ,שׂרכם , )10:13 While these descriptions of Michael are new to the Hebrew Bible, the terminology “Prince of the Host” is not. This title is used in Josh 5 by a mysterious being who is called שׂר־צבא יהוה, “Prince of the Host of YHWH” (Josh 5:14), thus implying that these beings in Joshua and Daniel are one and the same (Daniel 8:11 and 10:5)."

================================================================================================================

"During that time {Jesus Christ} will stand up, the Great Prince who is standing in behalf of your people. And there will occur a time of distress such as has not occurred since there came to be a nation until that time. And during that time your people will escape, everyone who is found written down in the book. And many of those asleep in the dust of the earth will wake up, some to everlasting life and others to reproach and to everlasting contempt." (Daniel 12:1-2)

Thankful for Google transliterates יהוה in English as Jehovah. Visit JW.org about whom Jesus Christ calls the Only True God in (John 17:3)

• C Mc
    edited June 2021

@BroRando,

I agree, according to chapter 12, Michael stands up at the end of time, and God's people will be delivered as Christ's everlasting kingdom is established. “Michael the archangel”:

• Portrayed as opposing the devil (Jude 9; Rev 12:7-9).
    • Opposing the “Prince of Persia” (שׂר מלכות פּרס) in Daniel 10:13.
    • The term ὁ ἀρχάγγελος “the archangel,” (Jude 9) is a reference to Michael’s title the first of the chief princes,” אחד השׂרים הראשׁנים Dan 10:13 and recall the terminology שׂר־צבא יהוה, “Prince of the Host of YHWH” (Josh 5:14).
    • 2 Pet. 2:4; Jude 6 -- Angels sinned who follow Satan.
    • Luke 10:18; Rev. 12:4 -- Jesus saw Satan fall from heaven.
    • Rev. 12:4 -- 1/3 of the angels in heaven followed Satan in rebellion.    

Dan 12:1-7 exercised a strong influence on the eschatology of Jesus. Not only is

Dan 12:1 -- the source for the unprecedented tribulation of Mark 13:19/Matt 24:21, but 12:2 is the source for Jesus’ description of the resurrection in John 5:28-29;

Dan 12:3 -- is the source for Matt 13:43, "Then the righteous will shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father".

Dan 12:7, "When the power of the holy people has been finally broken, all these things will be completed, " is a source for both Mark 13:4 and Mark 13:30b/Matt 24:34b.

Dan 12:13, like 12:2 -- indicates that the resurrection will occur "at the end of the days"—i.e., the days of persecution that begin when the daily sacrifice is abolished (12:11).

Archangel

This term is made up of two Greek words Archos + Angelos which means Ruler of the Angels. Therefore, Michael is the Ruler of the Angels

The Hebrew word Michael is composed of three words: 

MI = "Who"

CHA = "As"

EL = "God"

Literally, it means "Who is like God" or "Who is as God". 

The very name Michael draws attention to His equality with God

Since Michael is the Old Testament name for Jesus Christ, that means that Michael is not a created being. He is the eternal Son of God. If God disguised Himself among the angels in the way He disguised Himself among humans, it may explain why Satan thought he could become God. 

But you, Bethlehem Ephratah, though you are little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of you shall He come out to me, to be ruler in Israel; whose going out have been from of old, from everlasting. (Micah 5: 2

Jesus Christ = The Prince = Eternal God = Michael = The Archangel (Ruler of the Angels) 

The key point is that Jesus was active in the Old Testament times with His people as He is in New Testament times. 

Keep studying! CM

SOURCE:

• Michalak, Angels as Warriors in Late Second Temple Jewish Literature, 43.
  • Brother Rando

C Mc writes: Literally, it means "Who is like God" or "Who is as God". 

The very name Michael draws attention to His equality with God

===============================================================================================================

Well, he was Begotten by Jehovah who Always existed before the Son came to "to be" (eimi) so the Son came into existence.

• C Mc

@BroRando said:

"he was Begotten by Jehovah who Always existed before the Son came to "to be" (eimi) so the Son came into existence."

What do you mean by your statement above? Please explain.

Jesus was "Begotten"? Please explain. What do you mean by "Begotten"?

• Are saying there was a time when Jesus, the Christ, was NOT?
    • Are you saying Jesus, the Christ, was created?

Please explain... CM

• Brother Rando

Jesus Christ's words were written down for all to see at (John 3:16) If you would like to read about Christ's Pre- human existence. Read Proverbs Chatter 8.

• Brother Rando

Awesome..... there are many things I desire to share with you. I'll name just a few since my comments are in agreement with some of your statements about Michael. Many things you say are in the meaning of Beginning. John 1:1 is speaking about the starting point. A time earlier than the earth. Begotten means "brought forth". It's an action not needed for something or someone who already existed.

Look and See and gain understanding.

Wisdom at Creation

22 "Yahweh possessed me, [the] first of his ways, before his acts {of old}23 From eternity, I was set up from [the] first, from the beginning of the earth.  24 When there were no depths, I was brought forth, when there were no springs of {abounding} water.  25 Before mountains had been shaped, before hills, I was brought forth.  26 When HE had not yet made earth and fields, or the first dust of the world,  27 {when he established} the heavens, there I [was], {when he drew} a circle upon the face of the deep,  28 {when he made} skies from above, when he founded fountains of the deep,  29 {when he assigned} his limits to the sea, that waters shall not transgress his {command}, {when he marked} the foundations of the earth,  30 I was {beside} him, a master workman, and I was delighting day by day, rejoicing before him {always},  31 rejoicing in the world of HIS earth, and my delight [was] with the children of humankind. (Proverbs 8:22-30) https://www.biblestudytools.com/leb/proverbs/8.html

Now because you are willing....

Strong's Concordance

arché: beginning, origin

Original Word: ἀρχή, ῆς, ἡ

Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine

Transliteration: arché

Phonetic Spelling: (ar-khay')

Definition: beginning, origin

Usage: (a) rule (kingly or magisterial), (b) plur: in a quasi-personal sense, almost: rulers, magistrates, (c) beginning.

HELPS Word-studies

746 arxḗ – properly, from the beginning (temporal sense), i.e. "the initial (starting) point"; (figuratively) what comes first and therefore is chief  (foremost), i.e. has the priority because ahead of the rest ("preeminent").

The Word of God is the Arché Aggelos from eternity or you can also say from the beginning, the starting point and is preeminent.

• Prov 8 is about God's wisdom, NOT about "a begotten god" floating around somewhere. Simple and plain truth.

• Brother Rando
    edited June 2021

• Bill_Coley
    Bill_Coley Posts: 2,675

@BroRando posted:

Christ is the Wisdom of God (1 Corinthians 1:24)

In a post created on May 30, I engaged what was then your new contention of a connection between Proverbs 8 and Paul's assertion about Christ in 1 Corinthians 1. At the end of that May 30 post I asked you two questions:

1. On what basis do you have confidence that by his use of the female term "חָכְמָה," the author of Proverbs 8 intends to refer to a male (or female, for that matter) human being?
    2. On what basis do you have confidence that Paul is referencing wisdom as described in Proverbs 8 when he asserts that Jesus "became wisdom from God" to us (1 Cor 1.30, ESV)?

You did not respond to my questions, so I re-posed them to you in THIS POST and then THIS POST.

When you didn't respond to either of those appearances of the questions, @Keep_Smiling_4_Jesus reminded you of them in THIS POST and then THIS POST.

You did not respond.

I then offered you the sixth presentation of those two questions in THIS POST.

In response, you asserted that you had already answered my questions, which prompted me to ask for links to the specific posts in which you had done so.

You did not respond.

Those two questions made their seventh - and most recent - appearance in THIS POST of mine on June 1.

In response, and apparently, at least in part because I had informed you that I was not a Trinitarian, in THIS POST you declared your willingness to "circle back" to my questions.

I'm still waiting... as I am still waiting for your direct response to the questions I first posed to you in THIS POST about your contention, in THIS POST, that Jesus is the angel referenced in Acts 27.23, questions that I have also have posed to you multiple times (at least four).

• Brother Rando
    edited June 2021

C Mc writes: Literally, it means "Who is like God" or "Who is as God". 

The very name Michael draws attention to His equality with God

===============================================================================================================

Well, he was Begotten by Jehovah who Always existed before the Son came "to be" (eimi) so the Son came into existence.

There are two Names that have the (?) in their meanings. It is a statement in the form of a question.

-- Michael "Who is Like God?

-- Immanuel "With us is God?"

So the truth of the matter is Isaiah 9:6 is speaking about Michael, the one who is coming into the world and was given the Name (Jesus). (Philippians 2:6-11)

John 1;1 is speaking about this person when it states, "In the Beginning was the Word" The Word defends Jehovah's Sovereignty and asks to be glorified and announces in public prayer to the Father that you are the only true God in (John 17:-3)

• Brother Rando
    1. On what basis do you have confidence that by his use of the female term "חָכְמָה," the author of Proverbs 8 intends to refer to a male (or female, for that matter) human being?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's masculine or feminine. Read (Proverbs 8:30) for the answer...

• Bill_Coley

@BroRando posted:

It's masculine or feminine. Read (Proverbs 8:30) for the answer...

I didn't ask specifically about your confidence regarding the gender of the noun. I asked specifically about your confidence regarding the species of the being to which the noun refers. On what basis do you have confidence that by his use of the female term "חָכְמָה," the author of Proverbs 8 intends to refer to a human being?

The male pronoun "him" in Proverbs 8.30 does NOT refer to wisdom, but rather to Jahweh, next to whom wisdom - who is the passage's narrator (e.g. Proverbs 8.12) - claims to have stood, delighted, and rejoiced. In my view, then, Proverbs 8.30 proves nothing about the gender of wisdom.

Clearly my question still stands, as do the numerous other questions I've posed to you in the last week, all but one of which you seem to have refused even to mention, let alone address.

If you don't want to answer questions about your views - which, from your refusal to engage them, certainly SEEMS to be the case - simply say so and I'll stop asking.

• Brother Rando

It's masculine or feminine. Read (Proverbs 8:30) for the answer...

I was ⌊beside⌋r him, a master workman,

and I was delighting day by day,

rejoicing before him ⌊always⌋,

• Brother Rando

Builder of Gad's Temple (Read Proverbs 9:1)

True wisdom has built her house;

It has carved* out its seven pillars.

• C Mc

@BroRando, please note with a humble spirit:

"Michael" in Daniel = "Who is like God"? This is a rhetorical question. It's asked, "merely for effect with no answer expected or the answer may be obvious." The name Michael appears in the OT ten times as a human name. The persons named Michael are distributed quite widely both geograph­ically among the tribes and in the history of Israel. 

Therefore, the name Michael in Daniel is unique only because it is used to designate a heavenly being. The name Michael means "Who is like God?" an interrogative sentence name used as a rhetorical question to emphasize the incom­parability of God. This type of question was frequently used in the OT. This question, with an implied negative answer. Michael is designated as the prince of Israel, Daniel's people.

Therefore, Michael is Israel's heavenly representative, patron, leader, and guardian. The people of Israel have been specially placed under Michael's care, guidance, and teaching, their prince. He is more than a "prince."; "one of the chief princes," thus a heavenly being of the highest rank. The expression "chief princes" may include the highest-ranking angelic beings. If so, this need not exclude a being of divine nature as the highest-ranking of the "chief princes." 

However, the expression "chief princes" may be a designation for divine beings. In the OT, there appears to be more than one divine being. 

• In Daniel, the Son of Man and the Ancient of Days appear to be divine beings. 
    • In the Exodus experience, the "Angel of the Lord" is a manifestation of God, bearing the name Yahweh, yet a being distinct from the One designated as God and Yahweh. An Angel accompanied Israel from Egypt to the promised land. 
    • God is, in Dan 8, referred to as Prince of Princes. In addition, the expression "chief princes" may reference the plurality of divine beings, of whom Michael is one. 

Michael is also "the great prince." The use of the article indicates that there is only one "great" prince. It expresses a quality of extraordinariness about Michael, distinguishing him from other heavenly intermediaries between God and man. Michael is a prince without a peer.  The designation by which Michael is described in Dan 12:1 goes far beyond those used to describe any other OT angelic figures. The focus is always upon God, the One in authority, based on whose command the angels act and carry out His will. 

Michael, in contrast, has his own distinct identity and personality. He is the focus of attention. As the great prince and guardian of Israel, Michael occupies the prominence and authority occupied by God in earlier OT narratives. Michael is a named being and is designated "the great prince." 

I hope this brings some clarification on the topic. CM

• C Mc

Michael is seen in two appearances in the NT:

1. He is the commander of the heavenly angels and leads them into victorious battle against the Devil and his angels (Rev 12:7-9).
    2. He also appears twice in the context of resurrection:
      1. Designated "the archangel," he contends with the Devil for the body of Moses (Jude 9), presumably a reference to the resurrection of Moses. It is consistent with the appearance of Moses, with Elijah, to Jesus at the transfiguration (Matt 17:3-5; Mark 9:4-5; Luke 9:30-33).
      2. Christ, at His Second Coming, will descend "with the voice of the archangel" to raise the righteous dead to immortality (1 Thess 4:16, 17).

Only one archangel is recognized in both NT appearances. Therefore, the "archangel" in 1Thess 4:16, may be understood as referencing Michael (See Chafer).

There are two early post-New Testament Christian interpretations of Michael:

• The Shepherd of Hermas (A.D. 60).
      • In the parable of the willow tree, the "angel of the Lord" (Sim. 8.1) is identified as Michael (Sim. 8.3).
      • More in-depth reading will show the author of Hermas identified, giving a messianic interpretation of Michael.
    • The Ebionite teachings represented by the Pseudo-Clementine writings (mid-second century A.D.) indirectly identify Michael with Christ.
      • Michael is not mentioned by name.
      • Clement depicts the Father as giving Christ the position of the prince of Israel.

This section may be a bit beyond a layman's base knowledge.

In a small book on prophetic interpretation, George Junkin interpreted Michael messianically. Commenting on Jude 9, regarding Rev 12:7-9 and Dan 10:13, 21, he states that there is but one archangel known in the Bible:

"There is but one head of the angels of glory. Poetry, not always orthodox, has indeed created many; theology knows but one, the Lord our Redeemer."

From the earliest time to now, many identified Michael with Christ. I could provide a list if necessity requires it. Notwithstanding, after a close reading, one can't see:

• Dan 7:13-14
    • The Prince of the Host/Prince of Princes (Dan 8:11, 25)
    • And the Man in Linen (Dan 10:5-6) messianically, and at least indi­rectly, identifies them with Michael?

@Bill_Coley, would you please suspend with skeptism and note the following:

• The voice heard at the resurrection is that of Michael the archangel (Jude 9, 1 Thess 4:16).
    • The Son of God (John 5:28), Michael, therefore, must be Christ, the Son of God.
    • It's a short step to believe and accept the name Michael appears in the Bible and the apocalyptic passages (Dan 10:13, 21; 12:1; Jude 9; Rev 12:7).

In Jude 9, Michael rebukes the devil with the expression, "The Lord rebuke you," the same expression as was used by the Angel of the Lord in Zech 3:1-4 in contending with Satan. Robert Gurney thinks that Michael may well be the

"myster­ious, divine 'Angel of the Lord'--also called the angel of his pre­ sence and the messenger (angel) of the covenant."

In the NT, only one archangel, Michael, appears (1 Thess 4:16; Jude 9). A closer look at Michael and The Angel of the Lord seems necessary to drill down upon moving forward. CM

SOURCES:

• Martin Rist, "Moses, Assumption of," The Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible. Nashville: Abingdon Press 1962, 3:450.
    • Lewis Sperry Chafer, "Angelology," Bibliotheca Sacra 98 (1941): 411
    • J. E. Rosscup, "Michael," The Zondervan Pictorial Encyclopedia of the Bible (Grand Rapids, Mich.: Zondervan Pub. House, 1975), 4:217.
    • Alexander Roberts and James Donaldson. Hermas, Sim. 8 The Ante-Nicene Fathers, 2:39.
    • M. H. Shepherd, Jr., "Hermas, Shepherd of." The Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible. Nashville: Abingdon Press 1962, 2:584
    • Robert Van der Hart, "The Theology of Angels and Devils." Theology Today, No. 36, ed. Edward Yamold (Notre Dame, Ind.: Fides Pub., 1972), 62
    • G. Uhlhorn, "Clementina." The New Schaff-Herzog Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge. New York: Funk & Wagnalls Co., 1909, 3:142-43.
    • George Junkin, The Little Stone and the Great Image. (Phil­ adelphia: James M. Campbell & Co., 1844), 203.
    • •Robert Gurney, God in Control (West Sussex, England,: H. E. Walter, 1980), 158-59.
  • "During that time {Jesus Christ} will stand up, the Great Prince who is standing in behalf of your people. And there will occur a time of distress such as has not occurred since there came to be a nation until that time. And during that time your people will escape, everyone who is found written down in the book. 

And many of those asleep in the dust of the earth will wake up, some to everlasting life and others to reproach and to everlasting contempt." (Daniel 12:1-2)

because the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a commanding call, with an archangel’s voice and with God’s trumpet, and those who are dead in union with Christ will rise first. (1 Thess 4:16)

Jesus said to her: “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who exercises faith in me, even though he dies, will come to life;" (John 11:25)

"and the living one, and I became dead, but look! I am living forever and ever, and I have the keys of death and of the Grave." (Revelation 1:18)

“And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.” (Rev 20:13)

• @Pages

@C Mc Michael is also "the great prince." The use of the article indicates that there is only one "great" prince. It expresses a quality of extraordinariness about Michael, distinguishing him from other heavenly intermediaries between God and man. Michael is a prince without a peer. The designation by which Michael is described in Dan 12:1 goes far beyond those used to describe any other OT angelic figures. The focus is always upon God, the One in authority, based on whose command the angels act and carry out His will. 

Agreed. "During that time {Jesus Christ} will stand up, the Great Prince who is standing in behalf of your people. And there will occur a time of distress such as has not occurred since there came to be a nation until that time. And during that time your people will escape, everyone who is found written down in the book.? (Daniel 12:1)

"For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, a man, Christ Jesus," (1 Timothy 2:5)

• "there is actually to us one God, the Father, from whom all things are and we for him; and there is one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things are and we through him." (1 Corinthians 8:6)
    • For a child has been born to us, a son has been given to us; And the rulership will rest on his shoulder. His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace." (Isaiah 9:6)
    • Michael whose name means "Who is Like God?" Was in God's Form, emptied himself and took a slave’s form and became human, was given the Name to the Glory of God the Father.
    • "Keep this mental attitude in you that was also in Christ Jesus, who, although he was existing in God’s form, gave no consideration to a seizure, namely, that he should be equal to God. No, but he emptied himself and took a slave’s form and became human. More than that, when he came as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to the point of death, yes, death on a torture stake. For this very reason, God exalted him to a superior position and kindly gave him the Name that is above every other name, so that in the name of Jesus every knee should bend—of those in heaven and those on earth and those under the ground— and every tongue should openly acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father." (Philippians 2:5:11)

• Truth
    Truth Posts: 521

Michael...Was in God's Form...became human, was given the Name to the Glory of God the Father.

That watchtower is much creepier, eviler, than I knew.

• Bill_Coley

@C Mc posted:

@Bill_Coley, would you please suspend with skeptism and note the following:

I don't find the argument you compiled from your various sources particularly coherent, let alone compelling, so my "skeptism" [sic] remains intact.