Lost First Love

The angel of the church at Ephesus is warned about the loss of first love. What is that first love? What Scriptures helped you arrive at that position?

Comments

• Bill_Coley
    Bill_Coley Posts: 2,675

Sorry to be so late getting back to your question, Justin.

Given the context of the "first love" reference in its Revelation setting (Revelation 2.2-6, esp. v.4) it seems clear to me that the phrase refers to the way the Ephesian Christians conducted their lives in previous times. To wit:

• Rev 2.2 - Jesus compliments the Ephesians' works and endurance, their refusal to accept evil people, and their discernment of false apostles.
    • Rev 2.3 - Jesus compliments their tireless loyalty, suffering, and service in his name.
    • Rev 2.4 - But Jesus objects to the fact that they have abandoned "the love (they) had at first" (ESV), that they "don't love (him) or each other as (they) did at first" (NLT).
    • Rev 2.5 - Jesus asks the Ephesians to notice "from where (they) have fallen" (ESV), "how far (they) have fallen" (NLT)
    • Rev 2.6 - Jesus affirms and shares the Ephesians' hatred for the actions of the Nicolaitans.

Unless the compliments in vv.2-3 identify them, I don't think the Revelation text reports the specific ways Jesus believes the Ephesians no longer love as they used to love. But clearly, in my view, Jesus believes their actions no longer witness to the one whom they claim as Lord the way they once did.

• @Bill_Coley Given the context of the "first love" reference in its Revelation setting (Revelation 2.2-6, esp. v.4) it seems clear to me that the phrase refers to the way the Ephesian Christians conducted their lives in previous times.

That's also my take on the text from Rev 2 .... A Thank you to Bill for pointing out the textual details from the immediate context.

• Jesus is love so it is about the Ephesians slipping away from him and doing things they shouldn't.

It is really a hopeful scripture to those who think they messed up too much.