Is the Bible Written In Chronological Order?

Is the Bible Written In Chronological Order? What internal evidence to prove this one way or the other? Is there anything sacred about the time order, space order, order of importance or any other organizational pattern the way the Bible is written? Even if it's proven that the Bible is NOT, can it be read in Chronological Order? CM

Comments

• reformed
    reformed Posts: 3,176

Was the Bible written in chronological order? Yes. Are the 66 books in chronological order? No. They are organized by type of work in our 66 book collection.

• C Mc
    C Mc Posts: 4,463

Are you sure "the Bible is written in chronological order"? If they were written in order, why were they not place in order? How do you explain or justify this? CM

• Is the Bible Written In Chronological Order?

what is meant with this question? did you mean, is each book of the Bible written in chronological order? are the books of the Bible placed in chronological order (chronological order according to when they were inspired and written? chronological order according to their content and subject matter?) or what?

Please clarify .... one can not really properly answer an unclear question...😉

• C Mc
    edited December 2019
  • The former question is what I had in mind. If not, why not?

well, how could a content be written in chronological order when it does not contain anything which would be linked to something happening in a particular chronological order?

And even if a writer reports an event or events which happen in a certain chronological order, he may still report the related information in some other kind of order or structure.

The important point for a reader is to recognize whether or not what he reads is written in a chronological order or following some other order ... otherwise, false interpretations and associations could be the result.

• C Mc

What's the oldest book in the Bible? CM

• What's the oldest book in the Bible? CM

what does this have to do with whether or not the content of a book is written in chronological order ?

• C Mc

In both situations, the Bible writers, were they God's pen or God's penmen? CM

• @C_M_ .... answer questions asked of you, instead of throwing around a different question 😉

IF indeed you mean to answer a question with question, then you question better relate directly to the previous question you were asked, and not as you have done here, asking about something which no longer has anything to do with the matter of chronology which is really in question.

• Lamech
    Lamech Posts: 31

Theo Book.......PHILLIP.SCHAFF...Cath.Encyclopedia

45...........James.......45..................44-62

48...........Gal............48...................5 7

50...........I Thess......50...................52-53

51..........II THES......51...................52-53

52..........MAT...........52...................60-70

54..........I COR........54....................57

55..........II COR.......55....................57

56..........ROM.........56.....................58

58..........LUKE........58.....................60-70

60..........COL..........60.....................61-63

60..........EPH..........60.....................61-63

60..........PHLMN.....60.....................61-63

61..........PHLpns.....61.....................61-63

61..........ACTS........61.....................60-70

64/65.....I TIM.........64.....................64-67

64/65.....TTS..........64.....................64-67

64/65......I PET.......65.....................64-67

66/67......II PET......66.....................64-67

67/68......II TIM.......67.....................64-67

69...........REV........69.....................68-69

70...........HEB........70.....................70

70..........MRK........70.....................60-70

75..........JUDE.......75.....................64-67

85/90.......I JN.................................80-90

85/90.......II JN................................80-90

85/90.......III JN...............................80-90

96.......... JOHN..............................80-90

• I wonder if someone could provide some more insight on the question of how it would impact the understanding of the content of Biblical books if they were placed in their canonical order in accordance with the chronological order in which they were written ....

In other words and for example: How would your understanding of the content of 1 Thessalonians differ from what it is now if it were placed before books such as Romans, Corinthians, Ephesians, and the four gospels ??