Spirit of truth ... guide you into all the truth ...

John 16:13-15 (NASB)

13     “But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come.

14     “He will glorify Me, for He will take of Mine and will disclose it to you.

15     “All things that the Father has are Mine; therefore I said that He takes of Mine and will disclose it to you.

What is meant with the term "the spirit of truth"? Are there several "spirits", such as "spirit of truth", "spirit of wisdom", "holy spirit"; etc? Is this "spirit" a living being of some kind? or perhaps something like an "attitude/interest for truth"? or what?

Who will be led or guided by this "spirit of truth" (in other words, who are the "you" being addressed)?

What is the "all truth" mentioned into which these "you" would be guided? does it mean these "you" would be knowing everything that is true, or what?

Comments

• YourTruthGod
    YourTruthGod Posts: 260

There is only one divine Spirit, and He is the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of truth.

• C Mc
    C Mc Posts: 4,463

My Brother, Wolfgang,

Is not the ''you" refers to John's then, audience (disciples of Christ and future followers)? Do you recall the attributes of the Holy Spirit in Scripture? Like any other student follower, he or she will not know everything the Master knows. He would guide them to know "all truth", the necessities to believe, live, develop faith, get alone with one another, witness, address their enemies, discern truth from error, and resist temptation.

I hope this help. CM

• C Mc
    C Mc Posts: 4,463

It is well established that there is plurality of persons or beings the Godhead. Richard L. Strauss says,

“some have maintained that it is a plural of majesty, but that projects something to ancient Hebrew minds that they never considered. They addressed their kings in the singular. So, as startling as it may seem, the first time we meet God in the Old Testament there is evidence of plural personal distinctions in Him.”

To be clear, "The Spirit of truth" = Holy Spirit

The Godhead is so “interwoven in sending the Spirit” that it becomes difficult to see where One leaves off and the Other continues.

Jesus’ role and function and that of Father and the Holy Spirit are seen in Jesus words:

“But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to remembrance all that I have said to you” (John 14:26).

The activity of the Godhead is selfless and seamless as three distinct beings function to bring an unseen, but Jesus describes sending the Spirit to earth in saying:

When the Helper comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, that is the Spirit of truth, who proceeds from the Father, He will bear witness of Me” (John 15:26).

Jesus is sending the Spirit and the Spirit also proceeds from the Father. The Spirit also will bear witness of Jesus. It shows clearly how closely, as a team of One, the Godhead function.

I hope this helps. Please don't be afraid or ashamed to affirm truth. CM

SOURCE:

Richard L. Strauss, Three in One, Joy of Knowing God Series, www.bible.org