Sabbath keeping today in new covenant age

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited September 2021 in Bible Questions

Anyone have textual insights into the following passage:

Col 2:16–17 (NASB95)

Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day—

things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

What does this passage teach regarding religious rituals such as the OT laws concerning food or drink or feasts or new moon or a Sabbath day ?? Are we to prescribe such rituals as keeping of a Sabbath day on us and others?

Comments

• C Mc
    C Mc Posts: 4,463

Thanks again, Wolfgang, for the questions. To avoid saying too much or not enough, we need to establish an understanding of terms and background to address your questions appropriately:

1. Do you care to provide an agreeable definition or understanding of the word "covenant"?
    2. Do you care to distinguish between the "Old Covenant" and the "New Covenant"?
      1. What are the Covenants of the Bible? Please list them.
      2. To whom were they have written, the terms, and for how long?
      3. Specifically, were they written to individuals or nations (people)?

Please contrast the Old Covenant and the New Covenant:

1. Parties?
    2. Length?
    3. Terms?
    4. Blessings - curses?
    5. How are they ratified?
    6. Were they temporary or permanent?
    7. Conditional or Unconditional?

It would be helpful to know:

1. Are there two covenants or just one that has been renewed and expanded?
    2. What are the common denominators of all covenants?

To Get To The Heart of the Matter:

1. The theme, the conflict, and the heresy of that day?
    2. Are you mindful that there are differences between "the Sabbath Day" and "sabbaths" and "sabbath days"? Would you mind stating what they are?
    3. Do you care to provide the background to passage of concern (Col 2:16–17 (NASB95)?
    4. What are the key festival days and their purposes?
    5. Can you distinguish between the clean and unclean foods established from creation and made clear when Noah entered the Ark before the flood?

When these basic questions are answered, we can discuss the passage. There must be a mutual understanding of the above to avoid spiritual indigestion and flatulence.

It's alright if you can't answer all of them. We can work on them one at a time. Your cooperation and those of others are welcome. Let's build a better understanding of the passage above. CM

• Looks to me like the passage says not to let anyone act as your judge, so why are some people here on a forum attempting to judge what to prescribe or not prescribe for others?

Isn't that just how humans are!

• Looks to me like the passage says not to let anyone act as your judge,

I agree that we should not let the judgments of others with false "prescriptions" put us down or cause us to stumble. What others do and how they act is in their jurisdiction and responsibility, how I let such false judgement effect me is my responsibility.

so why are some people here on a forum attempting to judge what to prescribe or not prescribe for others?

Perhaps they are unaware of this truth? perhaps they hold to false ideas of thinking it to be their responsibility to do so? perhaps something else?

• C Mc
    C Mc Posts: 4,463

@byGeorge,

Your remarks are not the meaning of this passage. It's cute but not the correct interpretation. No one in these forums is are doing what the above text conveys. I am surprised you try to make the text say what the original writer meant or the intended audience received.

Are you attempting to address the OP or just speaking in general? I can't speak for other countries, but in America, you can suggest anything to anybody on any matter. A suggestion doesn't mean the person would comply or is compelled to do so. The same thing goes in these forums. So, your point is muted. If you or Wolfgang don't like my suggestion to proceed, don't try to make the text say such.

If you're referring to my suggestive questions to mine, the text above statement remains muted. My suggestions are to "readout of" the text (exegesis) or do justice to the OP to have a thoughtful exchange. To do otherwise, we will have unnecessary back and forth or resort to reading into the text what is not there (eisegesis). Beyond wasting e-ink, one would end up giving the wrong interpretation of the text. To me, this will be an unnecessary tragedy.

So, let's get to work to discuss the covenants. It would be helpful to know the parts of a covenant. Here is an example:

• Preamble (Deut. 1:1–5)

• Historical prologue (Deut. 1:6–4:49)

Stipulations: general (Deuteronomy5–11) specific (Deuteronomy12–26)

• Blessings and curses (Deuteronomy 27, Deuteronomy 28)

• Covenant loyalty and witnesses (Deuteronomy 29, Deuteronomy 30)

Some covenants are conditional and unconditional. Can you list the covenants of the Bible? Do you know which of the biblical covenants are conditional and unconditional? Let's build a better understanding. CM