In your opinion how will the Trump Administration be remembered?

In your opinion:

(1) how will the Trump Administration be remembered?

(2) Has this administration good, neutral, or bad effect on society in the U.S.A so far? Please provide reasons and examples for your conclusion.

Comments

• Thus far and looking on from the outside, I'll remember the promise of wanting to drain the swamp, and the swamp not being drained as of yet. I'll also remember that there have not been many administrations during the time I can remember that were opposed and gaced with a large scale and even open coup attempt as this one has .... thus far, the coup has not succeeded. In the case of JFK a coup did succeed and we all know how that happened ...

• Bill_Coley
    Bill_Coley Posts: 2,675

@Mitchell posted:

1) How will the Trump Administration be remembered?

The consensus of history has all but been determined regarding Mr Trump's presidency. He is, by basically ALL scholarly accounts, one of the five worst presidents of all time. In in a survey of 170 scholars released in February of 2018, Mr Trump was deemed the worst president by Democratic historians, the second worst by independent historians, and the fifth worst by Republican historians. I agree with the Democratic historians, NOT because I too am a Democrat, but because in my view Mr Trump is objectively the worst president - and perhaps the worst politician - in American history. Some of my reasons:

• First and foremost on my list is the president's pathological lying. He is without doubt and by orders of magnitude the most mendacious person I have ever known. The Washington Post's count of Mr Trump's false and misleading statements since he took office now stands at more than 19,000. That's an average of more than 16 false or misleading statements per day every day for the last 3-1/2 years! You and I can't possibly know anyone who speaks falsehoods that frequently. And you and I can't possibly name an American president who ever did so.
    • Mr Trump has used the politics of division, playing principally... make that almost exclusively... to his political base, a base comprised of people who respond favorably to his "us vs them" rhetoric, who welcome his demonization of immigrants, his embrace of dictators and other totalitarian-leading figures, and his nearly perfected expression fascist tendencies. His base's high regard for his style and occasional substantive action (tax and regulation cuts, and Supreme and other court nominees, e.g.) is so great that sadly Mr Trump was prophetic when he claimed that he could shoot someone on 5th Ave in New York City and they would still vote for him. [The fact that his base accepts Mr Trump's serial lying is sufficient proof of my point, but I could also point out that for most of his presidency, Mr Trump's approval rating has hovered in the low-to-mid 40s, and in only a rare and outlying survey has ever reached 50%.] Thanks to the president's "us v. them" rhetoric, the other 55-60% of the country is the opposition of his side's. In my view, it's not the job of a president of the United States to divide the nation so intentionally into camps.
    • This list could become quite long, but I need to do other things, so I will stop with this one: Donald Trump is profoundly emotionally and psychologically unfit for the presidency. He is, again by orders of magnitude, the most self-absorbed, narcissistic, and insecure person ever to hold the office. He wants the attention and acclaim and applause of the office, but none of its responsibilities, which are first and foremost to serve OTHERS, not himself. His self-absorption has led to enormous amounts of corruption in his administration (e.g. insert essay on the Trump-Putin bromance/co-dependency here). His emotional immaturity is sad, but more relevant to the nation's well-being, dangerous.

2) Has this administration good, neutral, or bad effect on society in the U.S.A so far? Please provide reasons and examples for your conclusion.

Contrary to the guidance of EVERY public health expert, his followers gather, unmasked and shoulder-to-shoulder, at his political rallies in part because he doesn't wear one and has made fun of those who do. In fact, he has suggested that mask-wearing is an expression of political correctness. In my view, that's evidence of bad effect on the country.

The other bad effect I will mention (there are many) is that because of him we're just a more nasty nation now. 20 years ago, as a nation we would have rejected Mr Trump's petulant and often dismissive name calling. My parents would have washed my mouth out with soap had I called anyone the names he calls people he disagrees with. Now it's part of the American way (and part of some CD posters' approach to those with whom they disagree). As a follower of Jesus who believes love for neighbor includes respect for those who disagree with me, I think Mr Trump's effect on our national character has been bad, sad, and deeply disturbing.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2020

... I think Mr Trump's effect on our national character has been bad, sad, and deeply disturbing.

The ffects you describe in earlier sections of your post have been around for decades .... but, as I remember, Trump only took office in Jan 2017.

Looking on from the outside, it seems clear that those USA folks who elected him in 2016, saw the very things you now seem to want to put solely on Trump's shoulders being pushed on them by the previous administrations (more especially Clinton, Bush, Obama) and they were hoping for "that - recently especially Democrats dominated - swamp to be drained".

Thus far, there has not been any US president able to drain that swamp ... deadly bullets await anyone who tries ...

AN example of how it could perhaps be done can be seen in Russia, where Putin drained the US Puppet mostly drunk Yeltsin swamp of oligarchs during his first term of office ...

• Some excerpts from President Trump's speech ata Mt. RUshmore on 3rd July, 2020:

Angry mobs are trying to tear down statues of our Founders, deface our most sacred memorials, and unleash a wave of violent crime in our cities. Many of these people have no idea why they are doing this, but some know exactly what they are doing. They think the American people are weak and soft and submissive. But no, the American people are strong and proud, and they will not allow our country, and all of its values, history, and culture, to be taken from them

One of their political weapons is "Cancel Culture" -- driving people from their jobs, shaming dissenters, and demanding total submission from anyone who disagrees. This is the very definition of totalitarianism, and it is completely alien to our culture and our values, and it has absolutely no place in the United States of America. [Applause] This attack on our liberty, our magnificent liberty, must be stopped, and it will be stopped very quickly. We will expose this dangerous movement, protect our nation's children, end this radical assault, and preserve our beloved American way of life

Where is he lying in his description of what's currently happening in many places in the USA? no mobs trying to do what he says? no attempt at "cancel culture" and other mentioned measures taken by those violence driven ideologists?

• reformed
    reformed Posts: 3,176

People who are brainwashed will remember him as a bad president. Objective onlookers will look at him as someone who has done what he said he would do, fought corruption, and faced a ridiculous Democrat party who has lost all grip on reality.

• Here's an interesting article on the Trump administration and some ideas about relevance to the upcoming elestcion