Teachers Arming Themselves?

Why more Utah teachers are considering carrying guns in the classroom

'It could be me,' middle school teacher says at firearms course designed for educators

Gretel KauffmanJun 14, 2019, 9:30pm MDT

SPANISH FORK — After a childhood spent surrounded by gun violence in South Africa, Erin Thomas is, as she puts it, "anti-gun in a lot of ways."

It’s a description seemingly at odds with Thomas’ newly-acquired permit to carry a concealed firearm.

But with what can feel like an endless cycle of school shootings in the news, Thomas, an assistant principal at two elementary schools in the Alpine School District, has been increasingly forced to consider a frightening question for educators: What would I do if it were my school?

If the unthinkable were to happen, Thomas says, she wants to be able to take action — to be "helpful," rather than helpless.

Jennifer Jacobsen's notebook, pen and pistol lay on a desk during class at the Utah County Sheriff's Office in Spanish Fork on Wednesday, June 12, 2019. Jacobsen teaches physical education at Willow Creek Middle School in Lehi.

Laura Seitz, Deseret News

Thomas and 31 other teachers, principals, and counselors filled a classroom at the Utah County Sheriff’s Office on Wednesday for a concealed carry instructional course, part of a comprehensive academy to help educators prepare for potentially violent situations...

"Guns don’t belong in our classrooms to begin with," said Mary Ann Thompson, head of the Utah chapter of gun control advocacy group Moms Demand Action. "Teachers and staff should be focused on helping our kids learn, not focused on being responsible for stopping an active shooter."

SOURCE: https://www.deseret.com/2019/6/14/20675736/why-more-utah-teachers-are-considering-carrying-guns-in-the-classroom#mckenzie-wilson-left-and-jennifer-jacobsen-physical-education-teachers-at-willow-creek-middle-school-in-lehi-look-over-jacobsens-pistol-during-class-at-the-utah-county-sheriffs-office-in-spanish-fork-on-wednesday-june-12-2019

This is a disaster waiting to happen!

I appeal to peace-loving parents and all True Christians:

I thought the guns in the classroom fever was broken. Unfortunately, it has rear its ugly head again. CD Users lend your voices and influences against endangering the lives of more students. This is madness! Schools should harden the perimeter and not weaponize the classroom.

Where are the peacemakers? I would not be surprised to find the NRA behind this renewed fear of classroom safety and encouraging teachers to carry guns in the classrooms. Where are the Priests, Rabbis, Pastors, Imans, and Social Workers, etc.?

It would be nice if this site takes a stand against guns in the classroom. Guns were made to kill. More students are sure to die. God help the children in these classrooms. CM

Comments