New Books?

Has anyone come across new books or materials that encourages Christian growth and Development? CM

PS. Any "good" reading materials.

Tagged:

Comments

• Jan
    Jan Posts: 301

Old books are sometimes just as encouraging. Here's one that I had on my reading list for decades, but only managed to read this year:

And here's a new book written by my friend Steve Griffiths:

Both books are filled with accounts how the Gospel transforms the worst and vilest sinners into regenerate believers who deeply love Jesus. Steve's book also teaches a very powerful lesson on forgiveness.

• C Mc
    C Mc Posts: 4,463

Thanks, Jan! It looks like a good read. Keep them coming. I have to downsize my physical-book holdings. CM

• Pages
    Pages Posts: 323

@C_M_

PS. Any "good" reading materials.

The following resources fall into the “good“ category for myself – all available in Logos software.

Recent and completed reading:

Hurtado, Larry W. At the Origins of Christian Worship: The Context and Character of Earliest Christian Devotion. Grand Rapids, MI; Cambridge, U.K.: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 2000.

Hurtado, Larry W. How on Earth Did Jesus Become a God?: Historical Questions about Earliest Devotion to Jesus. Grand Rapids, MI; Cambridge, U.K.: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 2005.

Dunn, James D. G. Did the First Christians Worship Jesus?: The New Testament Evidence. London; Louisville, KY: Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge; Westminster John Knox Press, 2010.

Lucass, Shirley. The Concept of the Messiah in the Scriptures of Judaism and Christianity. Edited by Lester L. Grabbe. Vol. 78. Library of Second Temple Studies. London; New York: T & T Clark International, 2011.

Macleod, Donald. Jesus Is Lord: Christology Yesterday and Today. Fearn, UK: Christian Focus Publications, 2000.

Bird, Michael F., ed. How God Became Jesus: The Real Origins of Belief in Jesus’ Divine Nature—A Response to Bart Ehrman. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2014.

Sanders, E. P. Jesus and Judaism. Philadelphia: Fortress Press, 1985.

Two sections: one on Jesus and Judaism, the other on Christology from the following:

Blomberg, Craig L. Jesus and the Gospels: An Introduction and Survey. Nashville, TN: Broadman & Holman Publishers, 1997.

Reading presently:

Wright, N. T. Jesus and the Victory of God. Christian Origins and the Question of God. London: Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, 1996.

Bauckham, Richard. Gospel of Glory: Major Themes in Johannine Theology. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 2015.

Looking forward to reading these:

https://www.logos.com/product/4808/studies-in-early-christology

https://www.logos.com/product/26713/letters-to-the-church-a-survey-of-hebrews-and-the-general-epistles

https://www.logos.com/product/17012/the-dead-sea-scrolls-and-christian-origins

• C Mc

Thanks @Pages,

Rich suggestions. A real eye opener. Be blessed and a blessing. CM

• C Mc

Brethren,

Consider this book in the Logos edition:

"The Old Testament in Seven Sentences: A Small Introduction to a Vast Topic"

Some people find the Old Testament to be confusing, out of date, and essentially replaced by the New Testament. They are missing out. The Old Testament offers us a grand narrative that reveals God’s work, God’s purposes, and God’s wisdom.

Christopher J. H. Wright fits the pieces together and shows us the coherent whole. Using seven key sentences drawn straight from the Old Testament, he connects the dots and points us toward Jesus.

• In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
    • All peoples on earth will be blessed through you.
    • You shall have no other gods before me.
    • How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of him who brings good news.

Such sentences as these are not merely beautiful or helpful (though they are that). They are part of the great drama of Scripture, the story of God’s plan of redemption that embraces all nations and the whole of his creation. Wright starts from the beginning, describing God’s promises and covenants with his people and his mission to bless the world. At the end of this short survey, readers will clearly see God’s faithfulness and love for his people and will understand how the Old Testament scriptures prepared for the identity and mission of Jesus as Messiah, Savior, and Lord.

Benefits of Logos Edition

In the Logos edition, this volume is enhanced by amazing functionality. Important terms link to dictionaries, encyclopedias, and a wealth of other resources in your digital library. Perform powerful searches to find exactly what you’re looking for.

Happy reading! CM

• C Mc

Consider reading one of these in 2020. They are not new, but makes an interesting read:

1. Evolution Impossible: 12 Reasons Why Evolution Cannot Explain the Origin of Life on Earth (Green Forest, Arkansas: Master Books, 2012). John F. Ashton
    2. Jeff Levin published God, Faith, and Health in which he outlined seven principles of theosomatic medicine.
    3. Prayer and Health: Larry Dossey, a physician of internal medicine from Dallas, Texas, developed an interest in Levin’s work and began to follow his findings. Dossey did his own research into the impact of prayer and in 1989 he published, Recovering the Soul: A Scientific and Spiritual Search.
    4. Also, in 1993 he published, Healing Words: The Power of Prayer and the Practice of Medicine. Dossey’s book had a profound impact on the practice of medicine and eventually on medical school education.
    5. Tanya Luhrmann, a psychological anthropologist from Stanford University, studied the prayer practices of evangelical Christians in order to understand how they came to experience God as real in their lives. She has written a book entitled When God Talks Back: Understanding the American Evangelical Relationship with God (2012).

If you have read any of these, please take the liberty to share any high points. CM

• Mitchell
    Mitchell Posts: 668

Hey CM,

I am not Jan, but I like you I too need to downsize my physical book holdings. Since September I have been trying out the Kindle Paper white as my main e-book driver (I have heard good things about Kubo, too). in addition to reading in theological books in Bible software on my computer screen. I am not entirely comfortable reading e-books just yet, but I know it in theory should help to save trees.