Forum Feedback

simsrw73
simsrw73 Posts: 8
edited January 2018 in General

Carrying conversation from the "Faithlife: Need for Help at ChristianDiscourse" thread on Logos Forums.

Creating this thread to continue discussion on setting up the forums, categories, and general feedback.

Thank you, Jan! These forums are a terrific contribution!

Can we have a web icon?
EDIT: Also, are there any plugins that allow user selectable themes? With something less bright?

Comments

• GaoLu
    GaoLu Posts: 1,368

Thanks, Jan. I really appreciate your time and effort creating this forum. Looking forward to good conversations.

• Jan
    Jan Posts: 301

Can we have a web icon?

We can! I've just retrieved the previous CD icon from the archive. Good idea. I still need to ask FL whether it's okay to use the icons.

• Jan

EDIT: Also, are there any plugins that allow user selectable themes? With something less bright?

I found one, however, it's abandoned, and it says it doesn't work on mobile. I'll find out what exactly it does first before installing on the live forum. If it does funny things, then better not use it.

OT: RefTagger test - John 3:16

• Thank you, Jan, for your efforts and work in setting things up. So far, things seem to work fine here at my end, including the "RefTagger" test.

• Dave_L
    Dave_L Posts: 2,362

Thanks Jan! Great site and user friendly. It's good to see everyone posting again!

• Is there a means to have discussions listed according to category on "home" page?

• @Jan said:
    We can! I've just retrieved the previous CD icon from the archive. Good idea. I still need to ask FL whether it's okay to use the icons.

As fas as I am concerned, there is no need at all to connect this independent forum in any way (even with an icon) to FaithLife .... This forum is not linked to FaithLife, not supported by FaithLife, and it is offered and maintained by a private person.

• dct112685
    dct112685 Posts: 1,114

How can you create tags? Example, tag something with Christology, or Systematic Theology, or whatever.

• @davidtaylorjr said:
    How can you create tags? Example, tag something with Christology, or Systematic Theology, or whatever.

It looks like it is not currently enabled, though it is supported:
    https://docs.vanillaforums.com/help/addons/tagging/

Reactions would be nice too.

• Jan
    edited January 2018

@Wolfgang said:
    As fas as I am concerned, there is no need at all to connect this independent forum in any way (even with an icon) to FaithLife .... This forum is not linked to FaithLife, not supported by FaithLife, and it is offered and maintained by a private person.

On the one hand, it's true that the forum is not affiliated with FL. On the other hand, it is the unofficial successor of a forum run by FL. Further, using the original icon would spare me from creating (or purchasing the rights to use) new ones... :D

Everyone here has at least a loose tie to FL (which will be even more true when the Single Sign On module is in place, and a FL account becomes mandatory). So I'm leaning towards keeping the original icons (but am not at all convinced they're gonna give the permission).

Edit: just for clarification - the forum is offered through my company, not by me privately. In the unlikely case that it creates a bit of revenue, that income should be properly taxed.

• Jan

@simsrw73 said:
    It looks like it is not currently enabled, though it is supported:
    https://docs.vanillaforums.com/help/addons/tagging/

Actually, I installed and enabled the tagging addon from time of launch. I believe you can only tag a topic when you start it.

And, er, users need permission settings to create new tags, which I now have also enabled...

Reactions would be nice too.

That's the one big thing that Vanilla lacks. :(
    I still need to go through the list of available plugins to find the best plugin that's suitable to provide a similar functionality.

• Jan

@Wolfgang said:
    Is there a means to have discussions listed according to category on "home" page?

The home page can either have discussions (latest discussions across all categories), or just a categories list without any discussions...

• dct112685
    dct112685 Posts: 1,114

@Jan yes, I started a topic and it does allow me to put tags on it, however, it seems that it will not allow new tags to be created? Perhaps it has to be a set list?

• Jan

@davidtaylorjr said:
    @Jan yes, I started a topic and it does allow me to put tags on it, however, it seems that it will not allow new tags to be created?

Is this still the case now after I have modified the settings?

@davidtaylorjr said:
    Perhaps it has to be a set list?

According to the help document, both scenarios are possible - either have user-generated tags or a curated list of tags.

I'm trying to configure user-generated tags.