Koreans React To The Yemeni refugees/migrants In Jeju Island

Mitchell
Mitchell Posts: 668
edited August 2018 in News & Current Events

(1) As a Christian what is your take on the issue going on on Jeju Island?
(2) What do you think of the migrants from Yemeni via Malaysia?
(3) Should they be afforded refugee status in Korea? Yes, No, Maybe, and Why?
(4) If the same migrants were to come to your country would you be in favor, against, or indifferent and why?
(5) What did you think of the points of views of the residents of Jeju interviewed in this video?

Comments

• GaoLu
    GaoLu Posts: 1,368

Fascinating video for a variety of reason, some cultural, some just simply human. I find interesting that there are 37 organizations are fighting for the protection of 500 refugees. I am thrilled that so many people care and are involved.

Most of all, the story is heart-rending. Thankfully the journalists raising awareness about this matter. Yet this is only one of so, so many.

(1) As a Christian what is your take on the issue going on on Jeju Island?

Lev 19:9-10
    Lev 19:33-34
    Dt 10:18-19
    1 Ki 8:41-44

(2) What do you think of the migrants from Yemeni via Malaysia?

My heart aches for them. In a measure, I understand their plight.

(3) Should they be afforded refugee status in Korea? Yes, No, Maybe, and Why?

I ponder that as refugees they could be well cared for until a future time they could return safely home.

(4) If the same migrants were to come to your country would you be in favor, against, or indifferent and why?

Same as #3

(5) What did you think of the points of views of the residents of Jeju interviewed in this video?

Understandable. I would like to see an integration process, where those, especially those most alarmed about the refugees and the stories about them, could go interact with them, help them, know them and learn to love them. Maybe some good soccer games would do it.

Story: My family once encountered a situation in Asia where a particular feared/hated minority group of college students were isolated from the larger group. My boys (teens at the time) liked both ethnic groups, but neither group would do anything but threaten the other. One day my boys went to the campus and were hitting a volleyball back and forth. A couple minority kids came out and watched. My boys heartily asked them to join. They bashfully did so. Then the majority-students showed up. There was much tension in the air. My boys, taking advantage of appearing as "dumb white foreigners," shouted at them to join as well, and one by one they joined. Soon there was a full-blown game going with skin colors and ethnicities all over the map having a wonderful time together. For weeks after that, we walked by the campus once a week and saw the mixed group playing together. Sadly, in that case political (not racial) tension soon ended the games, but I know it can work! Do it again.

• Mitchell
    Mitchell Posts: 668

Thank you for your reply and for sharing your story!!!