The Holy Spirit [The Biblical View] -- Intelligent Being, Influence ("It") or God?

2»

Comments

• C Mc
    C Mc Posts: 4,463

@Wolfgang said:

@C_M_ said:

1. What or who is the Holy Spirit?

(a) Since God is not only "the Father", "the Creator", "the Almighty", "the Ancient of Days", etc. but is also "Holy" and He is "Spirit", there are few passages in Scripture where God is being referred to as "the Holy Spirit".
    (b) Also, what God gives to believers as His gift and as "power from on high" is called "holy spirit" in Scripture.

I. There are in fact only eight passages in the Synoptic Gospels in which there is a reference by our Lord to the Holy Spirit. They are as follows:

1. The teaching about blasphemy against the Holy Spirit (Mark 3:28-30; Matt 12:31, 32; Luke 12:10).
    2. The Promise of the guidance of the Spirit in the coming time of persecution (Mark 13:11).
    3. The saying about casting out evil spirits by the Spirit of God (Matt 12:28).
    4. The reference to the inspiration of Ps 110 (Mark 12:36; Matt 22:43).
    5. The giving of the Holy Spirit in answer to prayer (Luke 11:13).
    6. The baptismal command (Matt 28:19).
    7. The reference to Isa 61:1, 2, in Christ’s sermon at Nazareth (Luke 4:16 ff.).
    8. Our Lord’s promise of the Pentecostal outpouring (Luke 24:9).

II. The person and work of the Holy Spirit unfold within four broad areas:

1. Salvation and becoming a disciple of the triune God (1 Pet 1:2, 23).
    2. Christology (1 Pet 1:11; 3:18).
    3. Gospel proclamation (1 Pet 1:11; 3:18).
    4. Suffering, trials, adversity (1 Pet 4:14).

III. The Holy Spirit has:

1. Intelligence (John 14:26; 15:26; Rom 8:16).
    2. A will (Acts 16:7; 1 Cor 12:11).
    3. Affections (Eph 4:30).

IV. In addition, the Holy Spirit performs acts proper to personality:

• He is said to speak expressly (1 Tim 4:1).
    • To send (Acts 10:20).
    • To prevent (Acts 16:7).
    • To command (Acts 11:12).
    • To forbid (Acts 16:6).
    • To call ministers of the gospel (Acts 13:2).
    • To appoint them to their spheres of duty (Acts 20:28).
    • To to make intercession (Rom 8:26, 27).
    • To be grieved and temted (Eph 4:30; Acts 5:19).
    • To dwell in Christians as His temple (1 Cor 31:16; 6:19), and to comfort them (John 14:16, 17).

V. These qualities and actions

They are more commonly identified with human personality and can't be attributed to some mere power or influence. Similar language implying that the Spirit is personal is found in other parts of the NT:

1. According to Peter, the Spirit testifies (1 Pet 1:11).
    2. One author of the epistle to the Hebrews says that the Spirit speaks and bears witness in the writings of the OT (Heb 3:7).
    3. Several times in the book of Revelation the Spirit is said to speak (Rev 2:7, 11, 17, 29; 3:6, 13, 22; etc.).

And this person is God since lying unto the Spirit is lying unto God, as Peter declares to Ananias in Acts 5:3, 7. “The Spiritwho with unutterable groanings intercedes for the soul in inner conflict, and who through the constant motion of faith and love draws him into God’s all-embracing eschatological act of salvation—is no one else than God himself,” writes Regin Prenter (See source).

When the Bible is taken as a whole there is much yet to say on this topic. CM

SOURCE:
    -- Regin Prenter, Spiritus Creator, trans. by John M. Jensen (Philadelphia, 1953), 180.

• A study of the about 385 occurrences of the Greek word πνεῦμα for "spirit" and observing its usage and use in the different contexts will provide a better and true understanding

• C Mc

@Wolfgang said:
    A study of the about 385 occurrences of the Greek word πνεῦμα for "spirit" and observing its usage and use in the different contexts will provide a better and true understanding

Until then, we, currently, have a pretty good handle of " The Spirit" contrast to just the word "spirit". CM

• In light of some of the above points mentioned, a question arises: Can and does "a 2nd person" (such as "the Holy Spirit" if viewed as 3rd Trinity person) inhabit a human being? In other words, are those who propose such "person inside a person" idea, actually speaking of a dual personality, split personality, etc?

• C Mc

@Wolfgang said:
    In light of some of the above points mentioned, a question arises: Can and does "a 2nd person" (such as "the Holy Spirit" if viewed as 3rd Trinity person) inhabit a human being? In other words, are those who propose such "person inside a person" idea, actually speaking of a dual personality, split personality, etc?

Read the biblical accounts. CM

• @C_M_ said:

@Wolfgang said:
    In light of some of the above points mentioned, a question arises: Can and does "a 2nd person" (such as "the Holy Spirit" if viewed as 3rd Trinity person) inhabit a human being? In other words, are those who propose such "person inside a person" idea, actually speaking of a dual personality, split personality, etc?

I have read them ... and there is no person (God-person, spirit-person) literally inhabiting and living inside a human person.

• C Mc

@Wolfgang said:

@C_M_ said:

@Wolfgang said:

I have read them ... and there is no person (God-person, spirit-person) literally inhabiting and living inside a human person.

Have you ever heard of a figure of speech? God is a Spirit and He dwells in man through his word. When man's will, combines with God's will. Faith, knowledge, will, obedience, ere goes the Christian. CM

• @C_M_ said:

@Wolfgang said:

@C_M_ said:

@Wolfgang said:

Have you ever heard of a figure of speech?

In light of what I have written in many posts which I have contributed here, do you think I have ever heard of a figure of speech ? :smile::wink::smile:

God is a Spirit and He dwells in man through his word. When man's will, combines with God's will. Faith, knowledge, will, obedience, ere goes the Christian. CM

So then, there really is no 3rd God-person "Holy Spirit" living inside a believer ?

Also, have you heard of a figure of speech by which some thing is spoken of as if it were a person (such as "wisdom" as "a woman")? Thus I would consider quite a number of the scriptures in your initial list which are put under showing an acting person to actually be references to the gift holy spirit received by believers by which God can provide knowledge and power to do miracles etc

• @Wolfgang said:

Habakkuk 2:4 (CJB) "Look at the proud: he is inwardly not upright; but the righteous will attain life through trusting faithfulness." that is reflected in Hebrew 11:1-6 (CJB) "Trusting is being confident of what we hope for, convinced about things we do not see. It was for this that Scripture attested the merit of the people of old. By trusting, we understand the universe was created through a spoken word of God, so that what is seen did not come into being out of existing phenomena. By trusting, Hevel offered a greater sacrifice than Kayin; because of this, he was attested as righteous, with God giving him this testimony on the ground of his gifts. Through having trusted, he still continues to speak, even though he is dead. By trusting, Hanokh was taken away from this life without seeing death - 'He was not to be found, because God took him away' - for he has been attested as having been, prior to being taken away, well pleasing to God. And without trusting, it is impossible to be well pleasing to God, because whoever approaches him must trust that he does exist and that he becomes a Rewarder to those who seek him out."
    Paul (Sha'ul) describes dual natures within trusting believers is his letter to the Romans, which includes "Thus, those who identify with their old nature cannot please God." (Romans 8:8) God is Holy & Righteous while sin nature inherited from Adam & Eve's decision to sin (disobey God) is unrighteous.

A number of CD comments show unrighteous human nature with words reflecting "hurting people hurt people." Human anger does not accomplish God's Righteousness (see James chapter 1, especially verse 20). Humans can choose to respond to thoughts from our adversary, the devil, who intensely hates us and wants us using angry words that displease Lord God Almighty. Thankful for Isaiah 14:12-17 describing "I" trouble so personally learning to question any "I" thoughts in me. Adversary has placed thoughts into humans to poke/provoke sin nature over thousands of years (new people can experience old crafty and cunning deceptions). Free will can choose to obey those thoughts or turn/Love God. Holy Spirit has peaceful thoughts, which can be chosen/obeyed by trusting believers who are pleasing to God.

1 Corinthians 8:1 includes "knowledge puffs up, but love builds up." Thankful to have one personality, which can have thoughtful interaction/intimacy with One True God (primarily via the Holy Spirit). Thankful to be a tall two year child of God, who is willing to review/revise my imperfect knowledge (and actions) so can become more pleasing to God by truly Loving God and one another. <3

Keep Smiling :smile:

• @Keep_Smiling_4_Jesus said:

@Wolfgang said:

Habakkuk 2:4 (CJB) "Look at the proud: he is inwardly not upright; but the righteous will attain life through trusting faithfulness." that is reflected in Hebrew 11:1-6 (CJB) "Trusting is being confident of what we hope for, convinced about things we do not see. It was for this that Scripture attested the merit of the people of old. By trusting, we understand the universe was created through a spoken word of God, so that what is seen did not come into being out of existing phenomena. By trusting, Hevel offered a greater sacrifice than Kayin; because of this, he was attested as righteous, with God giving him this testimony on the ground of his gifts. Through having trusted, he still continues to speak, even though he is dead. By trusting, Hanokh was taken away from this life without seeing death - 'He was not to be found, because God took him away' - for he has been attested as having been, prior to being taken away, well pleasing to God. And without trusting, it is impossible to be well pleasing to God, because whoever approaches him must trust that he does exist and that he becomes a Rewarder to those who seek him out."

What point are you trying to make, @Keep_Smiling_4_Jesus with your various passages on "trusting" ("believing") ? Are you trying to indicate or imply that "trusting/believing" is in fact something that accepts irrational, illogical and unreasonable contradictory sayings as true ??

• @Wolfgang said:

@Keep_Smiling_4_Jesus said:

@Wolfgang said:

What point are you trying to make, @Keep_Smiling_4_Jesus with your various passages on "trusting" ("believing") ? Are you trying to indicate or imply that "trusting/believing" is in fact something that accepts irrational, illogical and unreasonable contradictory sayings as true ??

Personally have experienced immense difficulty trying to love what the mind rejects as irrational, illogical, and/or unreasonable contradictory sayings. Thankful God answers prayer, which includes "Open my eyes so that I will see wonders from your Torah" Psalm 119:18 (CJB). My investigation has included questioning my past for the purpose of setting aside falsehood (lies masquerading as irrational, ...) so can truly experience God's Love <3 God's Love is truly awesome and amazing <3 so looking forward to my glorified body in God's Holy presence while enjoying God's Love now <3
    Thankful for Paul's prayer in Ephesians 3:41-21 including exhortation to search every dimension for God's Love <3 Searching down from my position on earth comes up on the other side of the planet <3
    Trusting (believing) in Truth of God's Love by a person sets that person free to Love God with everything so can Love every person alive as God Loves <3 God's Holy redemption plan from sin includes Faith (Forsaking All I Trust Him) <3 God has provided the Way (Holy blood shed once for all by Jesus) for sinners to become Holy in God's sight o:)

Evidence procedures and processes used in courts today to prove murder can be applied to Jesus, which has sufficient evidence beyond a shadow of a doubt that Jesus lived, died, and rose from the dead. Recommend reading Josh McDowell's biography. Josh was a law student who investigated Jesus with the purpose of making an intellectual joke of Christianity. Josh McDowell wrote "Evidence that demands a verdict" Starting as an atheist legal journalist, Lee Strobel investigated Jesus Christ, which became many Case for Christ books and movies. Cold case detective James Wallace also investigated Jesus Christ, which has the same conclusion about evidence being credible.

• Keep_Smiling_4_Jesus
    Keep_Smiling_4_Jesus Posts: 1,134
    edited January 2019

@Keep_Smiling_4_Jesus said:
    Thankful for Paul's prayer in Ephesians 3:41-21 including exhortation to search every dimension for God's Love <3 Searching down from my position on earth comes up on the other side of the planet <3

Typing comments proves my humanity (fingers flipping digits) since Ephesians 3:41-21 should have been Ephesians 3:14-21 (noticed past edit time limit)

• C Mc

@Wolfgang said:

@C_M_ said: Have you ever heard of a figure of speech?

In light of what I have written in many posts which I have contributed here, do you think I have ever heard of a figure of speech? :smile::wink::smile:

Of course, you knew that was a rhetorical question.

God is a Spirit and He dwells in man through his word. When man's will, combines with God's will. Faith, knowledge, will, obedience, ere goes the Christian. CM

So then, there really is no 3rd God-person "Holy Spirit" living inside a believer?

Also, have you heard of a figure of speech by which something is spoken of as if it were a person (such as "wisdom" as "a woman")? ...

No, it's not lost on me. Anthropomorphism is "the attribution of human traits, emotions, or intentions to non-human entities". For example: In Ezk 6, YHWH openly exposes his emotional turmoil. He allows himself to be vulnerable and resorts to anthropomorphic language to portray the hurt he is experiencing by being dumped by his estranged partner. YHWH here expresses his innermost feelings and the pain caused by Israel‘s unfaithfulness. Hummel observes that ―God was (anthropopathically) = heartbroken‘ at their prostitution.

More the next time. CM

SOURCE:

-- Hummel, Horace D. Ezekiel 1–20. St. Louis: Concordia, 2005, 203

• C Mc

Words from an unknown Scholar:

The Holy Spirit is the Third Person of the Godhead. When today, we use the word "person", we refer to one who is not only distinct but separate from others. This is not the meaning of the term when used in connection with the Trinity. Christians do not worship three Gods, but One who is manifest in the Father, Son, and Spirit. The members of the Trinity are distinct, but never separate—they are not three in the same sense that they are one. As seen and thought, God is three; as seeing and thinking He is one. While there are three divine organs of God-consciousness, there is but one center of divine self-consciousness. Every activity on the part of the Son or the Spirit is also the work of the Father.

This complexity should not surprise us. When we investigate the living organisms which surround us we find that the higher we go in the scale of life the more complex is the nature of that life, while the organism which is the simplest is also that which is lowest in the scale. The nature of God must inevitably surpass the nature of man infinitely.

The Father should be thought of as God OVER us, the Son as God FOR us in the Father's presence, but the Spirit as God IN us. He operates as it were as the very Finger of God reaching down to the creature and creating life both physical and spiritual. He conveys to us the blessings devised and procured through the Father and the Son. Says one writer: "The infinite Power that is everywhere present, the reality of which the energy and life of nature are the manifestations, is the Spirit of God. He is the substratum of the human spirit, the light of our intellectual seeing, the source of all that is pure and holy in us."

For practical purposes, that which we most need to know about, the Holy Spirit is found in John's Gospel, chapters 14-16, and in Romans chapter 8. Here we learn that He is to the believer what Christ was to the disciples when on earth. He is God with us, guiding, consoling, strengthening. He is mediated to us through our study of the Scriptures reverently, prayerfully, obediently. He comes to us as the sap in the vine (John 15) crowding off the dead leaves of the old life and creating the fruit of the new life. We receive the Holy Spirit as soon as we believe in Christ as our personal Saviour. (Acts 2:37-39; Romans 5:1-5; Acts 5:32.) CM

SOURCE:
    -- Lewis F Stearns. Present day theology: A popular discussion of leading doctrines of the Christian faith – 1895, pg 206

• C Mc

In an earlier post, I define the word, Anthropomorphism. It is "the attribution of human traits, emotions, or intentions to non-human entities". For example: In Ezk 6, YHWH openly exposes his emotional turmoil. He allows himself to be vulnerable and resorts to anthropomorphic language to portray the hurt he is experiencing by being dumped by his estranged partner. YHWH here expresses his innermost feelings and the pain caused by Israel‘s unfaithfulness...

In re-reading this thread, I want to follow-up on Anthropomorphism usage in the Bible, in light of God, in relating to man.

The subtle evoking of imprisonment imagery in v. 14 to נְצ ֹר (“to guard”) the tongue from causing damage expresses the immobilizing power of evil against doing good (cf. Ps 141:3). In v. 16 the “eyes and ears” are used anthropomorphically to point to the observance and cognizance of the needs of the faithful and the deeds of the wicked. Jacobson noted that three nominal clauses which reference Yahweh’s face (vv. 16–17a) are governed by prepositions in relation to Yahweh. deClaissé–Walford et al., The Book of Psalms, 328.

The "concept of the face of God or being” ִל ְפני ֱאלֹ ִהים (“before God,” “in his presence”)
    • In the Psalter either elicits blessings (Pss 11:7; 42:3; 56:14; 61:8; 68:4) or
    • Negative judgment (Pss 27:9; 68:3; 114:7). Cf. Brown, Seeing the Psalms, 169–175.

Both facets of being in God’s presence are expressed in moral terms.] His eyes and ears communicate the anthropomorphic depictions of Yahweh's care and scrutiny (vv. 16-17).

When God came in judgment, He appeared in a threatening guise:

• "To Joshua", God appeared as a fierce warrior (Josh 5:13-15). Such frightening judgmental theophanies brought both a curse and fear of God’s enemies and blessing and comfort to God’s people (Nah 1:1-9).
    • “To Abraham”, God appeared as a messenger (Gen 18:1-15).
    • Many times, when biblical writers described God, they used anthropomorphic imagery – describing God’s being, actions, and emotions in human terms. [T. Longman, ‘Anthropomorphism’, in S.B. Ferguson & D.F. Wright (Eds.), New Dictionary of Theology. Downers Grove, ILL: 2005: 681].
    • God “appeared to Manoah and his wife” as an angel (Judges 13). Bible scholars generally believe that the “angel of the Lord” appearing or mentioned several times “in the Old Testament is the pre-incarnate Christ”. Such theophanies are specifically referred to as Christophanies. While Christ is never referred to as the angel of the Lord, this meaning is read backward into the Old Testament from the New Testament since no one has seen God the Father, but the Son (John 1: 18).

God also appeared to people in non-human form.

• To Abraham God appeared as a smoking firepot with a blazing torch (Gen 15:17).
    • To Moses God appeared as the angel of the LORD in flames of fire (Exod 3:2).
    • In several instances, God demonstrated His presence and authority over the elements of nature to demonstrate that He possessed power to protect and bless His people Israel.
    • Early Hebrew poetry depicted God as coming in the storm to conquer and judge his enemies and to deliver and protect His people.
    • The Old Testament prophets utilized theophany imagery in describing.
    • God appears in a storm and uses its elements as weapons.

The word ’aph in Exod 15:8 refers not only anthropomorphically to Yahweh’s “nostrils” but also indicates divine wrath. See, e.g., Martin L. Brenner, The Song of the Sea: Ex 15:1-21 (Berlin: Walter de Gruyter, 1991), 101.

• Who recognizes that the term ’aph indicates “both nostrils and anger”.
    • See also, Durham, “Exodus”, who translates v. 8 as “in the wind of your anger”.
    • Terrence E. Fretheim, Exodus, Interpretation (Louisville: John Knox Press, 1991), 167: “vs. 8 is likely understood as a subduing of chaos, in the sense of bringing it under control to be used by Yahweh (cf. Ps 18:15—God’ anger is explicit here—a simple reference to wind will not do; 33:7)”.
    • Martin Noth, Exodus, Old Testament Library (Philadelphia: Westminster, 1962), 124: “the ‘blast of his nostrils’ (v. 8) refers to his raging anger”.
    • Robert L. Schreckhise, “The Rhetoric of the Expressions in the Song by the Sea (Exod 15, 1- 18),” Scandinavian Journal of Theology 21/2 (2007): 208, who translates ’aph as “nostrils” but acknowledges that the relationship of ’aph “to the idea of anger is also accepted.” Note also that the LXX translates ’aph in this verse by thymos, “wrath.”

• C Mc

The almost forgotten OP: The Holy Spirit [The Biblical View] -- Intelligent Being, Influence (“It”) or God?

@C_M_ said:

...what does the Bible teaches about the Holy Spirit?

@Wolfgang said:

“None of these terms are speaking about “God-Persons”, but they are descriptive terms used for the same one “Person” Who alone is the true God and to Whom all these terms refer.”

“I am amazed about your reading and comprehending ability ... which seems to actually be replaced by a rather wild imagination”.

“I believe the expression “the Holy Spirit” is a reference to God Himself ... similar to how God Himself is called “the Creator” because He created heavens and earth, or is called “the Almighty “….”

“None of these terms are speaking about “God-Persons,” but they are descriptive terms used for the same one “Person” Who alone is the true God and to Whom all these terms refer.”

@C Mc asked @Wolfgang:

Wolfgang, how do you define the “Holy Spirit”? CM

@Wolfgang responded:

“…the text and context would determine the meaning of the particular usage ...”

You are so Right, Wolfgang! This is why I must remain all that The Holy Spirit is a Personal Being:

• a.  Some have questioned whether the Holy Spirit is a distinct person or only the “power” or “force” of God.
      • There are a number of verses where the Holy Spirit is mentioned together with the Father and the Son (Matt 28:191 Cor 12:4-62 Cor 13:14).
      • This indicates that the Father and the Son are persons, the Holy Spirit, therefore should also be a person.
    • b.  Frequently, the masculine pronoun “he” is used about the Holy Spirit (John 14:2615:2616:13,14), although the word for Spirit is in Greek (pneuma) is neuter and not masculine.
    • c.  The word “counselor” or “comforter” (parakletos) uniformly refers to a person, not a force.
    • d.  The Holy Spirit According to Scripture:

----- 1. Speak (Acts 8:29)

----- 2. Teach (John 14:26)

----- 3. Bear witness (John 15:26)

----- 4. Intercede on behalf of others (Rom 8:26-27)

----- 5. Distribute gifts to others (1 Cor 12:11)

----- 6. To forbid or allow certain things (Acts 16:6-7). 

----- 7. According to Ephesians 4:30, the Holy Spirit can also be grieved by people.

All these activities are characteristic of a person not a force. See https://www.christiandiscourse.net/discussion/346/the-holy-spirit-the-biblical-view-intelligent-being-influence-it-or-god

Now, let’s consider the role of this divine, intelligent being, the Holy Spirit:

• The underlying unity of the Bible was brought about by the direct role of the Holy Spirit in the production of the Scriptures

Paul says in 2 Timothy 3:16 (NRSV) that 

“All Scripture is inspired by God.” 

Peter adds that 

“no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation, for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke moved by the Holy Spirit” (2 Peter 1:20, 21, NKJV)

Since it was the Holy Spirit who generated the unity of the Word of God, only He can enlighten our minds so that we might perceive the unity that undergirds the Bible. 

Christ promised His disciples that the Holy Spirit would come to guide them: 

“into all the truth” (John 16:13, NRSV). 

Paul explains that

“The Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual” (1 Corinthians 2:13, NKJV).

So, you see, @Wolfgang, “the text and context” shows God the Holy Spirit. Our God is One. @BroRando, what do the JWs and the NWT has to say about God the Holy Spirit? CM

SOURCE:

• Even-Shoshan, Abraham. 1993. A New Concordance of the Old Testament. Jerusalem, Israel: Kiryat Sefer Publishing House, (1993:69-74).
  • C Mc

@Wolfgang said:

A study of the about 385 occurrences of the Greek word πνεῦμα for “spirit” and observing its usage and use in the different contexts will provide a better and true understanding

He may have to come back to mine to two sources beloved to unearth other truths. I wished @Wolfgang was still here to behold the Bible’s revelation of the Holy Spirit and be convicted by Him. The New Testament passages show where the Greek word pneuma (“spirit”) functions as the agent of actions or situations connected to a word, phrase, or sentence of other texts.

We have seen these texts before, the application of two tools give us a greater appreciation of them (See Sources):

• Romans 8:26 -- “We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans” (NIV).
    • 1 Timothy 4:1 -- The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons” (NIV).
    • Hebrews 3:7 -- “So, as the Holy Spirit says: ‘Today, if you hear his voice,...” (NIV).
    • Hebrews 10:15, 17 -- “The Holy Spirit also testifies to us about this. First he says. . . . Then he adds: . . .” (NIV).

The above texts were from Paul’s writings. The Holy Spirit is further seen in Revelation:

Revelation 14:13 -- “Then I heard a voice from heaven say, ‘Write this: Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on.’ ‘Yes,’ says the Spirit, ‘they will rest from their labor, for their deeds will follow them.’”-- (NIV).

From this brief linguistic perspective, the Greek New Testament shows the divine person of the Holy Spirit. For example, in some contexts, hypo + genitive denotes agency. This structure is another valid linguistic argument in favor of the divine person of the Spirit; e.g.,

• Matt 4:1 -- “Jesus was led by the Spirit” (NIV).
    • Luke 2:26 -- “It had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit” (NIV).
    • Acts 13:4 -- “sent on their way by the Holy Spirit” (NIV).
    • Acts 16:6 -- “having been kept by the Holy Spirit from preaching the word in the province of Asia” (NIV).
    • 2 Peter 1:21 -- “spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit” (NIV).

It is well known; there are other essential elements—like “grieving,” “comforting,” “guiding,” “teaching,” etc. — that also describe the Spirit’s personhood. The Bible writers didn’t have a problem using the word pneuma (“spirit”) operates as the subject of verbs that, in light of their contexts to reveal the authoritative and sensitive personhood of the Holy Spirit.

In light of the above, how can one still say Holy Spirit is not a Divine Being? How does one justify saying God the Holy Spirit is just “wind,” “an influence,” a figure of speech, etc.? Truth found truth shared. CM

SOURCES:

• Carl Pollard and Ivan Sag, Head-Driven Phrase Structure Grammar, Studies in Contemporary Linguistics (Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press, 1994).
      • Information on the grammatical approach behind Cascadia Syntax Graphs of the New Testament.
    • Johannes P. Louw and Eugene A. Nida, Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament: Based on Semantic Domains, 2nd ed., 2 vols. (New York: United Bible Societies, 1996), 1:387–444.
      • Information on the Greek words that conform to the semantic domain “Communication”.
  • Truth
    Truth Posts: 521

In a way it doesn't seem fair that Wolfgang now can read all this but can't feed anything back. On the other hand, God sometimes stops the mouths even of lions. Then with others He works differently. Toxic as their error may be, They are compelled to continually return with their toxicity--but on the delightful bright side, that is precisely what exposes them to God's Truth from His Word! I am pretty sure that even a bot-man might absorb a little Truth.

So it's all good!

• C Mc

@Truth said:

In a way it doesn't seem fair that Wolfgang now can read all this but can't feed anything back.

If what you said above is true, it may be more painful for @Wolfgang to watch but can't respond. This is tantamount to putting food in a hungry man's mouth, and he can't chew and swallow. If he can read the post on CD, that is good. I want him to continue learning about who God is in His fullness.

Let's keep in mind; no one sent @Wolfgang away. It's of his own doing. I asked several times (short of begging) for him to stay. I am sure he's happy with his decision. Even now, @Wolfgang or any former posters can still be heard if they haven't been blocked or removed from the CD System. Like the Prodigal Son, @Wolfgang can always come home. CM

• C Mc

The Bible and the Holy Spirit testify about Jesus (John 5:39; 15:26). Can "it" or "an influence" testify? CM

• C Mc

A question for @BroRando:

Is Satan a personal being? If yes, what biblical texts (even JW books or NWT) or scholarly can you provide to make your case. CM

• C Mc
    edited December 2021

@BroRando,

If you are an excellent "Witness" for the WBTS and capable of answering questions intelligently, beyond JW's "rote" indoctrination, dispelling "bot-like" behavior, here are some unanswered questions in this thread alone:

1. So, you see,  @Wolfgang, "the text and context" shows God the Holy Spirit. Our God is One.  @BroRandowhat do the JWs and the NWT say about God the Holy Spirit? CM
    2.  How do you define the "Holy Spirit"?
    3. The Bible and the Holy Spirit testify about Jesus (John 5:3915:26). Can "it" or "an influence" testify?
    4. Is Satan a personal being? If yes, what biblical texts (even JW books or NWT) or scholarly can you provide to make your case.

I remain for your clear-eyed, non-JW's website dumping, concise responses. CM

• Truth
    Truth Posts: 521

@C Mc

You may be extraordinarily holy, but the level of toxicity on this forum does not appear to support human life.

I hope God’s best for you.