Please share your stories of God's Providence

The Tornado:

It was an unusually warm November day. I wanted to take advantage of it and ride my Whizzer motorbike through the countryside along my usual route. But as I prepared to leave I began noticing the wet leaves everywhere I looked, including the streets. I thought I could ride but it would be risky. And so I dropped the idea.

About the time I would have been halfway through the route, tornado sirens began howling. What? A tornado in November? I looked at the Internet radar and sure enough, an F4 headed straight for us.

The next several days while helping out in the clean-up crews, I realized I would have been in the path about the same time it went through. And you cannot outrun a tornado on a Whizzer through wet fields. Some would think it a coincidence or luck that I wasn’t there. But in my view of God’s providence, I clearly see his hand in this.

Comments

• GaoLu
    GaoLu Posts: 1,368

I would like to share, but lack time at the moment. Can I upload an encyclopedia of stories?

• Dave_L
    Dave_L Posts: 2,362

@GaoLu said:
    I would like to share, but lack time at the moment. Can I upload an encyclopedia of stories?

Please do, I thought you might have plenty to share.

• Dave_L

The Car with No Brakes:

Here's another example of God's providence. I have others too, but this one is really special to me.

I drove into the downtown area, parking in my dentist’s parking lot. After my check up, I pushed the clutch in while pressing the brake pedal. The brake pedal went clear to the floor. Not working at all, without any signs leading up to complete brake failure. I could have rear ended other cars, hit a train, or mowed down pedestrians had the brakes not failed then and worked only one more time! The Lord providentially called my attention to the brake problem in the safety of my dentist’s parking lot from where I received a tow to the repair shop.

• Dave_L

Have you ever been persecuted for the faith? I have another experience to share. After being promoted to the Plant Manager position in a small factory, I requested a factory wide raise for all employees. I thought I was stealing otherwise. I thought the pay did not match the amount of work being performed and it bothered my conscience.

The owners reluctantly came through. But soon after, a suitable replacement for my job arrived for me to train. In faith I gladly taught him all I kew. We are supposed to be as concerned about our enemy's well being as we are our own.

So after a couple of years the new manager was ready to take over. The Lord immediately opened another door of employment that led to profits and benefits over the next ten years that made it possible to retire early paying my own way.

There's a lot to this, but in following the Sermon on the Mount as my career (Matthew 6:24-34) I never missed a day's work from not having a job, Even though two major recessions shut down my employers. Both times, I stood there on closing day without any prospects, but going to work the following Monday.

• Dave_L
    edited July 2018

Plane tickets for a song.

This is another of my adventures in God’s providence.

In my early Christian experience I ran in Pentecostal circles. And this lasted until a pastor who hated his wife drove her away thinking she would divorce him and remarry. And thereby activate the Matthew 19:9 “except clause” loophole He thought this would allow him to remarry. She divorced and remarried, he remarried as planned, but this had a devastating effect on my faith. It knocked me out of the ring.

I knew Christ was real, but I could not find him in any of the churches I sampled. So I returned to my music career thinking if I ever did find the reality I expected, I would re-engage my efforts to follow him.

It wasn’t too long until I received an invitation through old friends, to join a recording group in London England. We moved there but knew as soon as we stepped off the plane it was a mistake. Drug abuse and hanky-panky were the norm. And I knew I would risk my marriage to remain.

Years before I wrote a song about a guy ditching it all and moving to the north woods to live off the land. And during off-hours with the band, I recorded it and some other songs. So after having quit the band, penniless and stranded, and needing a way back to the States, I played a taped copy for a publishing affiliate.

They were working on a project about – guess what? A movie about a guy ditching it all and moving to the north woods in Canada! The same theme of the Song I wrote years earlier.

They gladly bought the song and a few others, gave us plane tickets and a publishing contract and the rest is history.

I later heard the soundtrack lost out in a court battle with the owners of the original soundtrack, all common names in the pop music scene. But nonetheless, God's purpose had been served and we became all the wiser through it.

• GaoLu

"North! to Alaska. North! the rush is on." Remember Bradford Angier? "How to live in the woods on pennies a day?" I visited his home area, mostly under water now, a few times. Locals didn't have much time for him, and his real life didn't match his writing, but I LOVED his writing back in the day.

• Dave_L

@GaoLu said:
    "North! to Alaska. North! the rush is on." Remember Bradford Angier? "How to live in the woods on pennies a day?" I visited his home area, mostly under water now, a few times. Locals didn't have much time for him, and his real life didn't match his writing, but I LOVED his writing back in the day.

I think I'm familiar with his books, or some similar. I had a buddy that became a hermit in Alaska. Hunted and fished for some time miles apart from area towns.

• GaoLu
    edited July 2018
    My wife and I raised my kids in a log cabin on an island in the Little Su River in the Matsnuska-Susitna Valley. We weren’t really remote though. We had a railroad flatcar for a bridge and road access. Good years.

We were at the foot of the mountains below glaciers. A lot of stories to tell of those days and people.
  • Dave_L

@GaoLu said:
    My wife and I raised my kids in a log cabin on an island in the Little Su River in the Matsnuska-Susitna Valley. We weren’t really remote though. We had a railroad flatcar for a bridge and road access. Good years.

We were at the foot of the mountains below glaciers. A lot of stories to tell of those days and people.

Wow.................. What a precious set of memories you must have!