Do Christians Have Double Standard On Religious Violence?

Published on Mar 12, 2017 by the Young Turks on Youtube

The following is quoted/taken verbatim from Youtube:

White Evangelical Christians believe overwhelmingly that when I Christian commits an act of violence they are not a true Christian, but what about if a Muslim does? Cenk Uygur, Ana Kasparian, Ben Mankiewicz, and Amberia Allen, the hosts of The Young Turks, break it down. Tell us what you think in the comment section below. https://www.tytnetwork.com/go

“Most Americans do not see widespread support for extremism among Muslims living in the U.S. Overall, 40% say there is not much support for extremism among U.S. Muslims, while an additional 15% say there is none at all. About a quarter say there is a fair amount of support (24%) for extremism among U.S. Muslims; 11% say there is a great deal of support.

The share of adults saying there is not much or no support for extremism among U.S. Muslims is 9 percentage points higher than in 2011 (54% today, 45% in July 2011).

Comments

• Dave_L
    Dave_L Posts: 2,362

I think Muslims evaluating their history would be as easy on themselves as Christians evaluating their own history. Possibly each would discount their violence while focusing on the violence of the other.

But christendom still has the same dangerous element, and perhaps more than it did in the time of the reformation and the times leading up to it. Especially if we consider Dispensationalism and it's call for violence in behalf of Israel.

• Jan
    Jan Posts: 301

A lot of violence has been committed in the name of Christ, and to this day this is one of the reasons why it is so hard for Jews to trust in Christ, who faced forced conversions, persecution and death under his name for centuries.

All violence needs to be condemned, Muslim, Christian, atheist (atheists tend to forget that under atheist regimes in the 20th century more people were murdered than by Christians in 2000 years of history).

The NT sets a clear standard concerning violence and warfare. Matthew 5:39-49 Luke 22:38

• Dave_L

@Jan said:
    A lot of violence has been committed in the name of Christ, and to this day this is one of the reasons why it is so hard for Jews to trust in Christ, who faced forced conversions, persecution and death under his name for centuries.

All violence needs to be condemned, Muslim, Christian, atheist (atheists tend to forget that under atheist regimes in the 20th century more people were murdered than by Christians in 2000 years of history).

The NT sets a clear standard concerning violence and warfare. Matthew 5:39-49 Luke 22:38

Great points. I think Christians fall into error when asking WWJD. Because all have a different idea of Jesus. The Catholic Jesus murdered millions. The Protestant Jesus murdered thousands. And the Evangelical or KKK Jesus is capable of similar evils.

But if we know Jesus IS God, and God is love, we can safely ask "what would love do"? and find a much different Jesus than what many offer today.

If love is our motive, Jesus is Lord of our life. And love tells us what to do at every fork in the road. This is the Jesus of the Bible.

• Jan

@Dave_L said:
    But if we know Jesus IS God, and God is love, we can safely ask "what would love do"? and find a much different Jesus than what many offer today.

If love is our motive, Jesus is Lord of our life. And love tells us what to do at every fork in the road. This is the Jesus of the Bible.

And that includes loving the LBTQXYZ people (not their lifestyle, but the people). Even if they despise us. Something we tend to forget easily.

• Dave_L
    edited June 2018

@Jan said:

@Dave_L said:

And that includes loving the LBTQXYZ people (not their lifestyle, but the people). Even if they despise us. Something we tend to forget easily.

This is true. But I think many Christians develop self-righteous attitudes and become judgmental. It works like this. The Pharisees thought they were good because they did not commit the sins they wanted to. But if they were honestly good, they would not want to sin. So they were bad people trying not to do bad things, while thinking themselves good for trying. I think this is also true of many legalistically minded christians.

But the New Birth provides a new nature that abhors sin and flees from it. I don't want to do those things because they are a real downer. I lose my peace of mind, joy, and fellowship with God even thinking about it. Not because I'm better than anyone else, but because God gave me a new nature that abhors and overcomes sin. So I try to share this found happiness with all who spend their lives looking for happiness in all the wrong places.

• Mitchell
    Mitchell Posts: 668

@Dave_L said:
    I think many Christians develop self-righteous attitudes and become judgmental.

I agree, and this is precisely one of the reasons it makes little sense to attack the niche Pharisee group who no longer exist while ignoring the contemporary sea of so-called 'Christians' and 'atheist' who have a much, much. much wider audience and influence on the world than the Pharisee ever had.

• Dave_L

@Mitchell said:

@Dave_L said:
    I think many Christians develop self-righteous attitudes and become judgmental.

I agree, and this is precisely one of the reasons it makes little sense to attack the niche Pharisee group who no longer exist while ignoring the contemporary sea of so-called 'Christians' and 'atheist' who have a much, much. much wider audience and influence on the world than the Pharisee ever had.

This is true if you fail to understand that most of the world's suffering under terrorism stems from the Jews who did not accept Christ and acclimate into christendom with the rest of the thousands of Jews who did.

Had they accepted Christ, no suffering under 114 different nations since AD 70, or from the Catholics and Protestants, no Holocaust, and ............

“He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.” (John 3:36)

But we know God brings many to faith in Christ for the Father's sakes, and this will continue until the end of the world.

• Jan

To me it seems quite outlandish to shift the responsibility of terrorism away from the terrorists to the victims.

Additionally, a lot of ancient antijudaism was not based on their rejection of Jesus the Messiah, but on their rejection to acknowledge Roman gods and other deities in the places where they settled.

Additionally, it was a Jewish woman who poisoned Muhammad so that he died at the age of 61. If that Jewish woman had not existed, and Muhammad had lived on to spread more hatred (in that case probably mainly towards Christians), we just don't know what would have happened.

• Dave_L

@Jan said:
    To me it seems quite outlandish to shift the responsibility of terrorism away from the terrorists to the victims.

Additionally, a lot of ancient antijudaism was not based on their rejection of Jesus the Messiah, but on their rejection to acknowledge Roman gods and other deities in the places where they settled.

Additionally, it was a Jewish woman who poisoned Muhammad so that he died at the age of 61. If that Jewish woman had not existed, and Muhammad had lived on to spread more hatred (in that case probably mainly towards Christians), we just don't know what would have happened.

I'm not shifting blame. I'm pinpointing the cause. If you get rolled walking in a seedy neighborhood that you could have avoided, you are still a victim, but the reason was because of your choice.