All Can Understand The Scriptures

C Mc
C Mc Posts: 4,463
edited April 2018 in Devotional Thoughts

Explaining Luther's thought on The "self-validation qualities of Scripture" which implies the essential clarity or understand-ability of Scriptures. Not only can everyone understand the Scripture but none of its portions is to be considered "dark." Klug writes: "Scripture stands in a light of its own, second to none, so bright, so pure, so full as to require no further illumination, certainly not from man." -- Eugene F. Klug, From Luther to Chemnitz: On Scripture and the Word [Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 1971], 96).

Nowhere is the clarity of Scripture more forcefully articulated than in Luther's Bondage of the Will, where he responds to the contention by Erasmus that some passages of Scriptures are recondite and rather unclear. Luther responds that it is a "shameless blasphemy" to deny the perfect clarity and plainness of the Scriptures. While he will grant that some passages in Scriptures are obscure and hard to elucidate, Luther argues that the difficulty rests in "our own linguistic and grammatical ignorance" or is due to "our own blindness and dullness". For him, none of the difficult passages is in any way to prevent our knowing all the contents of Scripture, if only we seek to understand the "dark" passages in the light of the "bright" ones. Drill down deep into the Word. CM

SOURCES:
-- Martin Luther on the Bondage of the Will, trans. J. I. Packer and O. R. Johnston [Westwood, NJ: Fleming H. Revell Co., 1957], 70-72; 128-129; cf. LW,
-- Martin Luther, Luther's Works, 55 vols., ed. Jaroslav Pelikan and Helmut Lehmann [St. Louis, MO: Concordia Publishing House, 1955-1976], 24:92).

Comments

• Dave_L
    Dave_L Posts: 2,362

I think Luther got it right on some things, but Jesus had to open the OT Scriptures to the disciples before they could understand them.

Jesus said unless a person is born again, they cannot see the Kingdom of God. And the most popular millennial theories are blind to the kingdom, now present. They continue looking for a future physical kingdom in this present world that will never exist.

• C Mc
    edited April 2018

Just a few pointers on How to understand the Bible:

1. One must be aware of his or her attitude is important to understand the Bible (Prov. 28:5).
    2. One should pray before opening the Bible pages.
    3. Understand that the guidance of the Holy Spirit is essential in Bible study (1 Cor. 2:11-14). Divine author, Divine illuminator.
    4. The Bible is of unique character. Ordinary means of investigation are inadequate. e.g. The three-dimensional motion pictures that require special glasses to bring each scene into focus. God provides special glasses for us through the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
    5. To get the most from the Bible, Scripture needs to be compared with scripture in order for us to get all of God's counsel on a topic being studied (Isa. 28:10, 13). We must understand passages in their context. We shouldn't make the passage say something that God never intended it to say.
    6. The better we're acquainted with God's will, we can expect changes in our lives (Heb. 4:12).
    7. Daily Bible study is important to the Christian (Jer. 9:23, 24; Acts 17:10, 11). We should seek to learn something every day from the Bible.
    8. The Bible speaks for its self about the importance of studying:
      -- Psalm 119:105
      -- Psalm 119:165
      -- Matt 4.4
      -- John 5:24
      -- Rom. 10:17

As a sweetener, there's value to be found in memorizing portions of the Bible (Psalm 119:11). CM

• Dave_L
    Dave_L Posts: 2,362

@C_M_ said:

1. One must be aware of his or her attitude is important to understand the Bible (Prov. 28:5).
    3. Understand that the guidance of the Holy Spirit is essential in Bible study (1 Cor. 2:11-14). Divine author, Divine illuminator.
    4. The Bible is of unique character. Ordinary means of investigation are inadequate. e.g. The three-dimensional motion pictures that require special glasses to bring each scene into focus. God provides special glasses for us through the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
    5. To get the most from the Bible, Scripture needs to be compared with scripture in order for us to get all of God's counsel on a topic being studied (Isa. 28:10, 13). We must understand passages in their context. We shouldn't make the passage say something that God never intended it to say.
    6. The better we're acquainted with God's will, we can expect changes in our lives (Heb. 4:12).
    7. Daily Bible study is important to the Christian (Jer. 9:23, 24; Acts 17:10, 11). We should seek to learn something every day from the Bible.
    8. The Bible speaks for its self about the importance of studying:
      -- Matt 4.4

As a sweetener, there's value to be found in memorizing portions of the Bible (Psalm 119:11). CM

Thanks!

• @C_M_ said:

I agree that an attitude of meekness and willingness to seek and accept truth are essential to arrive at the place of understanding the Biblical Scriptures correctly.

1. Understand that the guidance of the Holy Spirit is essential in Bible study (1 Cor. 2:11-14). Divine author, Divine illuminator.

Is this what 1Co 2:11-14 is really speaking about?` Is it speaking about readers of the Bible needing the Holy Spirit in order to understand the words written on the page?

1. The Bible is of unique character. Ordinary means of investigation are inadequate. e.g. The three-dimensional motion pictures that require special glasses to bring each scene into focus. God provides special glasses for us through the guidance of the Holy Spirit

So then, first the Holy Spirit must decide to guide me and tell me what the words and the statement "In the beginning God created heavens and the earth" means? what is this "guidance of the Holy Spirit" to which you are referring?

1. To get the most from the Bible, Scripture needs to be compared with scripture in order for us to get all of God's counsel on a topic being studied (Isa. 28:10, 13). We must understand passages in their context. We shouldn't make the passage say something that God never intended it to say.

Indeed ... and I would caution that pre-conceived denominational theologies and dogmas together with "church peer pressure" are great obstacles.

1. The better we're acquainted with God's will, we can expect changes in our lives (Heb. 4:12).

Changes in our lives are dependent on our decisions and our will ... when we have Godly information and instruction we can change our lives into that direciton, when we have wordly information and instruction, there would be no direction for a change in a Godly direction.

1. Daily Bible study is important to the Christian (Jer. 9:23, 24; Acts 17:10, 11). We should seek to learn something every day from the Bible.

I would broaden this a bit and instead of daily Bible study rather speak of daily occupation with Biblical truth ... I need not sit down and open a Bible and read some verses every day ... but I need to occupy my mind with Godly thoughts and truths from the Bible ... perhaps I have read the passage upon which I spend time meditating and thinking about today more than a month ago ...

1. The Bible speaks for its self about the importance of studying:
      -- Matt 4.4

Some of these are not necessarily about "studying the Bible", but in a more general way about learning God's Word and truth.

I agree .. the truths I have learned to the point of knowing them by heart are with me, those I do not know by heart, are on a piece of paper or on some electronic device and won't do me any good when I don't have the paper or electronic device with me...
    I doubt Jesus was carrying a lot of scrolls around in the desert when he was tempted by the adversary ... but he certainly had "God's Word" with him in his heart and thus was able to counter the temptations by the devil with "It is written: .....:"

• C Mc
    edited April 2018

@Wolfgang said:

@C_M_ said:

Is this what 1Co 2:11-14 is really speaking about?` Is it speaking about readers of the Bible needing the Holy Spirit in order to understand the words written on the page?

No, but the deeper meaning behind the words on the pages. That is the meaning beyond human ability to think, process, discern and comprehend.

1. The Bible is of unique character. Ordinary means of investigation are inadequate. e.g. The three-dimensional motion pictures that require special glasses to bring each scene into focus. God provides special glasses for us through the guidance of the Holy Spirit

So then, first the Holy Spirit must decide to guide me and tell me what the words and the statement "In the beginning, God created heavens and the earth" means? what is this "guidance of the Holy Spirit" to which you are referring?

Wolfgang, we’re to compare scripture with scripture until a subject is clearly understood. The man may understand the things of a man, but to understand the things of God one must have the aid of the Holy Spirit. Spiritual things are spiritually discerned.

There is the precious promise that the Holy Spirit will 
teach and guide the seeker after truth (John 
14:26; 16:13, 14). 
This study of the Holy Scriptures will make 
one "wise unto salvation" 
(2 Tim. 3:15; Acts 20:32).

If we meet the conditions, earnestly seek after 
knowledge and understanding, then we shall 
know and understand (Prov. 2:1-6). 
Such a knowledge is worth more than worldly wisdom, might, or riches (Jer. 9:23, 24). I hope this helps. CM