The 2020 Census

Can someone please explain to me how asking "Are you a United States Citizen" on a United States Census is in any way remotely controversial?

The better question is, why was it not already on there? The answer, it used to be and was never a problem.

Comments

• @davidtaylorjr said:
    Can someone please explain to me how asking "Are you a United States Citizen" on a United States Census is in any way remotely controversial?

there are too many illegals in the USA ... and some of the donkeys and elephants are yet undecided what to do about them ... a census showing far more non-USA citizens living in the USA than are registered with the "homeland" folks, there would be a bit of a problem and some explaining to do :wink:

• GaoLu
    GaoLu Posts: 1,368
    edited March 2018

I think (??) the issue may be that in some places like CA especially, the question may result in illegals not answering the census. If those regions want anything like reasonable census results, then the question is better off not there.

I think that speaks to a situation where the government has very strong reason to be frightened by the effect of that census question due to the inevitable exposure of:

1) Economic disaster of losing illegal workers they know are there and need
    2) The sway of political voting by great numbers of non-citizen, illegal voters