Eschatological Worldviews

I believe eschatology affects the way we interpret and react to current events. We see prophecy unfolding before our eyes. And instead of eschatology being among the "non-essentials" of the faith, it is a large part of our belief system, making much of what we believe true or false.

What thoughts run through your mind as you watch the news? What do you expect to happen next in events leading up to the end? If you subscribe to an eschatological position, what is it and why?

For starters, I hold a modified Amillennial position. so I see Revelation 20 as an outline covering the period between Christ's first and second advent. And think we might be in the Revelation 20:7 and following stages of the vision. In what many today call the post Christian era.

Any thoughts or shared views appreciated.

Comments

• dct112685
    dct112685 Posts: 1,114

I am Pre-Trib.

However, I don't see masses of people putting End Times theology as an essential to their belief system. Not saying it doesn't happen, just saying it isn't wide-spread.

Any reasonable pastor, theologian, etc, will admit we don't fully know/understand end times theology completely.

• Dave_L
    Dave_L Posts: 2,362

@davidtaylorjr said:
    I am Pre-Trib.

However, I don't see masses of people putting End Times theology as an essential to their belief system. Not saying it doesn't happen, just saying it isn't wide-spread.

Any reasonable pastor, theologian, etc, will admit we don't fully know/understand end times theology completely.

One problem is the Gospel of the Kingdom. Present VS future making two different gospels of the Kingdom.

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:
    I am Pre-Trib.

One problem is the Gospel of the Kingdom. Present VS future making two different gospels of the Kingdom.

I have addressed this in the other thread. I believe there is both physical and spiritual. But I'm not sure what that has to do with what I actually posted in response to you.

• Dave_L

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:
    I am Pre-Trib.

I have addressed this in the other thread. I believe there is both physical and spiritual. But I'm not sure what that has to do with what I actually posted in response to you.

The "millennial" Kingdom gospel is not what Jesus preached. It is a different gospel.

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:
    I am Pre-Trib.

The "millennial" Kingdom gospel is not what Jesus preached. It is a different gospel.

That's debated Dave.

• Dave_L

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:
    I am Pre-Trib.

That's debated Dave.

There is no mention of a millennial kingdom anywhere in scripture.

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:
    I am Pre-Trib.

That's debated Dave.

Sure there is Revelation 20

• Dave_L
    edited January 2018

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:
    I am Pre-Trib.

That's debated Dave.

But we must be careful not to add or take away from the book. And if Revelation depends on symbols as John says it does, we should be careful when forcing a literal interpretation into his vision.

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:
    I am Pre-Trib.

That's debated Dave.

But we must be careful not to add or take away from the book. And if Revelation depends on symbols as John says it does, we should be careful when forcing a literal interpretation into his vision.

Does all of Revelation depend on symbols? What are you referring to?

• Dave_L

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:
    I am Pre-Trib.

That's debated Dave.

In the context of Revelation 20 the angel, the serpent, the chain, the bottomless pit are all symbols. The 1000 years being among them is no doubt symbolic too.

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:
    I am Pre-Trib.

That's debated Dave.

In the context of Revelation 20 the angel, the serpent, the chain, the bottomless pit are all symbols. The 1000 years being among them is no doubt symbolic too.

Based on what? Could you be wrong?

• Dave_L

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:
    I am Pre-Trib.

That's debated Dave.

There is no mention of a millennial kingdom anywhere in scripture. And Revelation 20 certainly doesn't mention a kingdom.

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:
    I am Pre-Trib.

That's debated Dave.

There is no mention of a millennial kingdom anywhere in scripture. And Revelation 20 doesn't mention a kingdom either.

Kingdom: a country, state, or territory ruled by a king or queen. (source Google Definitions)

Christ the King reigns for 1000 years in Revelation 20, so YES it does mention a 1,000 year kingdom.

• Dave_L
    edited January 2018

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:
    I am Pre-Trib.

That's debated Dave.

There is no mention of a millennial kingdom anywhere in scripture. And Revelation 20 doesn't mention a kingdom either.

Kingdom: a country, state, or territory ruled by a king or queen. (source Google Definitions)

Christ the King reigns for 1000 years in Revelation 20, so YES it does mention a 1,000 year kingdom.

You are reading into the text. All of this is happening now, not sometime in the future in a physical kingdom.

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:
    I am Pre-Trib.

That's debated Dave.

You are reading into the text.

Most definitely not. That is clearly what it says. There is no reading into it at all Dave. Now whether or not that 1,000-year kingdom is literal or figurative can be debated, but you cannot dispute the fact that it is there.

• Dave_L
    edited January 2018

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:
    I am Pre-Trib.

That's debated Dave.

Most definitely not. That is clearly what it says. There is no reading into it at all Dave. Now whether or not that 1,000-year kingdom is literal or figurative can be debated, but you cannot dispute the fact that it is there.

Revelation 20 describes the spiritual kingdom outlined in the NT as a present reality. But it does not jive with a literal physical kingdom nowhere found in the NT.

Post edited by Dave_L on
  • dct112685

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:
    I am Pre-Trib.

That's debated Dave.

Revelation 20 describes the spiritual kingdom outlined in the NT as a present reality. But it does not jive with a literal physical kingdom nowhere found in the NT.

So then what are the 1,000 years?

• Dave_L
    edited January 2018

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:
    I am Pre-Trib.

That's debated Dave.

So then what are the 1,000 years?

What Jesus speaks of is a spiritual kingdom. He never mentions a future physical kingdom. In fact he says his kingdom is not of this world (age). That leaves only the new heavens and earth (the age ((world)) to come.) But a physical Millennium cannot exist there because of its sin, death and sickness. = The 1000 years is a symbol of Jesus' present reign.

Jesus said (present tense) ““The Law and the Prophets were until John; since then the good news of the kingdom of God is preached, and everyone forces his way into it.” (Luke 16:16)

Post edited by Dave_L on
  • Dave_L
    edited January 2018

Jesus spoke of his kingdom as a present reality. ““The Law and the Prophets were until John; since then the good news of the kingdom of God is preached, and everyone forces his way into it.” (Luke 16:16)

And he said his kingdom is not of this world (age). This leaves only the age (world) to come. And the physical Millennium with its sin and death cannot happen there. So either way, Jesus' kingdom (millennium) is not of this world, nor is it of the next.

The 1000 years are a symbol of his present reign. Just as the rest of the symbols pertain to it.

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:
    Jesus spoke of his kingdom as a present reality. ““The Law and the Prophets were until John; since then the good news of the kingdom of God is preached, and everyone forces his way into it.” (Luke 16:16)

And he said his kingdom is not of this world (age). This leaves only the age (world) to come. And the physical Millennium with its sin and death cannot happen there. So either way, Jesus' kingdom (millennium) is not of this world, nor is it of the next.

The 1000 years are a symbol of his present reign. Just as the rest of the symbols pertain to it.

Can't be. There is a huge problem with that idea. The nations are still being deceived by Satan.

• Dave_L

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

Can't be. There is a huge problem with that idea. The nations are still being deceived by Satan.

Christendom represents all nations and we can see the blessing of Abraham on all as a result of the spread of the gospel.

Satan lies, but the gospel is the antidote for his lies. And in this sense the gospel is the chain that binds him so he cannot deceive. The focus is on his not being able to deceive the elect from around the world.

And as I said earlier: I believe we are in the Revelation 20:7 stage of world history where Satan is loosed and once again deceives the world leading up to Christ's return.

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:

Christendom represents all nations and we can see the blessing of Abraham on all as a result of the spread of the gospel.

Satan lies, but the gospel is the antidote for his lies. And in this sense the gospel is the chain that binds him so he cannot deceive. The focus is on his not being able to deceive the elect from around the world.

And as I said earlier: I believe we are in the Revelation 20:7 stage of world history where Satan is loosed and once again deceives the world leading up to Christ's return.

That doesn't even make sense Dave. First, Christendom does not represent all nations and to say that is astounding.

Yes the gospel is the antidote, but that doesn't have anything to do with Satan being bound up. The gospel has been around since Abraham. He has never been able to deceive the Elect, that is why they are the Elect.

If we are in that stage of Revelation 20:7, when were the 1000 years? When in history was he bound up?

No, your claim doesn't even remotely work.

• Dave_L

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

That doesn't even make sense Dave. First, Christendom does not represent all nations and to say that is astounding.

Yes the gospel is the antidote, but that doesn't have anything to do with Satan being bound up. The gospel has been around since Abraham. He has never been able to deceive the Elect, that is why they are the Elect.

If we are in that stage of Revelation 20:7, when were the 1000 years? When in history was he bound up?

Christendom does not affect all nations positively?

The 1000 years are not literal. 1000 is a symbol for totality and completion elsewhere in scripture.

If Jesus says the truth will set you free, how can Satan the father of lies not be bound by the gospel?

Thanks for your replies. I forgot to say it's good hearing from you again.

• Dave_L

@ DT: (My reply function is not working correctly)

The 1000 years are not literal. 1000 is a symbol for totality and completion elsewhere in scripture.

If Jesus says the truth will set you free, how can Satan the father of lies not be bound by the gospel?

• Dave_L

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

• Dave_L

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said: