Talking To Demons -- A Way To Set A Person Free?

C Mc
C Mc Posts: 4,463
edited March 2018 in Biblical Studies

What is the best way to free a person from demon possession? Is it talking to the demon or commanding him to leave without know who he is? Is it important to know his name? There are two biblical examples of dialoguing with Demons. There are a few biblical examples of individuals entering into dialog with Satan or evil spirits. In Mark 5:1–20 and in the parallel passage in Luke 8:26–39. Can you expand upon these passages and cite other references to dialoguing with the devil or demons? What was the outcome? Should one talk or not talk? What say ye? CM

Comments

• Dave_L
    Dave_L Posts: 2,362
    edited March 2018

@C_M_ said:
    What is the best way to free a person from demon possession? Is it talking to the demon or commanding him to leave without know who he is? Is it important to know his name? There are two biblical examples of dialoguing with Demons. There are a few biblical examples of individuals entering into dialog with Satan or evil spirits. In Mark 5:1–20 and in the parallel passage in Luke 8:26–39. Can you expand upon these passages and cite other references to dialoguing with the devil or demons? What was the outcome? Should one talk or not talk? What say ye? CM

I think most Churches today overlook the fact that the majority of Christ's and the Apostles' ministries involved exorcism. And that Jesus' name alone can stir up quite a bit of commotion when aimed in that direction. But some of the charismatic sort have unwittingly gotten in over their heads wielding Jesus' name without understanding the principles of deliverance.

I think of the 7 sons of Sceva in Acts who got beat up using Jesus' name without having the know how.

A couple of times when in home prayer groups the discussion about demons provoked paralytic trances on some. I also think of the demonic manifestations provoked by the movie the Exorcist.

I know of one man who when commanded in Jesus' name to identify the spirits possessing him, listed murder, hatred, lust, etcetera, in a low trembling voice. Who a year later killed himself.

Jesus and the Apostles always looked for faith in a person before performing miracles. Or at least, faith in someone near to the victim they could honor. Simply because, Jesus paid only for the sins of believers. And there is no justification in healing those not atoned for.

• dct112685
    dct112685 Posts: 1,114

Are there examples of anyone other than Jesus (God) saying something and having a dialogue with the demons?

• GaoLu
    GaoLu Posts: 1,368

I wouldn't overthink it. Just do as God bids at the time.