What Are The Most Atheist Countries?

What Are The Most Atheist Countries? | NowThis World

Religion has played a major role in the development of the culture and society, but in recent years, more and more countries have turned their backs on the whole idea of believing in a central deity. So, which countries are the most atheist, and why?

Comments

• C Mc
    C Mc Posts: 4,463

Thanks, Mitchell for the clip and question. I don't have time to watch the video, just now (later). However, please consider this question until I do. You said in the OP, "more and more countries have turned their backs on the whole idea of believing in a central deity", I wonder why? Do you blame the churches practices or the various religious beliefs? CM

PS. My answer may be in the clip. CM

• GaoLu
    GaoLu Posts: 1,368

I think the new religious belief systems of our age are science and politics. Sometimes one or the other and sometimes a syncretism of the two. In both cases man is his own god. Atheism does not exist.

• C Mc

Mitch,
    The Bible must be produced and shared as much as possible. Christians make Christians. Those who are in the aforementioned countries must live their faith as disciples of Christ within the cultural makeup. Missionaries (indigenous and foreign) must live in the various countries and model Christianity-- "Incarnation Ministry" with "Critical Contextualization." These are the safest and most effective means of sharing Jesus. People who are willing to incarnate will be in those countries as leaven in bread. You may not see it, but it's very effective. Where are the incarnate Missionaries? I hope this helps? CM

• Mitchell
    Mitchell Posts: 668
    edited March 2018

@C_M_ said:
    You said in the OP, "more and more countries have turned their backs on the whole idea of believing in a central deity",

Those aren't my words, that is actually a quote taken directly from Youtube's page.
    It may be hard to tell, but it is in a gray box or the background in gray. I did not add a citation because I believed the linked video provided the reference. However, that was my mistake from now on I will be doing so. Never-the-less you ask a good question!

And, actually, I am not sure that I agree with the quote. For one, for a country to turn it's back on belief in a central deity it needs to be proven that the country as a whole actually held to the belief in a central deity. I am not sure if that can be proven or disproven. It is my opinion that individuals these days are more vocal and maybe honest about their disbelief. Having said that, not believing in a central deity is not the same as not believe in deities or being atheist.

I wonder why? Do you blame the churches practices or the various religious beliefs?

I blame neither. That is not to say that the Churches and certain beliefs are without problems. It is my opinion that the education programs or ministry of the Churches are rather weak and I believe local Churches often fail to offer support to individuals struggling with tough questions/issues. I know some have taken God's name in vain, have used what their interpretations of the Bible in attempt to support evil.

However, I do not blame the Church because I believe with all my heart that God is perfect regardless of the failings of the fallible congregations and individual Christians on earth. I think some use weak Christians (maybe false Christians) and weak Churches as an excuse to reject God with an extremely weak argument and reasoning.

I blame individual naivety caused by illogical reasoning, willful ignorance, and laziness.

@C_M_ said:
    Mitch,
    The Bible must be produced and shared as much as possible. Christians make Christians. Those who are in the aforementioned countries must live their faith as disciples of Christ within the cultural makeup. Missionaries (indigenous and foreign) must live in the various countries and model Christianity-- "Incarnation Ministry" with "Critical Contextualization." These are the safest and most effective means of sharing Jesus. People who are willing to incarnate will be in those countries as leaven in bread. You may not see it, but it's very effective. Where are the incarnate Missionaries? I hope this helps? CM

Thanks for sharing your response and thoughts. If there was a like button I would like your post. Let's talk about this more.

• C Mc

@Mitchell said:

@C_M_ said:
    You said in the OP, "more and more countries have turned their backs on the whole idea of believing in a central deity",

Those aren't my words, that is actually a quote taken directly from Youtube's page.

I am not blaming or beating you up over it. I was responding to the statement, unfortunately, in haste. Given that you were the author of the OP, this is why I addressed you. Keep it light, no attacks here. CM

It may be hard to tell, but it is in a gray box or the background in gray. I did not add a citation because I believed the linked video provided the reference. However, that was my mistake from now on I will be doing so. Never-the-less you ask a good question!

No apologies are needed. If the statement in the clip can be validated and there is proof they had opportunities and knowledge to accept or to know Jesus, that would be sad. Regardless, people are saved individually. Cultural plays a role in the timing and methods; whether they come in groups, families or individuals to Jesus, The Christ. Upon a second look, the statement in the gray box is a bit awkward. Notwithstanding the video clip provoked thoughts about how to bring Christ to the named areas. This was where my responses were focused. CM

And, actually, I am not sure that I agree with the quote. For one, for a country to turn it's back on belief in a central deity it needs to be proven that the country as a whole actually held to the belief in a central deity.

You're right. One can't reject what he or she never had or the opportunity to have.

I am not sure if that can be proven or disproven.

See my statement above.

It is my opinion that individuals these days are more vocal and maybe honest about their disbelief. Having said that, not believing in a central deity is not the same as not believe in deities or being atheist.

When I read "deity" in my mind is the Creator of the heavens and the earth.

I wonder why? Do you blame the churches practices or the various religious beliefs?

I blame neither. That is not to say that the Churches and certain beliefs are without problems. It is my opinion that the education programs or ministry of the Churches are rather weak and I believe local Churches often fail to offer support to individuals struggling with tough questions/issues. I know some have taken God's name in vain, have used what their interpretations of the Bible in attempt to support evil.

You make valid points in light of your observations.

However, I do not blame the Church because I believe with all my heart that God is perfect regardless of the failings of the fallible congregations and individual Christians on earth. I think some use weak Christians (maybe false Christians) and weak Churches as an excuse to reject God with an extremely weak argument and reasoning.

Again, you're closer to the truth than you are to error.

I blame individual naivety caused by illogical reasoning, willful ignorance, and laziness.

@C_M_ said:
    Mitch,

Thanks for sharing your response and thoughts. If there was a like button I would like your post. Let's talk about this more.

Absolutely. I am concern about the vast number of people who may not have had a chance to hear of Christ. Getting the message into the countries mentioned in the video clip is a challenge to all Christians and its organizations. What I have briefly laid out above are the surest way forward. Mitchell, whatever the nature of your work, where you are, live the Christian life. You are God's leaven. Blessings! CM

• Mitchell
    Mitchell Posts: 668

Greetings CM,

@C_M_ said:
    No apologies are needed.

Thank you, however, I should be more careful. Once, I was hard on someone for not citing his sources properly and now I am guilty of the same.

@C_M_ said:
    I am concern about the vast number of people who may not have had a chance to hear of Christ.

thank you for your detailed explanatory response (I mean the entirety of your message, not just the quote above). I agree with you and I wish more Churches would place a fouse on Biblical literary as well as discipleship.

@C_M_ said:
    Mitchell, whatever the nature of your work, where you are, live the Christian life. You are God's leaven. Blessings!

Currently, I work in a secular field. I sometimes feel I should or could be doing more.

• C Mc

@Mitchell said:
    Greetings CM,

@C_M_ said:
    No apologies are needed.

Thank you, however, I should be more careful. Once, I was hard on someone for not citing his sources properly and now I am guilty of the same.

Enough of this! We understand. You have not committed the "unpardonable sin" (morally or literary)." We're just flesh. If it will help, I grant you CD's absolutions. ;) CM

Currently, I work in a secular field. I sometimes feel I should or could be doing more.

You fit perfectly of what I made reference to in an earlier post. This is what "Incarnational Ministry" is all about. Do your "Secular" job the best of your abilities and live the Christian life in the community consistently. Make friends, develop relationships, share your faith in the Bible and Christ when the opportunity presents itself.

Living the Christian life of Prayer study, compassion, sharing, encouragement, befriending, assisting, etc.; are the hallmarks of the principles of what I speak. How you treat and relate to family members, too, is "incarnational living".

Sharing Christ is more than words. It's a way life. In a people-group culturally different from yours, more is modeled or caught, than taught. Your consistent lifestyle over time will provide you an opportunity to give a verbal witness for Christ, especially in countries referenced in the video clip. We are all seen and observed by someone (conscious and unconsciously) by others or another. If you get an opportunity to preach (group) and teach (individual or small group) do so. This is what a missionary would do, except full time while living expenses are covered by the sending organization. If self-motivated, one would become dual-vocational. Maybe I should have sent this in a PM, now that I know how to do it again. :) Happy living for Jesus! CM