Ravi Zacharias Vs. John Piper On Why God Allows Evil To Exist!

Why does God allow Evil to Exist? Who gives the best answer in your opinion? Or do you believe that both individuals are mistaken and that there remains a better answer?

Comments

• Dave_L
    Dave_L Posts: 2,362
    edited March 2018

Thanks! Interesting. I thought both did a good job presenting their views. I see evil somewhat differently. I believe God is presently creating the people for the new heavens and earth where evil will not exist. Where Jesus will be fully recognized as the savior of the world.

And evil is a necessary component of this creation. For one, had Adam (our representative) not sinned, we would have remained clothed in his finite earthly righteousness. But God stripped away all of Adam's righteousness and clothed us with his own infinite righteousness in Christ (our representative). In this, we can forever experience the results of God's righteousness without our actually being God.

Also, God's glory becomes visible against the backdrop of sin. There is no love, mercy, righteousness, goodness if there isn't any sin or evil to measure it by. And so the entire heavenly host understands God in ways never before possible without sin.

And it also reveals God's sovereignty over his creation. That from the same foul lump of sinful humanity he makes vessels of mercy while leaving vessels of wrath.

• Jan
    Jan Posts: 301

I believe John Piper doesn't have it right here. He doesn't solve the problem of theodicy (either God is not all-good -- omnibenevolent -- or he is not all-powerful -- omnipotent). If God, as Piper says, has ordained these 10,000 deaths, then he is not omnibenevolent.

By bringing up "free will", Ravi Zacharias gives the classic argument of apologetics concerning the theodicy problem. Only by allowing evil, and permitting us humans to commit evil deeds, God enables us to love.

I believe that God voluntarily gave up bits of his sovereignty to enable us to love him, and our neighbours. If God exercised his full sovereignty, evil would not exist, but we'd be mere puppets without the option to choose bad over good.

• GaoLu
    GaoLu Posts: 1,368

@Jan
    I wish there was a like button.

• Dave_L
    Dave_L Posts: 2,362
    edited March 2018

@Jan said:

By bringing up "free will", Ravi Zacharias gives the classic argument of apologetics concerning the theodicy problem. Only by allowing evil, and permitting us humans to commit evil deeds, God enables us to love.

This is where I disagree with Ravi and with this view in general. It turns love into an act of the will instead of recognising it as a condition of the heart. A loving heart makes loving choices. But if a heart must choose to love, it is because it isn't naturally loving. And must "act" loving. And this turns grace into law.