High Context vs Low Context Communication

Here is a brief video that attempts to illustrate the concept of High Context and Low Context Communication.

Comments

• Mitchell
    Mitchell Posts: 668

Here is a somewhat longer video on the same subject:

What Is The Difference Between a High-Context and Low-Context Culture?

• Dave_L
    Dave_L Posts: 2,362

Thanks, interesting. How do you apply this to bible study? I think books like the Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah by Edersheim help. Also Kittle uses street level definitions for ancient Greek in his dictionary. I think too of anthropomorphisms where the Lord takes on human characteristics in working through the prophets and people. He is seen to empathize as they do. To repent, to reconsider etc.

• Mitchell

@Dave_L said:
    Thanks, interesting. How do you apply this to bible study?

First, I regard this as useful knowledge for communication, not for personal or private Bible study per se. However, thanks for asking the question it is a fair one and I will attempt to answer it.

Second, I use this in much in the same way as I believe Paul did (1 Corinthians 9:19-23). Even though Paul was Jewish by birth and in training he still claims to become like the Jews to win the Jews. Now, since he was already Jewish that isn't much of claim, however, if what he meant was that he used familiar language, expressions, and or reasoning in order to reach his Jewish audience then I think it makes a lot more sense. To be sure in 1 Corinthian chapter 9 Paul mentions a lot of other types or groups of people that he 'becomes like'. in order to communicate the Gospel. And, do not actually think he turns into or pretends to be those people, but I think he attempts to relate the Gospel to those people based on the testimony of the book of Acts.

When I come to these forums I intentionally use American English and try my best to contextualize the message in a way I believe will be comprehensible and relatable to the members of this forum who I believe is made up mostly of Americans(but not all). I observe American spelling and idiomatic language.

Since I live in Japan, in general, I use Japanese, speak to people according to their social status as the Japanese language requires [(link1)] (https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Japanese/Grammar/Honorifics " (link1)") , pay close attention to Japanese non-verbal communication (link2), observe Japanese social etiquette, use Nemawashi when working with Japanese church staff and so on.

Of, course I believe that it is the Holy Spirit who opens peoples eyes, hearts, and minds.

• Dave_L
    Dave_L Posts: 2,362

@Mitchell said:

@Dave_L said:
    Thanks, interesting. How do you apply this to bible study?

First, I regard this as useful knowledge for communication, not for personal or private Bible study per se. However, thanks for asking the question it is a fair one and I will attempt to answer it.

Second, I use this in much in the same way as I believe Paul did (1 Corinthians 9:19-23). Even though Paul was Jewish by birth and in training he still claims to become like the Jews to win the Jews. Now, since he was already Jewish that isn't much of claim, however, if what he meant was that he used familiar language, expressions, and or reasoning in order to reach his Jewish audience then I think it makes a lot more sense. To be sure in 1 Corinthian chapter 9 Paul mentions a lot of other types or groups of people that he 'becomes like'. in order to communicate the Gospel. And, do not actually think he turns into or pretends to be those people, but I think he attempts to relate the Gospel to those people based on the testimony of the book of Acts.

When I come to these forums I intentionally use American English and try my best to contextualize the message in a way I believe will be comprehensible and relatable to the members of this forum who I believe is made up mostly of Americans(but not all). I observe American spelling and idiomatic language.

Since I live in Japan, in general, I use Japanese, speak to people according to their social status as the Japanese language requires [(link1)] (https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Japanese/Grammar/Honorifics " (link1)") , pay close attention to Japanese non-verbal communication (link2), observe Japanese social etiquette, use Nemawashi when working with Japanese church staff and so on.

Of, course I believe that it is the Holy Spirit who opens peoples eyes, hearts, and minds.

Thanks for sharing. I can relate to this in my limited exposure to various cultures.

• Mitchell

@Dave_L said:
    Thanks for sharing. I can relate to this in my limited exposure to various cultures.

Thank you for asking it was a very good question or a question with a great intent (scripture should always be at the forefront) and for the constant reminders of the importance of expressing myself in clear and concise language.