Why I love a country that once betrayed me | George Takei

When he was a child, George Takei and his family were forced into an internment camp for Japanese-Americans, as a "security" measure during World War II. 70 years later, Takei looks back at how the camp shaped his surprising, personal definition of patriotism and democracy.

TEDTalks is a daily video podcast of the best talks and performances from the TED Conference, where the world's leading thinkers and doers give the talk of their lives in 18 minutes (or less). Look for talks on Technology, Entertainment and Design -- plus science, business, global issues, the arts and much more.

Comments

• C Mc
    C Mc Posts: 4,463

Mitch,
    Mr. George Takei's story was sad, yet inspirational. America seems to have mastered the art of getting it "wrong" before she gets it right.This is reflective of her history. e.g. treaties with Native Americans, Slavery, Jim Crow Laws, Plessy vs Furgerson, Education System, Child Labor, Mass incarceration, unfair taxation (then and now), etc.

America is slow about correcting her wrongs. She does it to the next generation, if at all, and not to the one she offended. Yet, she is called by some "a Christian Nation." On one hand, she brings out the best in some (Mr. Takei/family, Jessie Owens, Jackie Robertson, NASA, etc.). And, on the other hand, she brings out the worse in others (Robert E. Lee, Killing of MLK/ JFK, Tuskegee Syphilis Experiments, "Big Pharma", etc). Yet, people still desire to come to her shores with hopes, dreams and a willingness to endure treatment as Mr. Takei's Family encountered.

It has been said, "America, love her or leave her." I am not as articulate as Mr. George Takei, but adding my voice to his; I would say, America is an Enigma of Contradictions. CM

• Dave_L
    Dave_L Posts: 2,362

This perfectly illustrates what the bible teaches about not judging others by our own hearts, in which case we condemn ourselves. Thinking of others, "that's what I'd do if I were in their shoes." But instead judging others only by the fruits they bear.

• C Mc

Is America about to mess up again? In view of:

• School safety
    • Guns in general
    • Taxes
    • New Elections
    • Russia Interference

CM

• GaoLu
    GaoLu Posts: 1,368

Thanks for sharing that incredible, inspirational message.

• C Mc

America no shame? What's wrong? DEPORTATION OF U.S. ARMY VETERAN!

ICE DEPORTS U.S. ARMY VETERAN TO MEXICO AFTER SERVING TWO TOURS IN AFGHANISTAN

http://www.newsweek.com/ice-veteran-deported-mexico-miguel-perez-army-immigration-859972

Miguel Perez Jr., 39, was brought to the U.S. from Mexico legally when he was 8, according to the Chicago Tribune. Perez, who held a green card, attempted to retroactively gain citizenship as a veteran but was denied due to a felony drug conviction.

Perez mistakenly believed that he automatically became a citizen when he enlisted, according to Slate, a fate that has befallen a number of veterans who have arrived in the U.S. and then joined the military in a quest to become citizens.

In a statement to Newsweek, ICE confirmed that Perez had been deported and noted that military service is a positive factor when determining actions ICE takes.

Perez joined the Army in 2001 and served until 2004. Upon returning Perez was diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder from a Chicago-area Veterans Affairs hospital.

AMERICA IS UP TO HER OLD WAYS AGAIN-- USE PEOPLE AND DUMP THEM. NO LOYALTY, NO LOVE NO CONSIDERATION. Please, pardon Miguel Perez Jr, Mr. Trump! CM