Derective or Permissive will of God?

According to your understanding of the Bible are events like the recent Florida school shooting indicative of the Derective Will of God or the Permissive will of God? Please, elaborate and explain your understanding of scripture and how particular passages in scriptures relate to the events in consideration. Thank you in Advance.

Comments

• Dave_L
    Dave_L Posts: 2,362
    edited February 2018

Thanks for the question about God's part in the violence we see. I do not think God has a "permissive will". Simply because nothing exists or moves of its own accord. Paul says "for in him, we live and move and have our being." "Permissive will" is like saying "I plugged the fan in, and the electricity permitted the blades to spin".

And we do not absolve God of creating the evil we see by blaming it on "free will". Because an omniscient God would certainly be responsible for all of the wicked free will acts by creating them and energizing their fulfillment.

So for me, I ask "what is it Jesus saves us from in the end?" He saves us from the righteousness of God. God, who would not be good if he did not punish sin with death. But since God is merciful, he took his own wrath in the place of all who trust in Christ as his only payment for their sins.

Not that trusting in Christ will protect from violence, but it will turn it into something far better than life on earth could ever provide.