Media Love Mass Shootings

Comments

• Dave_L
    Dave_L Posts: 2,362

I've had a hunch for many years that people do notoriously bad things because they know it will grab worldwide headlines. I don't think a media blackout would be a good thing, but I wonder how much it contributes to the problem.

• dct112685
    dct112685 Posts: 1,114

@Dave_L said:
    I've had a hunch for many years that people do notoriously bad things because they know it will grab worldwide headlines. I don't think a media blackout would be a good thing, but I wonder how much it contributes to the problem.

Well I do wonder the same thing considering mass shootings did not happen with the near frequency they do now until mass 24/7 news media came about and social media as well.

• GaoLu
    GaoLu Posts: 1,368

Of course the media loves it. Nothing sells ads better than lots of readers. Stockholders demand the bottom line.

• C Mc
    C Mc Posts: 4,463

@davidtaylorjr said:
    https://www.nratv.com/series/commentators/episode/commentators-season-8-episode-1-the-media-loves-mass-shootings

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

Well I do wonder the same thing considering mass shootings did not happen with the near frequency they do now until mass 24/7 news media came about and social media as well.

@GaoLu said:
    Of course the media loves it. Nothing sells ads better than lots of readers. Stockholders demand the bottom line.

Oh, come on, brothers! Cameras and news organizations are like guns. They don't cause crime or mass shootings.They just report them. All the news-media crews around the world haven't caused one mass shooting. "What’s good for the goose is good for the gander."

Have you no shame or compassion? Seventeen (17) people massacred in a schoolhouse, mostly students, and you are disappointed the news media carried the story? Wow! When will it stop? We're reaching a level of where we need to catch ourselves. CM

PS. Stop carrying water for "Fox News" and the NRA!!!

• GaoLu

I have a different point of view. CAmeras and news media most certainly do provide a moment of attention for some who desperately want that. Further, the liberal bias has done inestimable damage to our country. May God have mercy and give us time to repent.

• dct112685
    dct112685 Posts: 1,114

@C_M_ said:

@davidtaylorjr said:
    https://www.nratv.com/series/commentators/episode/commentators-season-8-episode-1-the-media-loves-mass-shootings

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@GaoLu said:

Oh, come on, brothers! Cameras and news organizations are like guns. They don't cause crime or mass shootings.They just report them. All the news-media crews around the world haven't caused one mass shooting. "What’s good for the goose is good for the gander."

They do glorify them in a weird sort of way.

Have you no shame or compassion? Seventeen (17) people massacred in a schoolhouse, mostly students, and you are disappointed the news media carried the story? Wow! When will it stop? We're reaching a level of where we need to catch ourselves. CM

This fact has nothing to do with shame or compassion. We never said the media shouldn't carry the story. We are saying the level at which they dissect every piece of it and put it on the air 24/7 for days is over the top and gives these shooters the platform they so desperately seek. Perhaps you have no shame in vilifying your brothers when we point out a legitimate issue.

• GaoLu
    edited February 2018

I knew a young man killed by a random drive-by-shooting. The perp was angry at his wife, grabbed a gun and took off down the road to shoot something. He took pot shots at the first car he saw. My friend was killed.

The local newspaper picked up the story on the front page. Then a brief follow-up. There were a few seconds on national TV. The end. Where was the howl and cry about gun control? NRA?

Nada. Why?

There was a fatal flaw that prevented the reporting. The young man was a popular, outspoken Christian which permeated every aspect of his vibrant, joyful life and he was headed for the mission field. The media couldn't deal with that. Christianity and politics seemed fatally locked in opposition. Christianity has no choice but to win. We already know the last chapter in the Book.

• C Mc

They do glorify them in a weird sort of way.

Maybe you can watch your beloved Fox News. CM

This fact has nothing to do with shame or compassion. We never said the media shouldn't carry the story. We are saying the level at which they dissect every piece of it and put it on the air 24/7 for days is over the top and gives these shooters the platform they so desperately seek.

Sorry, you can't "turn back the hands of time". We live in a 24/7 news world. They are just like your beloved NRA. They are generating interests and making money for their shareholders. Is it not the job and nature of a News Analyst, commentator, an investigative report, to look from every point of view?

Perhaps you have no shame in vilifying your brothers when we point out a legitimate issue.

Don't "shoot" the messenger. CM

@GaoLu said:
    I knew a young man killed by a random drive-by-shooting. The perp was angry at his wife, grabbed a gun and took off down the road to shoot something. He took pot shots at the first car he saw. My friend was killed...There was a fatal flaw that prevented the reporting. The young man was a popular, outspoken Christian which permeated every aspect of his vibrant, joyful life and he was headed for the mission field. The media couldn't deal with that. Christianity and politics seemed fatally locked in opposition. Christianity has no choice but to win. We already know the last chapter in the Book.

I am very sorry for your friend. However, a gun in the hands of Christian is just deadly in the hands of a mass shooter, an atheist, or an agnostic. CM

• Mitchell
    Mitchell Posts: 668

@C_M_ said:

A very excellent point.

However, I doubt that those who believe that everything has been fated or that everything is the 'decretive will of God' can have compassion.

• C Mc

@Mitchell said:

@C_M_ said:

A very excellent point.

However, I doubt that those who believe that everything has been fated or that everything is the 'decretive will of God' can have compassion.

Do you believe this? Why would one lack compassion about something, he or she knows that is God's will? Am I to understand you to say a person not knowing God or his will is more inclined to have or show compassion to one with a loss? Enlighten me. If not here, at the designated thread. CM

• Mitchell
    Mitchell Posts: 668

One: I neither said nor hinted about not knowing God or about those who do not know God.
    Two: I used the word fate
    There: my comment touches on various Christian ways of understanding God sovereignty.

For example here are four of most common ways of understanding God's sovereignty:

(a) There are Christians who understand God's Sovereignty to mean to
    Decretive Willof God, Permissive Will of God, and the Preceptive Will of God.

(b) There are Christians who understand God's Sovereignty to mean only:
    The Decretive will or Perfect Will, and reject the notion that there is a permissive will.

(c) There are Christians who understand God's sovereignty to mean:
    Both the Decretive/Perfect will and the Permissive Will

(d) There are Christians who understand God's sovereignty to mean:
    only the Preceptive will.

I believe that Christians who hold to fate or the decretive will of God may lack compassion because anything according to their paradigm everything that happens no matter how good or bad has been decreed by God. I think a look at the threads on the topic of Guns and the events in Florida will show evidence of a lack of compassion by those who hold to the divine fate theory.

I think it much more natural and easy for Christians who hold to (a), (c), or (d) to be compassionate than those who hold to (b). I am not saying that all those who hold to (b) are absolutely not compassionate, but rather than holding to (b) could lead some to become or come off as cold.